• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Confused on controller Options.

hiiiiCastle

Inkling
NNID
SouthernSalmon
Can we only use classic controller/pro controller offline and are forced to use the gamepad for online?

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Not sure, but it does seem like gamepad will be the only way to play in anything but the local multiplayer dojo. Especially in online multiplayer. You wouldn't be able to jump to teammates without it. At least that's the way it seems now. It hasn't really been confirmed either way to my knowledge.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Gamepad is the only way to control the game online. Or at least that is what the game manual is making it sound like. Also, you can only aim with either the gyro scope, or the r-stick. Gyroscope seems to be ideal, since you can still tilt the r-stick on the x-axis, you just can't use it to control the camera on the y-axis.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I'm fairly certain that the gamepad is forced onto players both offline and online, unless you're playing dojo with a friend. This makes sense considering the mini-map transportation and visual reminder of things happening on the map.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I hope not, but they have been very vague about the controller options so who knows, honestly?

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
I'd be pretty disgusted if the gamepad was the only controller option to operate the game. I'm assuming you can use other variations of controllers but they would be accommodated with the gamepad, kinda like MK8.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't know why people are so against the gamepad. It works completely fine as a controller for other games. Honestly, I think the gamepad is going to feel great for this game. It sounds weird on paper, but when you use it, it will most likely feel natural, making you wonder how else you could play this game.

Last edited:

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
I just recently got a Wii U pro controller and I have to say, if they don't have support for other controllers online I'll be really disappointed. I was used to the gamepad but after switching to the Pro Controller I can't go back. Gamepad is too clunky and I don't like having my hands so far apart.

Sadly I don't really see them adding in other controller options >_>

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Yeah I think the Game Pad is the only controller option for online at the moment, and that's solely because of the super jump, which is screen reliant, which is also why the Pro Controller is used in offline, no team mates so no super jumping. If the Pro Controller was allowed online it'd put that player at a disadvantage (and therefore the team) since they couldn't super jump.

That being said, it could totally be patched in via putting the map in the corner screen and just tilting the 2nd analog stick to pick which player to jump to. I feel we could push for this if enough people voiced their desire for it.
But personally I'm fine with the Gamepad, nothing wrong with it at all.

Zwarm

Inkling
I really hope I can use my Pro Controller, the ZR button on my gamepad sticks. No other problems with the controller aside from that, but that's a pretty big deal if ZR ends up being the shoot button.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I really hope I can use my Pro Controller, the ZR button on my gamepad sticks. No other problems with the controller aside from that, but that's a pretty big deal if ZR ends up being the shoot button.
It is the shoot button.

hiiiCastle

Inkling
NNID
SouthernSalmon
Yeah my touch screen has been busted for a while and warranty is gone, I've gotten around most games due to other control options. Hopefully I can use my gc controller (wiimote adapter) because luckily this game doesn't use L. When it comes to the mini map maybe we can just click minus or something and it brings up the map and were able to click on who we wanna move to or just have a mini map on the tv screen.

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
I honestly don't see how people are getting confused by this.

-GamePad for Player 1. You use Left Stick + Gyro for aiming, or Right Stick if no gyro. Period.

-The Pro/Classic Controllers are for Player 2 in Battle Dojo only.

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Right Stick if no gyro.
The right stick is also used for tilting and looking around when gyro is on. That's how you turn your inkling around with having to actually spin 180 in your chair.

It's GamePad or bust, folks. Time to learn to love it.

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
The right stick is also used for tilting and looking around when gyro is on. That's how you turn your inkling around with having to actually spin 180 in your chair.

It's GamePad or bust, folks. Time to learn to love it.
You wouldn't have to spin in your chair 180 even without it.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
The gamepad is so fragile i really would rather another control option hopefully they add some in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom