• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dev's Approach to Patches

Diolass

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0746-2241-9712
The philosophy of having minor nerfs to popular weapons and minor buffs to unpopular main weapons is probably the best thing for Splatoon. I think this is the best approach to patching a game.

I only wish they noticed problems with certain weapons sooner. The pencil + shot points for special nerf should have taken place last season.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
How long has Snipewriter been terrorizing the meta for? I don't think it's a good thing that Nintendo seems too afraid to make meaningful changes ever.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I like how a friend of mine put it. This would be a good, solid patch... If patches were every 2 weeks. This update schedule isn't great.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i personally like drastic changes, it makes things more interesting even if things go terribly wrong. it’s also kinda funny. it would also change what is good and bad more often instead of constantly being stuck with zooka and pencil.

minor changes only would be a good way to make sure nothing gets overtuned or underpowered, but it’s pretty slow and right now, they don’t make enough small changes for it to actually work super well

it’s probably best to have big and small changes. if they make a big change to something, they have an entire community of players to test it out and give them actual data if it was too good or too bad. after that point, it would be a good idea to make the small changes and get whatever they’re changing to a near perfect spot. with how long these games have been out, they have a lot to work with when it comes to how big or small of changes they need to make. i think they might just be more focused on making the rest of the entire game, that part is pretty important. this is probably why previous patches were kind of lacking (side order). this is also probably why each game has had like an extra year or something just for balance patches.

there was a drastic change to cooler that took it from being something you don’t consider to being a good option in inkjet meta to being absolutely necessary on your team. this might be contradictory to what i said about liking drastic changes, but the thing is, they didn’t do the next step of toning it back down. overall, the best way to balance the game is probably a mix of drastic and minor changes, but they aren’t able to focus on just balance so they aren’t able to make the perfect changes all the time. there are problems with both by themselves, but i think together they work a lot better.

had this one in the drafts earlier i just completely forgot to actually hit the reply button my bad

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Minor changes to unpopular and weak weapons tends to go wrong anyway. Many of Splat 2's most imbalanced weapons resulted from lots of random buffs to unpopular weapons over time. People would realize the weapon was strong like 2-3 buffs passed it already being good, so it was suddenly overtuned. If those slow buffs are going to overtune stuff anyway we might as well have more drastic changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom