Competitive Ranks?

Suhitto

Inkling
This is a team based game. I am positive that you cannot just group everyone together in one giant rank like you would in games like Super Smash Bros. or Street Fighter. There needs to be divisions like in all team based games. CS:GO has the competitive matchmaking ranks, TF2 has the UGC (Iron, Steel, Silver, Gold, Platinum), ESEA (Highest rank, Invite), ETF2L, etc. ranks, Dota uses a ranking system similar to the ELO system, LoL has Challenger, Master, Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze ranks. Question is, will there be ranks? What would they be called?

For tournaments, will it be through LAN, or is it going to be online? Because if it's online, I'm positive you can't host servers. If it somehow can happen online, how will communication be done? Communication is a very important part of team based games, and I think that to prevent lag and micspam, Nintendo won't let people talk during the game. So will things like Mumble be the norm?

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I think competitive teams will figure out a way to communicate even if it ends up being speaker phone.

I think Nintendo will eventually flesh out the ranking system as the game ages. For now (before the teaming option) players have the C- through A+ ranking which basically function like a tiered elo scoring system.

Suhitto

Inkling
Hm, okay. That'll do for now. I just want to know if the community will make the divisions for tournaments, because there's a chance Nintendo won't do tournaments based off different divisions, so it's always the pros that win, so when betting, there's only like 3 teams that can actually win.

EDIT: there's a chance Nintendo might not make tournies at all. Divisions = Better for all the teams IMO

The best teams shouldn't just steamroll and kill the feelings of the other teams and the ability for the competitive scene to grow.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
That's a very good thought. I mean generally Higher level teams who think they have a higher range of success go for bigger prize pools. If you are passionate about this idea though you could definitely run events that create opportunities for new or weaker teams to player against each other with out the larger teams entering and dominating.

Suhitto

Inkling
Or I could start a league. With enough dedication, it can be organized with TOs to make dividing tournaments into skill levels easier.

Suhitto

Inkling
Alright if I get enough money to put up a website to make my ideas that don't exist yet a Splatoon League Website should come up.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Alright if I get enough money to put up a website to make my ideas that don't exist yet a Splatoon League Website should come up.
You may not even need to invest your own Money into it. SquidBoards is already a great resource and has a bunch of inkling swimming around ready hear your ideas. And I'm sure there are plenty of like minded people around here who will be willing to help you, maybe even some who have already share and have started towards your goals. Take a peak around.

Suhitto

Inkling
You may not even need to invest your own Money into it. SquidBoards is already a great resource and has a bunch of inkling swimming around ready hear your ideas. And I'm sure there are plenty of like minded people around here who will be willing to help you, maybe even some who have already share and have started towards your goals. Take a peak around.
Very true, but what I'm thinking of is like a team thing where you can get teams / crews made, it gets added to a system, you can upgrade your teams' div, change your roster, etc. Obviously people won't be able to spam, so the teams will be made by admins after being approved, but ownership is granted to them, obviously. I want a scrimmage system (between two teams) and a season-ly online tournament system as well, where around every 4 months, a tournament happens, so I would need help from the admins here, since it's such a large addition.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
there is a LAN functionality in the game; it's been used at venues like E3, PAX, and the original APEX 2015 venue before it got evacuated, and the fact that splatoon will be in gametrucks further evidences that there is some way to access it. will it be available to the general public and consumers? we don't know, probably not unfortunately, considering that nintendo hasn't spoken about it at all besides "yeah, we're using LAN for venues," but considering the dev team is implementing private lobbies and team vs team matchups in a patch in august, i think they understand the desire for players to take the game seriously. if it's not in the game, we can pressure nintendo for it, and if they don't budge that's too bad, but sakaguchi and his team have been shown to have an open mind.

as for how we're going to rank players online? well, it's not a fighting game, so of course we can't just not have something like that, but the game's not even out and we can't even really begin to hypothesize how splatoon's UGC or ESEA will form, or how one of us will go about structuring it and implementing it for the community to use. i feel that it's a bit of a premature discussion to have (such as the banning thread,) and there's nothing we can really say other than "it's something we'll figure out when we get to it"

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
This is a team based game. I am positive that you cannot just group everyone together in one giant rank like you would in games like Super Smash Bros. or Street Fighter. There needs to be divisions like in all team based games. CS:GO has the competitive matchmaking ranks, TF2 has the UGC (Iron, Steel, Silver, Gold, Platinum), ESEA (Highest rank, Invite), ETF2L, etc. ranks, Dota uses a ranking system similar to the ELO system, LoL has Challenger, Master, Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze ranks. Question is, will there be ranks? What would they be called?

For tournaments, will it be through LAN, or is it going to be online? Because if it's online, I'm positive you can't host servers. If it somehow can happen online, how will communication be done? Communication is a very important part of team based games, and I think that to prevent lag and micspam, Nintendo won't let people talk during the game. So will things like Mumble be the norm?
Well you actually can have players add each other or whole teams to have a custom lobby when those drop in August. Just like we do for competitive MK8 and Smash. Also as far as voice communication is concerned honestly it isn't a problem like at all. There are so many other ways to keep in contact while playing (Teamspeak, Mumble, Gamevox, Skype, etc.) so a group/team can easily use one of those sources if needed which are all free. Also, say Splatoon did have ingame voice chat, look how it is for Smash and MK8 it would still be the crappy gamepad mic. In closing we have found away around all these problems to make Nintendo games competitive before we will do it again.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
What <π pretty much said. Although the in-game ranking is for individual players. It's could still be a good indication when you make some sort of average out of each player's ranks.

If anything is done about a ranking system for competitive teams or something similar, I'd be really happy to help out. I'm more than able to help with anything web-related. If it's something that the tournaments could benefit from, I would love to keep in touch with Suhitto or anybody also interested in the idea.

Somehow it makes me think of something like Pokemon TCG with points and stuff like that. But in any case, it still worth the try and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom