Could I get some help and opinions on this gear please?

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
Hey guys, I made my way through S with the aerospray and custom jet, and I've recently discovered how outstanding the Octoshot is. It's great of course, but I need some help with my gear. And not wanting to sound like a jerk, but I'd really prefer opinions of those in higher ranks only please.

I already decided on my shirt and shoes, anchor sweat and red high tops. It's common I know, but it works well. But those four abilities are all I feel that I really need. For my hat, and thinking either pure special savor or defense. Some people use run speeds, but I tried those and have played against it but it doesn't really make you harder to hit.

I guess my question is, what would be more effective on an octoshot. Two defense ups, or two special savors? I usually die like 6 or 7 times, so special savor seems better than charge up btw.

Color

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cubecolor
Hi! S+ player who mains octoshot here, tbh special savers are really unnecessary for octoshot, inkzooka is very helpful to take out snipers or longer ranged weapons but other than that it's p useless, if you where using a splattershot jr I'd understand stacking up on special savers, but here it's not as crucial. I personally use the lightweight cap for the speed, and since it's inkline brand it has a higher chance of rolling triple defense up. I've also used the takoroka mesh because again, gotta have those defense ups. I feel like quick respawn is also incredibly helpful? I use the retro gamer jersey with triple damage ups and it's proved to be much more useful than anchor sweat. (Although cold blooded can save your butt in some occasions) idk these are just my personal preferences, but use whatever you think benefits your play style!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Probably more swim speed on the hat. The most successful build is usually the "Sonic" build, which stacks swim speed and run speed. I'd agree with you, though, that run speed isn't as important (I still use 3-4 subs of it though).

I'd try:
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Helps a little with the suction bomb.
Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Can let you absorb an extra shot against .52s and Tentateks without dmg up. Probably not as useful without stacking lots more defense though.
Two Stripe Mesh :head_cap010: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Helps you keep around 50% (iirc) of your special if splatted.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I already decided on my shirt and shoes, anchor sweat and red high tops. It's common I know, but it works well. But those four abilities are all I feel that I really need. For my hat, and thinking either pure special savor or defense. Some people use run speeds, but I tried those and have played against it but it doesn't really make you harder to hit.

I guess my question is, what would be more effective on an octoshot. Two defense ups, or two special savors? I usually die like 6 or 7 times, so special savor seems better than charge up btw.
Imo, running anything less than 9 subs of defense (or relative equivalent like 2 main 3 subs) is ineffective and won't benefit you as much as other abilities would so if you don't want more defense then I'd recommend something else. If you're dead set on your shirt and shoes then I'd suggest the Bike Helmet. You'll really appreciate the quickness of ink recovery and saving an entire second on respawn will be a nice bonus. Or if you're feeling lucky and can get at least two ink recovery subs on the amiibo hair clip that would be best.

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
Why should I use another swim speed? I get a ten percent increase on only 1 main, and the diminishing returns are great. Why do people run this so much?

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Why should I use another swim speed? I get a ten percent increase on only 1 main, and the diminishing returns are great. Why do people run this so much?
Because maneuverability is crucial in Splatoon. The faster you can get from point a to point b the better. I've personally found 1 main 3 subs of swim speed to be the sweet spot; enough movement to get out of most dangerous situations with a hasty retreat. Also it's valid on pretty much every weapon because everyone uses swimming for movement.

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
Ive played this game for a long time and I cant believe I havnt thought of that myself. thanks, lol, I think Ill use the two stripe mesh

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i'm basically damage up swim speed and ink what ever combo gives me the most of these 3 items balanced out i can't say what ones i use 100 percent because i mix and match according to maps

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Alright, I'm A+ (bordering on S) so I hope you'll hear me out. The tentatek/octoshot is one of my main weapons, so I have a good amount of experience with it.

Personally, I am of the opinion that defense up isn't worth it unless you run three mains. With just one, the only thing you're really protected from is splash damage from bombs or blasters. Even then, the difference is often negligible at best.

I actually love run speed up, but that's just my opinion. Also, you can never go wrong with an inksaver (main), or maybe ink recovery up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom