• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Does Splatfest Power Correlate to Competitive Rank?

BoltX

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1911-9274-7124
xmas noob here.. does power correlate with your comp grade? if so, then how?
i'm level 9, haven't touched comp yet and ended splatfest with 1797 power.
some wikis are saying that you start at 1000/newbies and level Cs in comp start at 1000, but this was written for splatoon 1 and the same wikis are now seeking info on this for splatoon 2.
if you want, feel free to drop your comp grade & power for comparison.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
In S1 I believe your splatfest power began based on your rank, with S+'s starting at 1700. I think this is still true but I think the game remembers your previous splatfest power levels because I started in the 2000's this time. Idk there's a lot of algorithmic mumbo jumbo that no one knows about, rather speculated. If only you could see individual power level in ranked...

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Welcome to Splatoon 2, mate. Ending on nearly 1800 as a newcomer is a reasonable start. Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed the experience!

The "Power-Level" is indeed the rating that Nintendo uses to matchmake you. It sort of defines your "skill" in that very Splatfest. Out of Splatfest, Nintendo takes the same approach. When you hit level 10 and B- somewhere, you will find those numbers again in Ranked and League.

In Splatoon 1, power levels were set a bit lower as Nintendo operated with different numbers.. In Splatoon 2, that changed. I think the lowest I've heard of ever showing up in League was 1400 or something. And I shadily remember 1400 being the power value you roundabout meet in Ranked when at C.

So yes, power levels do indicate your "skill". However, the power level in the Splatfest differs from your power level elsewhere. As Mar$el pointed out: In Ranked, you have no way to see your individual Power level like you can in other modes. And how the power level comes to be? Pure speculation. Heh.

BoltX

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1911-9274-7124
Welcome to Splatoon 2, mate. Ending on nearly 1800 as a newcomer is a reasonable start. Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed the experience!

The "Power-Level" is indeed the rating that Nintendo uses to matchmake you. It sort of defines your "skill" in that very Splatfest. Out of Splatfest, Nintendo takes the same approach. When you hit level 10 and B- somewhere, you will find those numbers again in Ranked and League.

In Splatoon 1, power levels were set a bit lower as Nintendo operated with different numbers.. In Splatoon 2, that changed. I think the lowest I've heard of ever showing up in League was 1400 or something. And I shadily remember 1400 being the power value you roundabout meet in Ranked when at C.

So yes, power levels do indicate your "skill". However, the power level in the Splatfest differs from your power level elsewhere. As Mar$el pointed out: In Ranked, you have no way to see your individual Power level like you can in other modes. And how the power level comes to be? Pure speculation. Heh.
thank you for the insight! and great way of putting it as well. [:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Don't worry about power levels and ranks and all that too much, the game is kind of chaotic in it's matchmaking and skill tracking. All these things serve as a good general indicator of your performance, but it's not completely reliable. That said, 2000 seems to be generally considered the start of "S" rank play, and powers for new players are usually 1400-1500, so 1800 is a fine start if you're new to the game, well done!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Don't worry about power levels and ranks and all that too much, the game is kind of chaotic in it's matchmaking and skill tracking. All these things serve as a good general indicator of your performance, but it's not completely reliable. That said, 2000 seems to be generally considered the start of "S" rank play, and powers for new players are usually 1400-1500, so 1800 is a fine start if you're new to the game, well done!
Heh except for the part that 1700 S+ lobbies exist. Just a couple days ago I'm finally being moved from 1800-1900 lobbies to consistent upper 2000 lobbies in my S+ journey. I guess the game thinks I'm better now but how it works can only be speculated

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Heh except for the part that 1700 S+ lobbies exist. Just a couple days ago I'm finally being moved from 1800-1900 lobbies to consistent upper 2000 lobbies in my S+ journey. I guess the game thinks I'm better now but how it works can only be speculated
I did mention the rampant chaos, right? :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom