• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Controller Options

Wafty

Inkling
NNID
WaftyIsGassy
So its confirmed you can only use gamepad for Splatoon. Opinions? I know A LOT of people wanted to use a pro controller or classic. Personally I liked the gamepad, feels good but ive only played for in hour long sessions. When i play MK8 for long periods of time with gamepad my hand starts to cramp.. really hope this isnt the same case.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I understand why they made the decision to make it Gamepad only, with the exception of the Battle Dojo. There are people that are going to be disappointed by this news. Personally, I'm fine with using the Gamepad but an option to use the Pro Controller would be nice to see.

Azure

Inkling
NNID
grayscaleVacancy
It would be bad for the pro controller since the super jump thing and the map is on the Gamepad. And it would feel really weird to play with the pro controller and then use the game pad for the map and the super jump.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I think it's the right call.

People keep whining about options, and more options is better. But that's not always the case. Is a restaurant that has fine steak and steaming piles of manure on its menu a better restaurant than one that just has the steak?

Obviously it's an absurd example, but really... when making a video game, you have to think very hard about the overall experience you're trying to deliver. And that includes the control options, as that's how your player interacts with the game. If Nintendo strongly feels that the GamePad is the only way to really enjoy Splatoon to its fullest, then I'm not going to try and give them crap for that. And given the game's mechanics... there's no real denying that using anything other than the GamePad would put you at a huge disadvantage.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
The Wii U Gamepad is so awesome i don't know why so many people dont like it

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It wouldn't be hard to work around the pro controller. Map Super Jump to D-Pad , Display Map on Gamepad. I hope they add more controller support don't wanna wear out my gamepad.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
I hope in a later patch/update, Nintendo includes full implementation (as in, both in single-player and multiplayer) of not only the Pro and Classic Controllers, but (in my opinion) more importantly the Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk, as I prefer pointer-based controls even to dual analog + gyroscope. Also, what's wrong with putting the GamePad on a nearby stand? It worked fine in Pikmin 3, as I could still view the map without having tilt my head downwards. Not to mention even with the GamePad in your hands, you still have to move some of your fingers away from the main controls to super jump anyway, so I doubt there would be much of a delay in touch inputs with a slightly farther away GamePad.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
I hope in a later patch/update, Nintendo includes full implementation (as in, both in single-player and multiplayer) of not only the Pro and Classic Controllers, but (in my opinion) more importantly the Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk, as I prefer pointer-based controls even to dual analog + gyroscope. Also, what's wrong with putting the GamePad on a nearby stand? It worked fine in Pikmin 3, as I could still view the map without having tilt my head downwards. Not to mention even with the GamePad in your hands, you still have to move some of your fingers away from the main controls to super jump anyway, so I doubt there would be much of a delay in touch inputs with a slightly farther away GamePad.
Nintendo are Nintendo, they'd probably just explain that it would be 'awkward' without the gamepad in your hands and then brush off every complaint after that.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
This comes as no surprise to me. I kinda figured it would happen like this.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
If there's no pro controller support many people are going to end up complaining. If your gamepad malfunctions or just breaks it's not like you can go to a gamestop and buy one for $50. Getting it repaired can cost up to $100 and you literally cannot play the game with anything else until it comes back. It's just silly

Winter Soldier

Inkling
Tbh I kind of liked the motion controls. Sure it would be nice to have the option, just as it would be nice to have the option for voice chat. However I don't think either take away much from the gameplay. I tried switching the motion controls off during the testfire and it didn't feel right to me.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Yeah, not surprising. The gamepad is comfortable for me, but I can understand why some people don't want to use it. I expect a little nerd rage coming from the gamepad haters, but I have to say it's really a fine controller if you give it a chance.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
The Wii U Gamepad is so awesome i don't know why so many people dont like it
There are a few reasons why someone could dislike the gamepad. For people with smaller hands, actions like holding the gamepad in the recommended position or having to reach over to touch a certain spot on the touch screen could get tedious. Some people can also get bad hand cramps holding the gamepad. I personally really like the feel of the gamepad, but seeing more controller options would be nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom