Carbon Roller Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I'm focusing a lot on special charge up, with a secondary focus on ink recovery. I tried builds with swim speed up, but that didn't seem as helpful. I really needed Seeker Rush to capture turf and exert pressure on the enemy team.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm focusing a lot on special charge up, with a secondary focus on ink recovery. I tried builds with swim speed up, but that didn't seem as helpful. I really needed Seeker Rush to capture territory and exert pressure on the enemy team.
Have you tried Special Duration Up? How many abilities would it take to throw an extra Seeker, given the speed they're thrown at in Seeker Rush?

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
Seekers are really a great weapon that most ppl don't know how to use effectively. They are more a distraction tool. You don't have to hit them with the seeker itself or even follow the trail. Just use them at a time when you have your opponent pinned and force them to dodge left or right, then punish the dodge. The seeker rush can be nice for covering large areas of turf in Splatzones, or covering a large area for the Rainmaker to escape or reach the goal better, and seeker rush can also be good for standing on the tower in Tower Control and just letting the seeker rush go to anybody who dares approach the tower. The downside to seeker rush is that the seekers come out kinda slow, so you have to be careful where you deploy it. A regular seeker can easily take out someone who is in seeker rush mode since when you are in seeker rush mode you are standing for a while like a big target. That's why I suggest using it on the tower or above areas in Splatzones or above any ledge. I think seeker rush can be great for Rainmaker on Camp Triggerfish. There are wide paths to spread ink for the seeker rush. Seekers are also great on grated areas since it is impossible for your opponent to go into squid mode in those situations. No sub is an automatic kill. Seekers are definitely a lot better than most think.

That said, I would like the seeker rush on a different weapon other than the carbon roller. The carbon roller is a bit weak and needs damage up which takes away from other abilities you could run. The Splattershot Jr would be nice for seeker rush. You could cover long distance and have up close covered with your gun.

Anyway, this is not a bad kit. Yeah the regular is probably better, but the deco can work to if you use it right. Git gud...

I'm focusing a lot on special charge up, with a secondary focus on ink recovery. I tried builds with swim speed up, but that didn't seem as helpful. I really needed Seeker Rush to capture turf and exert pressure on the enemy team.
One Ink Recovery Up is enough. You don't have to use the seekers all the time. Swimming in the trail toward your goal, the tower, the zones, or the ranmaker will help you get the ink back fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Seekers are really a great weapon that most ppl don't know how to use effectively. They are more a distraction tool. You don't have to hit them with the seeker itself or even follow the trail. Just use them at a time when you have your opponent pinned and force them to dodge left or right, then punish the dodge. The seeker rush can be nice for covering large areas of turf in Splatzones, or covering a large area for the Rainmaker to escape or reach the goal better, and seeker rush can also be good for standing on the tower in Tower Control and just letting the seeker rush go to anybody who dares approach the tower. The downside to seeker rush is that the seekers come out kinda slow, so you have to be careful where you deploy it. A regular seeker can easily take out someone who is in seeker rush mode since when you are in seeker rush mode you are standing for a while like a big target. That's why I suggest using it on the tower or above areas in Splatzones or above any ledge. I think seeker rush can be great for Rainmaker on Camp Triggerfish. There are wide paths to spread ink for the seeker rush. Seekers are also great on grated areas since it is impossible for your opponent to go into squid mode in those situations. No sub is an automatic kill. Seekers are definitely a lot better than most think.

That said, I would like the seeker rush on a different weapon other than the carbon roller. The carbon roller is a bit weak and needs damage up which takes away from other abilities you could run. The Splattershot Jr would be nice for seeker rush. You could cover long distance and have up close covered with your gun.

Anyway, this is not a bad kit. Yeah the regular is probably better, but the deco can work to if you use it right. Git gud...
I agree, Seeker Rush should be on more weapons, especially one with more range. Something mid-low range particularly.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Hey question for the thread: what are the setups you're using for this weapon?
I've been using
Swim Speed Up x6
Ink Recovery Up x4
Special Charge Up x3
Special Saver x3
Ink Saver Sub x2
I counted one main slot of an ability as 3 of an ability, and the mains are Swim Speed Up, Special Charge Up, and Ink Recovery Up.
It's worked fairly well for me. The mobility is nice, and I can sit at range and shoot off Seekers every couple of seconds, or followand have most of my tank to work with fairly quickly. Maybe I could've done better with some Special Duration and another Special Charge, but I like what I've got right now.

Also, @Jeffrizzel you can move while firing the Seeker Rush off, and you don't have much delay between firing a Seeker and being able to do other stuff, so you can just squid to the side a bit and continue your boatspam pretty easily if you see a Seeker coming.
And yeah, Seekers in general are just amazing on Rainmaker Triggerfish. All those small corridors make tossing Seekers a valid strategy, and it's not hard to slap people who dodge them since the small corridors make it difficult to get away from flick range.
I love using this weapon on Rainmaker Triggerfish. It's probably alright for TC there too, simce it has the connector-bridge-thing.
Not so much Splat Zones, the lack of connector-bridge-thing and proximity of the Zones to one another makes the regular Carbon preferable there (since Burst Bombs and Inkzooka can shoot from one Zone to the other, while I don't believe Seekers can). Although I suppose if you got behind a team and spammed boats from their side by the grate, you could make it work.
Come to think of it, that's pretty much how I decide whether to go Deco or pick one of my other weapons; If upward reach or the ability to shoot over gaps will be needed, I pick one of the other options, but if not, I'll consider the Deco.
Which probably explains why I so rarely pick the Deco for solo Ranked. There's no guarantee that any of my teammates will be able to cover my weapon's flaws, so I generally go Octobrush (which has even worse range issues, but can play support with Beakons and occasionally go in with Kraken), Tri-Slosher (range isn't the best here either, but Disruptor/Bubbler is a spectacular support combination, and the power is great) or Hero Shot Replica (the cool Splattershot; Burst Bombs + Damage & Bomb Range Up makes a decent long-range threat, plus it can do mid- and close-range combat fairly well).
Come to think of it, most of the weapons I use lack offensive sub-weapons (except the Hero Shot). Might explain why I'm so enamored (I think that's the word I'm looking for) with the Deco's Seekers.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.

Also, yeah, Seeker Rush should be on more stuff, but I dunno what would work well with it. Maybe a Luna Blaster? Or perhaps a Dynamo Roller? Possibly a Squiffer?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've been using
Swim Speed Up x6
Ink Recovery Up x4
Special Charge Up x3
Special Saver x3
Ink Saver Sub x2
I counted one main slot of an ability as 3 of an ability, and the mains are Swim Speed Up, Special Charge Up, and Ink Recovery Up.
It's worked fairly well for me. The mobility is nice, and I can sit at range and shoot off Seekers every couple of seconds, or followand have most of my tank to work with fairly quickly. Maybe I could've done better with some Special Duration and another Special Charge, but I like what I've got right now.

Also, @Jeffrizzel you can move while firing the Seeker Rush off, and you don't have much delay between firing a Seeker and being able to do other stuff, so you can just squid to the side a bit and continue your boatspam pretty easily if you see a Seeker coming.
And yeah, Seekers in general are just amazing on Rainmaker Triggerfish. All those small corridors make tossing Seekers a valid strategy, and it's not hard to slap people who dodge them since the small corridors make it difficult to get away from flick range.
I love using this weapon on Rainmaker Triggerfish. It's probably alright for TC there too, simce it has the connector-bridge-thing.
Not so much Splat Zones, the lack of connector-bridge-thing and proximity of the Zones to one another makes the regular Carbon preferable there (since Burst Bombs and Inkzooka can shoot from one Zone to the other, while I don't believe Seekers can). Although I suppose if you got behind a team and spammed boats from their side by the grate, you could make it work.
Come to think of it, that's pretty much how I decide whether to go Deco or pick one of my other weapons; If upward reach or the ability to shoot over gaps will be needed, I pick one of the other options, but if not, I'll consider the Deco.
Which probably explains why I so rarely pick the Deco for solo Ranked. There's no guarantee that any of my teammates will be able to cover my weapon's flaws, so I generally go Octobrush (which has even worse range issues, but can play support with Beakons and occasionally go in with Kraken), Tri-Slosher (range isn't the best here either, but Disruptor/Bubbler is a spectacular support combination, and the power is great) or Hero Shot Replica (the cool Splattershot; Burst Bombs + Damage & Bomb Range Up makes a decent long-range threat, plus it can do mid- and close-range combat fairly well).
Come to think of it, most of the weapons I use lack offensive sub-weapons (except the Hero Shot). Might explain why I'm so enamored (I think that's the word I'm looking for) with the Deco's Seekers.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.

Also, yeah, Seeker Rush should be on more stuff, but I dunno what would work well with it. Maybe a Luna Blaster? Or perhaps a Dynamo Roller? Possibly a Squiffer?
With you using Swim Speed Ups, would it be a good idea to use Ninja Squid (not to counter it) so people don't see you swimming up the Seeker's trail? Unless of course they see you throw the Seeker in the first place.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
For me, I'm beginning to use this weapon in my Rainmaker set as opposed to the Aerospray MG. Seekers are a primary part of my strategy here, and I've honestly rarely been in roller mode (my swim speed mains/run speed subs scheme is primarily with the Rainmaker in mind as opposed to my actual weapon, and my squad jokingly calls me the meat shield of the team because of it).

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
With you using Swim Speed Ups, would it be a good idea to use Ninja Squid (not to counter it) so people don't see you swimming up the Seeker's trail? Unless of course they see you throw the Seeker in the first place.
I tried it, but generally I need to go fast more often than I need to go unseen. And besides, if I'm swimming along my Seeker's trail, I'm right under the Seeker, so they probably can't see me anyway and won't shoot me (people generally shoot at the Seeker's trail, not the Seeker itself, in my experience, so it should work).
Plus, I tend to pull this out for Rainmaker, where I sometimes carry it because I have a lot of Swim Speed, and Ninja Squid negates that while not giving me stealth with the Rainmaker (the glow is still there). Not so great there.
It could work (stealth is quite useful), but it just isn't for me.

And people generally see me throw the Seeker anyway unless I'm on one end of a ramp or really far away.

So, quick question: Does Run Speed Up affect your movement speed while throwing Seekers? I know it doesn't affect rolling speed, but if it makes my run speed while boatspamming faster then it might be somewhat useful. But I dunno.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
So, quick question: Does Run Speed Up affect your movement speed while throwing Seekers? I know it doesn't affect rolling speed, but if it makes my run speed while boatspamming faster then it might be somewhat useful. But I dunno.
Haven't tested it, but I will tonight. Will edit or post with results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom