AeroSpray MG

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I have been thinking a lot about splatoon competitive wise (as is most of us from what I have seen from this website lol). I saw an advertisement about the game on Youtube that shows the sub-weapon for the Aerospray Mg (for those of you who cannot remember, the Aerospray Mg is the fast version of the shooter).

The sub weapon is the mobile ink bomb that follows opponents before exploding, however in the event that there is no enemy nearby, it travels in a straight line laying ink as it goes.

This subweapon seems like it will be CRUCIAL to any team playing competitive, but why?

Well the weapon lays ink in front of you automatically, and allows you and your team to stay in squid form at the start of the match to have an incredibly fast rollout to the middle of the map. If anyone has played tf2, they will know that a fast rollout to mid in can make or break a team who wants control of the middle of the map.

A team with initial control of the middle of the map will have a larger area of control as their side of the map AND the middle area is now theirs to ink.

A possible strategy is to have 3 players rollout to mid as a roller stays behind to cover their side of the map. Another is to have all 4 go to mid and ink their side after they have control of mid.

What is your thoughts? Do you think that a fast rollout will be crucial for middle control? Do you have another strategy for a fast rollout? I'm interested to hear more theories about this game!

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Theres that technique called inkjumping or squid jumping that lets you move very quickly as well. There are trade offs here though, its all meta right? you spend all of your efforts rushing middle and the enemies just flank; ignoring your rush and cover what you didn't behind you?

that mobile ink bomb will be neat though. adds a lot of territory while you are in squid form.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
I think that the fast rollout will be crucial in the ranked battle types we know of at the moment. Not so much for turf wars.

However, a long range splat charger may be able to provide a similar effect to this device at less of an ink cost.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
Theres that technique called inkjumping or squid jumping that lets you move very quickly as well. There are trade offs here though, its all meta right? you spend all of your efforts rushing middle and the enemies just flank; ignoring your rush and cover what you didn't behind you?

that mobile ink bomb will be neat though. adds a lot of territory while you are in squid form.
Well the problem with inkjumping is that you cant do it at the beginning of the round lol. However the weakness at the flank does pose a problem that would have to be addressed. Possibly have a player run the flank? It honestly depends on the map as some maps have a very prominent flank route (SaltSpray Rig) while others have a small side path that is still connected to mid (like walleye warehouse)

SpecialtySake

Pro Squid
I have been thinking a lot about splatoon competitive wise (as is most of us from what I have seen from this website lol). I saw an advertisement about the game on Youtube that shows the sub-weapon for the Aerospray Mg (for those of you who cannot remember, the Aerospray Mg is the fast version of the shooter).

The sub weapon is the mobile ink bomb that follows opponents before exploding, however in the event that there is no enemy nearby, it travels in a straight line laying ink as it goes.

This subweapon seems like it will be CRUCIAL to any team playing competitive, but why?

Well the weapon lays ink in front of you automatically, and allows you and your team to stay in squid form at the start of the match to have an incredibly fast rollout to the middle of the map. If anyone has played tf2, they will know that a fast rollout to mid in can make or break a team who wants control of the middle of the map.

A team with initial control of the middle of the map will have a larger area of control as their side of the map AND the middle area is now theirs to ink.

A possible strategy is to have 3 players rollout to mid as a roller stays behind to cover their side of the map. Another is to have all 4 go to mid and ink their side after they have control of mid.

What is your thoughts? Do you think that a fast rollout will be crucial for middle control? Do you have another strategy for a fast rollout? I'm interested to hear more theories about this game!
Sounds brilliant to me. Really, that's the fastest rollout!
I'd say that fast rollout would be important depending on the map. Where it would be crucial on a map like Walleye Warehouse, really. Taking the mid and keeping it. Maybe not so much on a map like Saltspray, though.

Last edited:

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
If you're going with the rush to the splat zone strat (which is going to probably be the best opener for splat zones), it's likely that faster yet is to just have your roller go all the way to mid with a fast roller and speed perks with the team swimming behind, inking key points as they go while keeping up (since swimming is vastly faster than run move speed and non-rollers will probably have swim speed perks). If people want to try flanking you, they're going to have a long walk around; just means more time for you to hold the point completely uncontested. Any frontal assaults will be held off because you got into the superior positions first. And as long as you notice the flank (which you often will because in organized you'll be able to call out unaccounted for enemies), it should be fairly easy to answer.

Vayu

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baamin
Well, we already know what weapon we will be seeing a lot of online.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Great gameplay. It told me a lot of info about the Ink Strike, the Kraken, and the Mine.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
This game is like TF2 on consoles except its a whole game lol.

But yeah, the ink bomb seems like it will lend itself to be really good in Splat Zones where you have too get to the zones quickly.

StormPhrax

Full Squid
NNID
joelsmart01
We know from footage that ranked battles are very fast paced and close quarters, so the rollout that this provides could be really handy + and damage dealt. :D:D:D:D

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think it's pretty neat, it'll probably have a large impact on close quarters games.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
The Ink Bomb sounds pretty cool but I feel it won't have too much use if there isn't someone around. Sure it lays ink down but it's like the Spat Charger in which it won't do too much good if laying ink is what you're solely after. The bomb is more for offensive play (again, kinda like the Splat Charger). But as the past two posts have said, it will prove to be useful in Splat Zones and in close quarters environments.

As for strats, I think sticking close by would be the best strategy since rushing will be very common (and is common if you've played any KoTH or territory type game) and will prove to be effective. One crucial element will be weapon balance between the teams. If one team has 3 rollers, they won't be getting far since a charger or a shot can pick them off from a distance and easily take control of the map. =/

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
the seeker, imo, is something like a handicap for mobility

having a sub that sets down a straight path of ink ahead of you seems well and good, since it's basically like a mini roller player that'll detonate after a short period of time, but once you get the hang of the various movement techniques debated about, or if they don't come into fruition, really basic stuff like how to optimize inking ahead of you, it starts being a convenience instead of an actual useful tool. you're giving up your sub slot of other useful tools like the splat bomb's or splat wall's immediate area denial, or team assist stuff like the echolocator and point sensor (which may only have real appliction in higher level play, to be fair.) it'll slowly become a hindrance to yourself instead of a true movement option.

however that said i think the aerospray itself actually looks like a great weapon, in spite of that. it has a stupid high fire rate which leads to probably one of the fastest if not the fastest time to kill out of all the weapons in the game that aren't a one hit kill like a stampede from a roller or a full charge from a charger. its fast fire rate also lends itself to be a great ink coverage tool, since you can cover so much area in such a little amount of time, in spite of its short range. speaking of which, it's range seems identical to the splattershot jr...

..and the absurd rate of fire will probably compensate for the damage reduction very well. since it's spray isn't a semirandom cone of likelihood where the projectiles will land, and it fires in a faster succession than the jr., it might actually outdo the jr. as a weapon. however there's still reason to keep the jr. after you've acquired the aerospray; we've already established that the seeker is a niche tool, at best, and the bubbler is an amazing special. it's basically a mini ubercharge.

imo definitely one of the most promising sets we've seen so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom