Ballpoint Comp Builds and what the gear means

M2Nova

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4074-1996-1312
I am currently top 3 for the weapon on the SendouQ leaderboard and have been playing the weapon since I got into comp back in Splatoon 2 during the year 2022. I have been failing to make a video guide to this weapon since Splatoon 3 came out and I am no longer limited by characters on twitter.
Important abilities to run on Ballpoint Splatling (BP for short)
- Run Speed Up (RSU)
- Special Power Up (SPU)
- Drop Roller (DR)
- Ink Resistance Up (Res)
- Intensify Action (IA)
- Quick Super Jump (QSJ)

Some more niche abilities
- Object Shredder (OS) Used more for when Crab meta due to the ability to deal 520 damage with a direct Inkjet shot to Crab not much use case in the current meta outside of really hating Wavebreaker and Splash Wall
- Sub Power Up Good on specific maps and modes like Brinewater Zone and Flounder Zones when long range is less effective and has a good curve at lower levels
- Last Ditch Effort (LDE) No real reason for this to be in your main build, only good along side Sub Power Up with double Fizzy Bomb after max LDE and 0.1 Sub Saver
- Opening Gambit (Gambit) It's just really funny and might be worth looking into simply due to the fact having 3 mains of RSU, SSU (Swim Speed Up), Res and IA is all something BP wants if you are able to keep the buffs up. Probably good for solo tho

Why top players run the stuff they do
2.3 RSU is for the 70% max effectiveness of the ability and allows BP to run at incredible speeds while charging or firing in short range. Drop Roller is for the movement buff of RSU, Swim Speed Up and Res for three seconds after Inkjet's recall or a Superjump landing (Note when running DR you cannot dunk power clams as the DR overrides your throwing input) and at 2.3 RSU that equals to max RSU speed. 0.2 SPU is a utility sub for Inkjet as it just makes the special feel better to use as it gives a 14.29% bigger radius and 20% longer duration and longer distance shot. Another common SPU threshold is 1.1 SPU as this gives the Inkjet one extra shot if you just hold down the fire button plus a 42.86% bigger radius and 40% longer duration and longer distance shot when players go for this build they usually drop a main of RSU to hit this threshold and is made up for with Drop Roller. 0.2 Res is for moving while firing the main weapon so your quick moment isn't stopped by touching enemy ink. The two to three sub slots remaining are very customizable as they just are utility subs at the end of the day and whichever ones you find more important you run, most players end up with 0.2 of IA and 0.1 of QSJ or 0.1 of IA and QSJ depending on your remaining slots.

More niche stuff
OS builds are just the standard build of 2.3 RSU, 0.2 SPU, 0.2 Res, 0.2 IA and then OS over DR

LDE and Sub Power Up builds force you to drop IA , QSJ and DR from the standard build to make room so what you end up with is LDE 2.3 RSU, 0.2 SPU, 0.2 or 0.1 Res, 0.1 Sub Saver then 0.1 or 0.2 of Sub Power Up depending on what ranges you need to hit on what stages (For example from snipe on Flounder Heights you need 0.2 Sub Power Up to hit both Zones and with max LDE you can double Fizzy both Zones)

Gambit is just really funny so do not actually use this in tournaments but you want to build it like Gambit 1.5 RSU, 1.1 SPU, 0.2 SCU and 0.1 QSJ.

If you have any more questions for me please feel free to reply here or DM me on Discord at M2Nova

M2Nova

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4074-1996-1312
I am currently top 3 for the weapon on the SendouQ leaderboard and have been playing the weapon since I got into comp back in Splatoon 2 during the year 2022. I have been failing to make a video guide to this weapon since Splatoon 3 came out and I am no longer limited by characters on twitter.
Important abilities to run on Ballpoint Splatling (BP for short)
- Run Speed Up (RSU)
- Special Power Up (SPU)
- Drop Roller (DR)
- Ink Resistance Up (Res)
- Intensify Action (IA)
- Quick Super Jump (QSJ)

Some more niche abilities
- Object Shredder (OS) Used more for when Crab meta due to the ability to deal 520 damage with a direct Inkjet shot to Crab not much use case in the current meta outside of really hating Wavebreaker and Splash Wall
- Sub Power Up Good on specific maps and modes like Brinewater Zone and Flounder Zones when long range is less effective and has a good curve at lower levels
- Last Ditch Effort (LDE) No real reason for this to be in your main build, only good along side Sub Power Up with double Fizzy Bomb after max LDE and 0.1 Sub Saver
- Opening Gambit (Gambit) It's just really funny and might be worth looking into simply due to the fact having 3 mains of RSU, SSU (Swim Speed Up), Res and IA is all something BP wants if you are able to keep the buffs up. Probably good for solo tho

Why top players run the stuff they do
2.3 RSU is for the 70% max effectiveness of the ability and allows BP to run at incredible speeds while charging or firing in short range. Drop Roller is for the movement buff of RSU, Swim Speed Up and Res for three seconds after Inkjet's recall or a Superjump landing (Note when running DR you cannot dunk power clams as the DR overrides your throwing input) and at 2.3 RSU that equals to max RSU speed. 0.2 SPU is a utility sub for Inkjet as it just makes the special feel better to use as it gives a 14.29% bigger radius and 20% longer duration and longer distance shot. Another common SPU threshold is 1.1 SPU as this gives the Inkjet one extra shot if you just hold down the fire button plus a 42.86% bigger radius and 40% longer duration and longer distance shot when players go for this build they usually drop a main of RSU to hit this threshold and is made up for with Drop Roller. 0.2 Res is for moving while firing the main weapon so your quick moment isn't stopped by touching enemy ink. The two to three sub slots remaining are very customizable as they just are utility subs at the end of the day and whichever ones you find more important you run, most players end up with 0.2 of IA and 0.1 of QSJ or 0.1 of IA and QSJ depending on your remaining slots.

More niche stuff
OS builds are just the standard build of 2.3 RSU, 0.2 SPU, 0.2 Res, 0.2 IA and then OS over DR

LDE and Sub Power Up builds force you to drop IA , QSJ and DR from the standard build to make room so what you end up with is LDE 2.3 RSU, 0.2 SPU, 0.2 or 0.1 Res, 0.1 Sub Saver then 0.1 or 0.2 of Sub Power Up depending on what ranges you need to hit on what stages (For example from snipe on Flounder Heights you need 0.2 Sub Power Up to hit both Zones and with max LDE you can double Fizzy both Zones)

Gambit is just really funny so do not actually use this in tournaments but you want to build it like Gambit 1.5 RSU, 1.1 SPU, 0.2 SCU and 0.1 QSJ.

If you have any more questions for me please feel free to reply here or DM me on Discord at M2Nova
Nerd stuff
2.2 RSU 68.16% Run Speed 65.91% Charging/Shooting in Short Range 64.62% Shooting in Long Range
2.3 RSU 71% Run Speed 71.63% Charging/Shooting in Short Range 70% Shooting in Long Range
1.3 RSU 53.88% Run Speed 51.82% Charging/Shooting in Short Range 50.77% Shooting in Long Range
1.3 RSU plus DR 96.94% Run Speed 94.55% Charging/Shooting in Short Range 93.08% Shooting in Long Range
100% is 2.3 plus DR

0.1 Sub Power Up gives 9.2% more range and faster velocity
0.2 Sub Power Up give 18.75% more range and faster velocity
Double Fizzy at 2.1 Sub Saver or Max LDE plus 0.1 Sub Saver

0.1 SPU 14.29% bigger radius 10% longer distance and duration
0.2 SPU 14.29% bigger radius 20% longer distance and duration
0.3 SPU 28.5% bigger radius 26.67% longer distance 28.3% longer duration
1.0 SPU 28.5% bigger radius 30% longer distance 31.7% longer duration
(Extra shot beyond here)
0.4 SPU 28.5% bigger radius 36.6% longer distance 36.7% longer duration
1.1 SPU 42.86% bigger radius 40% longer distance and duration
For the funny you get 9 shots at 3.9 SPU

*All Percentages are out of the maximum effectiveness of the ability (3.9)

Last edited:

spindash

Inkster Jr.
THANK YOU so much!! I like seeing what popular builds on Sendou are, but I like having context this informative for what those numbers actually mean. It makes me much more likely to be interested in the weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom