• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Does anyone else still play the original exclusively?

X-BIRT

Inkster Jr.
I still only play Splatoon 1; because sadly, I do not own a Switch, and lack the funds to acquire one. I was wondering if anyone else is stuck on the original like I am. Let me know if you are, I'd be interested to see.

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
I own a Switch but I prefer the OG over 2. I only play 2 more because I have a team.

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
I've had Splatoon 2 since launch day but I have to agree with seaWEED the first is better and I still play it. However I too am on a competitive team for Splatoon 2.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I have both games as well, and while I play Splatoon 2 a bit more, I still play the original as well, even after reaching S+ lvl50 and having bought everything while still having 8.6 million coins left over. I was actually surprised when I reached level 50 in the original, as I didn't realize I had been that addicted to the game. Now in Splatoon 2, I'm only level 34 despite having felt like I've put countless hours into the game. The original game just gives me this feeling of overall bliss that the sequel just doesn't. It may just be nostalgia, but I do thoroughly believe Splatoon 1 is a better designed game from both a gameplay and an aesthetic perspective.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I think the second is worth it, the crisper graphics and in my opinion the better atmosphere make it slightly more enjoyable for me. Plus there’s new hairstyles, so I don’t have to stare at the same boring ponytail all the time. I know if I say I like S2 more people will be out for my head, but whatevs.

Last edited:

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I know if I say I like S2 more people will be out for my head, but whatevs.
I don't care if someone likes Splatoon 2 more, but didn't you say at one point that you never had the original?

The graphics are better overall, but I still miss the old shading for the tentacles. The orange "hair" turned more purple as it got darker further down, but they removed this and now it just turns brown.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
but didn't you say at one point that you never had the original?
Hmmm, I don’t remember saying that. Maybe I said something that sounded like that but I did put a lot of time in the first game. I do like the atmosphere to S2 a bit more because the first game felt a lot more like it was aimed at kids, which I guess is because it obviously was, but I feel like with S2 they acknowledged the older people playing it more and I like that.
still miss the old shading for the tentacles. The orange "hair" turned more purple as it got darker further down, but they removed this and now it just turns brown.
I agree with you on that, it was a nice detail.

X-BIRT

Inkster Jr.
I know if I say I like S2 more people will be out for my head, but whatevs.
Really? From what I've seen, the sequel does alot of things the OG should've. At least, IMO. Ranked modes have different grades, a weapon class based on defense, ect. Though at the end of the day, I think it should've done far more. But, that's for another thread.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Really? From what I've seen, the sequel does alot of things the OG should've. At least, IMO. Ranked modes have different grades, a weapon class based on defense, ect. Though at the end of the day, I think it should've done far more. But, that's for another thread.
At the end of the day, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. People can consider whichever Splatoon game they want as the best one and it’s all good in the end as long as long as we can respect each other’s opinions which I can say we’ve all done quite well ;). That “out for my head” line earlier was just an over exaggerated joke I made, I didn’t really think that.

MaddiDJ

Inkling
I still only play Splatoon 1; because sadly, I do not own a Switch, and lack the funds to acquire one. I was wondering if anyone else is stuck on the original like I am. Let me know if you are, I'd be interested to see.
I do because I also do not own a switch or have the ability to get one. I haven't played in a while though...

zapman

Inkling
i to have only splatoon one and do not have the funds

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
The original just has a much better vibe. The atmosphere just feels a lot more fitting with the gameplay; Splatoon 2 with its harsh menu graphics (and graphics in general) as well as music, feels needlessly edgy to me in a game about squid children shooting ink at one another with super soakers. I remember someone here saying they like Splatoon 2's win/loss animations better because they're more serious, but I don't see how this is particularly a good thing. I'll gladly take hugging a minigun over just standing it on the ground.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
I play the original more! Like more than I play Spl2n... months more..
I just can’t get a grip on it. Like literally. I think what keeps me away from it is the controller i’m given to play with. They don’t have the grips(?) that the Wii U Gamepad has. Plus whenever I play, the controls feel super wonky and awkward.. even after I adjust everything.
And everything super shiny too, sorta hurts my eyes looking at it sometimes. Pretty but hurt-y.
I mean how the ranking in the second one works is pretty cool, but then it takes forever to up your rank.
But yeah. I pretty much exclusively play the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom