Casters in Competitive Games

Should there be Caster slots in Lobbies?

• Total voters

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
A big question I have is casters. Should there be caster slots when the lobbies are released? I think there should be because casting seems like it can be a big part of the Competitive Scene. As well as give a good coverage to people who are newer to the scene and may not know as much as the rest of us. I know all of this is a bit far off but I like bouncing ideas off you guys. Caster slots or no?

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with competitive 'shooters'. What exactly is a caster ?

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with competitive 'shooters'. What exactly is a caster ?
It's not just shooters, it's sports/esports in general. A caster is one of those guys who sits at the desk interviewing people/players, commentating games, and/or bringing news and info.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It's not just shooters, it's sports/esports in general. A caster is one of those guys who sits at the desk interviewing people, commentating games, and/or bringing news and info.
Ah, I understand. Thanks.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Could OP or someone please elaborate a bit more on this (or provide a source of information where people can read up on it)? How would you envision this to be implemented in Splatoon? It sounds like an interesting idea, but to reiterate what has been already stated, not all of us are familiar with electronic sports. When I think of a sports commentator or reporter, I think of the people on TV who are actually at a specific event on a set/sidelines/locker room or following events from a studio set. I'd be interested in better understanding how this translates to video games.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Let me clear things up here.

Usually, shooters have what is called a "spectator" mode. This means players can enter the lobby and spectate the game without being a player. For tournaments, there are people who "commentate," or call the match. They are called "casters." Usually, the tournament will have someone be the "spectator" and watch the game using spectator mode, while the casters watch this view and call the match.

Splatoon doesn't have a spectator mode. For a similar system to be implemented, a player would have to occupy one of the slots in the game without participarting so that the game can be "spectated."

Of course, this obviously won't work very well. For a 4v4 match, there won't even be room for an additional spectator (usually when there's a spectator mode, viewers are not counted in the lobby population).

What will have to happen is that the broadcast will have to take the feed from one individual setup, which means they'll have to watch the tournament from solely that player's perspective, unless they get a ATEM/Tricaster or a bunch of HDMI splitters or something.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
Let me clear things up here.

Usually, shooters have what is called a "spectator" mode. This means players can enter the lobby and spectate the game without being a player. For tournaments, there are people who "commentate," or call the match. They are called "casters." Usually, the tournament will have someone be the "spectator" and watch the game using spectator mode, while the casters watch this view and call the match.

Splatoon doesn't have a spectator mode. For a similar system to be implemented, a player would have to occupy one of the slots in the game without participarting so that the game can be "spectated."

Of course, this obviously won't work very well. For a 4v4 match, there won't even be room for an additional spectator (usually when there's a spectator mode, viewers are not counted in the lobby population).

What will have to happen is that the broadcast will have to take the feed from one individual setup, which means they'll have to watch the tournament from solely that player's perspective, unless they get a ATEM/Tricaster or a bunch of HDMI splitters or something.
I think having from two perspectives would be the best way to go but streaming the thing will not only be hella difficult to set-up but it will also be very difficult for viewers and commentators alike to track certain plays and player positions.

I hope if the competitive scene becomes a major thing for this game Nintendo will consider adding a spectator mode.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I think having from two perspectives would be the best way to go but streaming the thing will not only be hella difficult to set-up but it will also be very difficult for viewers and commentators alike to track certain plays and player positions.

I hope if the competitive scene becomes a major thing for this game Nintendo will consider adding a spectator mode.
Yeah right now, I can really only see Splatoon being done competitively by large organizations that can afford all the resources to make a tournament and its online broadcast run correctly, and any locals that are somehow the exceptions.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Spectator mode won't happen i guess but maybe we will be able to watch Replays in the future~

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Yeah right now, I can really only see Splatoon being done competitively by large organizations that can afford all the resources to make a tournament and its online broadcast run correctly, and any locals that are somehow the exceptions.
and that money isn't really going to come out of nowhere, especially for a brand new IP on an unpopular console

competitive splatoon is going to be almost exclusively online and enjoyed by the players, unless features like LAN are available to the publiuc and a spectator mode similar to what we see in counter strike and other competitive shooters is implemented. don't take this is a hugely negative thing - we can have a perfectly healthy scene that goes on to live for years, even without those kinds of features, but it is a shame that they're not present is all...

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I fully expect a spectator mode to be made a DLC update later. I think it's reasonable, if a bit conservative of Nintendo, to not start the game with it--it's not a trivial design task, and would've delayed the game's release to post-E3. From a marketing standpoint, the game is basically in a test stage. If its competitive scene explodes (as I think it will), you can expect more support features to be made available.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I fully expect a spectator mode to be made a DLC update later. I think it's reasonable, if a bit conservative of Nintendo, to not start the game with it--it's not a trivial design task, and would've delayed the game's release to post-E3. From a marketing standpoint, the game is basically in a test stage. If its competitive scene explodes (as I think it will), you can expect more support features to be made available.
To be fair, having a spectator mode isn't exclusively tied to competitive players. It's a design choice that benefits all players - competitive players aren't the only people that want to see other people play or watch replays.

ShimaPantsu

Inkling
NNID
ShimaPantsu
Realistically I dedicated caster slot in the lobby mode is not going to happen. Only thing I can see happening that can sort of be a substitute barring a spectator mode would be a "coaches" feature found in some competitive games. It could be something that Nintendo might create to help people with more knowledge coach those learning how to play. That "coach" slot can be used by potential casters to have a view of the map and see the movements of players. Although in the end nothing would beat a dedicated caster or spectator mode option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom