"6 Ways Nintendo Will Save Us From Awful Shooter Video Games"

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Sorry, no cliff notes because I'm lazy and at work. Hilarious article reiterating why Splatoon is a refreshing take on the genre.

AAA video game releases are a bubble big enough to blot out the sun. The headline-grabbing midnight launches of all the latest and iterate-est shooters are aimed squarely at the Halo-frat demographic that made billion-dollar games possible. But that aggressive niche is so noxious that games now have ratings to keep them from playing with children. That's why so many developers claim it's impossible to render a female model in games that already have dozens of models. They're not scared of the challenge. They're scared of what their own fanbase will screenshot.

In Splatoon your first choice is whether you want to play as a girl or a boy. The second is your skin color. That's exactly as hard as it ever should be.

The fact that every game doesn't offer this is terrifying. Unless racial purity is a big part of your game's narrative, in which case WHAT THE HELL? The idea that the narrative of games like Gears Of Warcouldn't tolerate a change of protagonist is laughable. That game would work the same if you glued a gun and a Speak & Spell to a fridge carried by a forklift.

It's also inclusive across the age gap. For a long time I almost lived in Team Fortress 2, one of the most fun and friendly shooters, and I still can't share it with my friend's family because my favorite thing is setting fire to spies and hitting them with an ax wrapped in barbed wire. Splatoon lets parents play with their kids. It's introducing the next generation to online shooters.Mario introduced almost an entire generation to video games. Now Nintendo is widening the market again. It's the perfect shooter for a post-gamer world.

Because everyone games now. The people who clutch games to their chests as an entire identity are seen the same way as people who wait around train stations to take down the locomotive numbers. They can be a bit creepy, but it's OK as long as they're not attacking anyone. And we're not going to change our destination to suit their tastes.
More at the jump via http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-nintendo-will-save-us-from-awful-shooter-video-games/

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Aww that's right! I've seen a lot of parents who like to play Splatoon with their kids, it really does change up the shooter genre.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
It's Cracked guys there is always hyperbole since that generates more clicks.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Well, you didn't say much, so help me understand why we "can not"?
Bashing other games you don't like. It's one thing to dislike other shooters, but it's another thing to furiously **** on them while praising Splatoon as if it were the second coming of Jesus. It's just extremely childish.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
praising Splatoon as if it were the second coming of Jesus
...wait. IT ISN'T?!?

Seriously, yeah, the article feels a little over the top from time to time, but in general I agree with the author. I was never a fan of shooters at all, but I love Splatoon, so Nintendo must have done something right.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
It's Cracked. It's meant to be over the top for the sake of funny.

The article does a good job.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Yea, it's for people with a sense of humor and a knowledge of sarcasm. It's not that funny if the jokes fly over your head, or if you take one of their humor articles too seriously.

Overall, it's a good article, and it brings up a lot of good points about the game, but they add the sensationalist headline as a joke.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Yea, it's for people with a sense of humor and a knowledge of sarcasm. It's not that funny if the jokes fly over your head, or if you take one of their humor articles too seriously.
There are many differing types of humour. I happen to disagree that a "knowledge of sarcasm" is needed for one to understand this article. Simply put: it had valid points, but wasn't overly funny.
And to everyone complaining about how "over the top" it was: this is nothing compared to most click baits..

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
I whole heartily agree with this article, and the bashing it does to the more stagnant shooters of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom