Defense Up Abilities

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
alright, so now that i got my hands on the game i'm up to level 5 and got all the weapons up to the .52 gal, and noticed something on the training room in ammo knights (sorry for the low quality pic...)

the bunch of squid balloons on the high ground, you ever notice that some have patches? those represent defense up abilities, and with all the 5 weapons i have so far, here's something i noticed: the amount of shots it takes to kill stays the same, until you get to the 2 or 3 patches.

splattershot jr:
  • no patches, 4 shots
  • 1 patch, 4 shots
  • 2 patches, 4 shots
  • 3 patches, 5 shots
splattershot:
  • no patches, 3 shots
  • 1 patch, 3 shots
  • 2 patches, 4 shots
  • 3 patches, 4 shots
.52 gal:
  • no patches, 2 shots
  • 1 patch, 2 shots
  • 2 patches, 3 shots
  • 4 patches, 3 shots
a close range flick of the roller always splatted, as did 3 uncharged shots of the splat charger. now of course i don't have all the weapons so i can't say for sure, but i think you see the trend... defense up only really makes a difference in high numbers. it's not worth it to have just one or have it as a sub-ability (unless its in very high quantity.) i would only want to roll with either 2 defense ups and 1 other ability, or none at all.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Going off this info, then stacking things like defense may not be as powerful as some might think.

Of course in a game like this, one shot can mean the difference between life and death, but it's good to know even if you roll everything right, you can't just juggernaut opponents with defense boosts, I imagine the same applies to the inverse, attack buffs.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
Quality data, it matches up with some of my own experience: I stacked up 4 defense mods for a couple matches... I didn't notice much of a difference. If somebody catches you out or you're sloppy with your aim, you're gonna drown in their ink whether it's in 3 shots or 4.

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
Nice find. I'd be curious to see the same test done with the attack-up abilities. My guess is we'll see something similar. Thanks for this!

Robbydude

Inkling
NNID
YoBoyRobby
can someone test how strong it is against chargers? if you can survive a full charge with any amount of defense that could be really good

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
can someone test how strong it is against chargers? if you can survive a full charge with any amount of defense that could be really good
full charge shots are instant kills regardless, like being run over by a roller

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom