• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Another disconnect thread.

Emerald Acid

Inkling
So, I'm a player that's had Spla2n since its launch, but basically fell off the wagon for many many years (only got to L25 before stopping, and the majority of FreeLC weapons didn't exist yet), and I'm trying to get back into it now, due to Chugga's ongoing LP of it, as well as Splatoon 3 coming soon (which I intend to get on launch).

The reason why I stopped as early as I did was because I had poor Switch internet at the time; it was wireless and not in a good location at all so the signal was poor. But as I try to come back now I still have recurring, almost regular issues with the connection. It's not every match, but on bad days it could be as often as every other match in Turf, or even every attempt at Salmon Run when it gets to the third wave. I don't know why, but I want to get this fixed sooner than later, especially since it shouldn't be nearly as bad as this due to having better options now. Various speed test sites have put my download varying between 100 and 200 mbps (so we'll say around 150 for middle ground) and upload speed generally between 13 and 23mbps.

Things I've already done:
I have a wired ethernet adapter (original day one Switch model, so no ethernet port built in)
I already changed my MTU to 1500.
Everyone else in the home is asleep and not using any bandwidth aside from my sister, who uses so little bandwidth it shouldn't even register; she doesn't even watch YT videos outside of rare occasions. Just basic web page browsing for shopping and/or reading, unless it's a Zoom call with a doctor (which I wouldn't try playing games against anyways).

Things I can't do:
Anything involving messing with or tweaking the router.
Buying something extra expensive.

Other things of note:
I'm not experiencing any lag during the matches; when it works it works wonderfully, with nary more than the ever-present 1-3 frames of lag present in all online games.
No other device in the house or game on the PC has any issue with connectivity, and especially not to this degree.

Any advice or steps I missed in terms of things on my end that I can do to make things more stable? Or am I just SoL because I have average tier American internet infrastructure speeds on top of Nintendo-based online and P2P.

Last edited:

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Not exactly a networking expert here, but the info you gave should reflect a consistent connection.
It's unlikely to work miracles, but manually setting your DNS settings on your Switch to use another resolver (I recommend 1.1.1.1) may help a bit.
Your best bet is at the router, though. If you can, setting your Switch to high priority might help with the consistency of your connection.
Connection issues suck. Hope you can get this resolved!

Emerald Acid

Inkling
Not exactly a networking expert here, but the info you gave should reflect a consistent connection.
It's unlikely to work miracles, but manually setting your DNS settings on your Switch to use another resolver (I recommend 1.1.1.1) may help a bit.
Your best bet is at the router, though. If you can, setting your Switch to high priority might help with the consistency of your connection.
Connection issues suck. Hope you can get this resolved!
Unfortunately, even in the advanced settings there wasn't any option I found to give priority to any specific device or router port.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
To give the short version, there's only so much you can do to improve your connection because the netcode for Splatoon 2 is terrible. It was researched in great detail years ago, click here for a link to OatmealDome's website, a prominent dataminer who's done a lot to reveal how Splatoon 2 and other games work under the hood.

It was reported by OatmealDome and other dataminers that apparently Nintendo's implemented new, better netcode into the Switch, but only for future games. All existing games are left as they are. So let's hope Splatoon 3 is better in this regard, but for Splatoon 2, it is what it is.

Emerald Acid

Inkling
To give the short version, there's only so much you can do to improve your connection because the netcode for Splatoon 2 is terrible. It was researched in great detail years ago, click here for a link to OatmealDome's website, a prominent dataminer who's done a lot to reveal how Splatoon 2 and other games work under the hood.

It was reported by OatmealDome and other dataminers that apparently Nintendo's implemented new, better netcode into the Switch, but only for future games. All existing games are left as they are. So let's hope Splatoon 3 is better in this regard, but for Splatoon 2, it is what it is.
So in short, with all the changes and actions I've taken on my end already (haven't tried changing the DNS yet like the previous post suggested), I'm pretty much SoL if the game decides I'm having a bad day (today was one of them. I got through two runs of Salmon Run ok before getting plagued, and only like three Turf Wars before getting hit again, and I stopped out of punishment worry).

Stuck worrying about if I try to play too much in a single sitting I could get the hammer due to DCs, even though none of them are intentional on my part.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Unfortunately, yeah. Best you can do is shore up your own connection.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I had this problem for a long time and I couldn't figure out what it was. I tried to systematically go piece-by-piece through my entire system to see what was causing the problem and - eureka! It was my router. I plugged my ethernet cord directly into the modem, bypassing the router entirely, and I didn't dc anywhere near as much. What I think is happening is that the router is dropping my connection for like a millisecond, which doesn't affect anything else in the house besides Splatoon. My best advice is to try out a new router.

Emerald Acid

Inkling
I had this problem for a long time and I couldn't figure out what it was. I tried to systematically go piece-by-piece through my entire system to see what was causing the problem and - eureka! It was my router. I plugged my ethernet cord directly into the modem, bypassing the router entirely, and I didn't dc anywhere near as much. What I think is happening is that the router is dropping my connection for like a millisecond, which doesn't affect anything else in the house besides Splatoon. My best advice is to try out a new router.
Seems my terminology was bad, then. Router, modem, a lot of people (myself included) pretty much use the term interchangeably, but for the most part, any of the "little black internet boxes" get called routers in my home.

In that case, we don't actually have a generic router. I believe we have a router/modem hybrid. We only have one device where all the personal rooms in the home (four of us live here) have an ethernet connection that runs through the walls through wall outlets, and all meet up at the "do not touch" modem in the master bedroom's closet, that's connected to the dish outside via in-wall cables. Yet we also still have a wireless network attached to and emanating from the same device (for phone and laptop internet).

So unfortunately, plugging into the modem is something I already have going (through the wall outlet), and plugging the Switch *directly* into the modem itself with no middleman (said outlet) isn't an option for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom