Controller Mods to Help Play Splatoon 2 Better

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
So the purpose of this thread is two-fold:

1. Go on and tell everyone what joycon or pro controller mods you'd want in order to specifically play Splatoon 2 (and no other Switch game) better.

2. I want to tell everyone the mod I want in the off-chance that someone has encountered this somewhere already.

What is that mod? Thank you for asking:

I play with split joycons, which I've talked about way too much on this site. My perfect mod. makes the right joycon a mirror image of the left joycon. That's right. I want the joystick and the buttons to switch places on the right joycon. (I've included a handy picture below.)

joycons.PNG

The biggest hassle when playing with split joycons is quickly moving the camera with the right stick. Mostly, it's fine, and I've gotten pretty good at flicking the stick in the direction I want, but it's not perfect and it's certainly not comfortable (even though it's not like I rest my thumb on the right stick. I want to be able to use my thumb again).

Of course, the jump button would have to be on the upper most button in this configuration because there's no way I'm going to want to reach all the way down to nearly the home button just to jump (again, uncomfortable).

Another upside of this modded right joycon would be easier/more comfortable handheld mode play... because handheld mode is an atrocity at the moment due almost exclusively to the right stick placement.

What are your ideas? Do you know if the thing I want is actually easy to do/possible?
I'd be a-okay with ripping apart a right joycon to make this dream a reality.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I want to remap the button layout in every game.
I couldn't agree more with this. I don't want camera reset Y as I find I accidentally press this in combat and struggle dealing with some messed up orientation.

But as far as the OPs comment about if that's possible, well most things are possible if you're willing to put the effort in haha. I can't speak for how the electrical is on the inside (not sure how things are tied into the PCB), but to accomplish the physical flipping the analog and buttons, you'd need to 3D print (or some other method if you find something more cost efficient) the cover for the buttons and analog stick to stick within. So I'd say if you can get your hands on an electrical diagram for it, or if you've got ample money and just wanna go for it, start there and look into 3D printing the part - just remember tolerances!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yay~ another split joycon user (though mine needs to be fixed).

I'd like some sort of pro controller joycon hybrid. A nice fit for my hands, firm feel, and doesn't make me think I can easily crush it or quickly wear its buttons out.

Also, your post is very timely due to this one-handed mod announcement:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yay~ another split joycon user (though mine needs to be fixed).

I'd like some sort of pro controller joycon hybrid. A nice fit for my hands, firm feel, and doesn't make me think I can easily crush it or quickly wear its buttons out.

Also, your post is very timely due to this one-handed mod announcement:
Part of what got me thinking, actually. I need to buy a 3D printer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom