Are the updates not actually on-disc?

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
So my Wii U was having some internet issues earlier today, it couldn't connect to the internet. I started up Splatoon, and it simply started without even showing Callie and Marie with the news broadcast. It can't even show what stages are available without being connected. This of course makes sense, if you can't play online, of course there's no reason to show you, in fact, it couldn't as it wouldn't know what stages were selected for play worldwide.

But this got me thinking, what if all of the stages available, all of the matches you're able to get into, are simply streamed online rather than being a part of the game itself? Maybe this means the updates aren't actually on-disc, but are simply streamed when they become "available." This would also make the new maps not being available on the Battle Dojo make more sense, as they're not programmed into the game, they would actually need a patch.

I know it's just a crazy theory and probably not true, but what do you think?

lolsniper541

Inkling
NNID
lolsniper541
The kelp dome is featured in one of the single player levels, and was available before the map was put into the multiplayer map cycle, so I think all the stages are on the disk. Nintendo just picks and chooses which ones are currently in play. I'd be willing to bet it would work the same way with the weapons and clothes.

callmediego

Inkster Jr.
NNID
callmediego
Everything seems to be on disc as only two of the maps aren't a single player level. Also, many of these weapons and maps were seen during the reviewer period and in the Prima guide. If you don't have to download a 100MB+ update then it is on the disc.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I'm pretty sure that the game just needs internet to be told to activate the new stage. All the information is already on the disc, though.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm pretty sure that the game just needs internet to be told to activate the new stage. All the information is already on the disc, though.
I agree with this, it makes enough sense.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
There has been one update downloaded since the game launched, and that was when Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, and Zapper were introduced into play. I'd be willing to bet that the download included some code for making ranked matches work. I also think possibly the Zapper was downloaded then, because I had never heard of the Zapper being added before. I feel like it was a sudden addition.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
^ Hm, I never noticed that! It could just be a quick update that occurs in the background while starting the game.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
There has been one update downloaded since the game launched, and that was when Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, and Zapper were introduced into play. I'd be willing to bet that the download included some code for making ranked matches work. I also think possibly the Zapper was downloaded then, because I had never heard of the Zapper being added before. I feel like it was a sudden addition.
That patch came a day after Ranked, Port Mackerel, and the N-Zap were already out. It was just a bugfix.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Dropping in, yes, everything "released" thus far was included in the initial release. Every actual update is just code patches. What they do is when you first start up the game and connect to the internet, they send a flag to your game to "unlock" it for use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom