• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Everything a newb should know?

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
Cause I've been playing Splatoon since the Wii U and feel like I haven't improved any e.e
Like, what "supers" are meta/good?
Whats the go-to abilities in Splatoon 2 to stack?
How do you improve your aim? Like, I find it harder to aim in this game than in traditional shooters because of the whole turning into a squid and quickly going into the ink to pop back up elsewhere mechanic.
How to use certain weapons? Like go in all Rambo like with a Splattershot or hide behind a wall/in ink and surprise someone with the Dualies?
When is it ok to go solo, or even if it's ever ok to do so?
^ just a few examples of things I feel I should have some knowledge about. Any and all information is welcomed regardless if the few I listed are touched on.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A lot of your questions are subjective.
Ink Armor was king of the meta for the last month, but it just got nerfed, so it's still good but not as good. How this influences the meta has yet to be seen.
There are no "go-to" abilities, some are universally useful like Swim Speed and Ink Recovery but the abilities you want to stack depends far more on your weapon choice and playstyle than anything else. What works perfectly for one person may be less desirable to someone else with the same weapon but a different mindset.
Do you use motion controls or analog? Motion is considered superior by the majority of the fanbase.
https://squidboards.com/threads/splatoon-veterans-give-some-tips-for-new-players.29775/ <-- here's a thread you might find useful.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
@Dessgeega
Really? Seems like a huge nerf to the "Bubble" you had in Splatoon 1. Takes a while to activate and can be "taken down"(?).
Those sound like the go-to abilities o3o As for weapons I use though, that would be Sloshers and Octo-brush, cause I use Stick instead of motion-controls so those weapons are easier to use for me :P
Thanks for the link, I'll give that a look.

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
@Dessgeega
Really? Seems like a huge nerf to the "Bubble" you had in Splatoon 1. Takes a while to activate and can be "taken down"(?).
Those sound like the go-to abilities o3o As for weapons I use though, that would be Sloshers and Octo-brush, cause I use Stick instead of motion-controls so those weapons are easier to use for me :p
Thanks for the link, I'll give that a look.
If you thought it sounded like a nerfed bubble before, it's even worse than that now. I personally think it's gonna see a huge drop in use, but that's just my opinion.

And speaking of which, while all of your questions are subjective as Dessgeega said, I figured I'd share my own thoughts to maybe help you along! I'm a returning fan too, and there are some things I like and some things I don't like about the sequel so far.

- All special moves have their pros and cons. The only special that I didn't like was the Stingray, and it just got a pretty nice buff so that may change after I give it another go.
- My personal favorite abilities are Ink Resistance Up and Ink Saver Main, but this is because they suit my personal playstyle. I like getting up close to the opposing players and trying to out-maneuver them. Ink Resistance helps me get out of sticky situations and Ink Saver helps ensure I don't run out of ink at the worst possible time
- This is something I'm working on too, and the best thing I can tell you is to switch to motion controls* utilize the training area from Sheldon's shop. Start by following the moving dummies with your reticle, then move on to shooting at them, then try to move your squid around while shooting at them, etc... Just challenge yourself as you go!
- Squidboards has some great guides about individual weapons! Checking Youtube is also a pretty good idea. I personally don't do well with Sloshers or Inkbrushes, but I'm sure you can find some tips on them

I wish you luck in your journey to become the very best that you can be!

*Motion controls are widely considered to be "better" and help improve aiming capabilities by a TON. Despite this, you can still learn to get better using stick controls too.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
@CavvieKat
Great!

Those were just questions for myself, if you or anyone else has alternate information you feel I should be made aware of, by all means, pass over my questions and fill me in on what you know.

I'm in that boat, even with the buff, I don't like how it handles =/
How well does Ink Resist work? Like can you run on top of enemy ink?
I understand using motion controls is essential for getting good, but it just feels to alien for me, plus if I'm still making the mistakes I make, me having better aim would change much...on another note, I do only use motion controls for ARMS.
Only thing I found on YouTube was srb2dude, and he said to come here for tips and tricks. I feel as this place would be better since he primarily uses snipers and ranged weapons as opposed to up-close weapons.

Thanks!...though the best I can be seems to be below a lot of other people e.e

Aye.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ink resist reduces damage taken and increases movement speed in enemy ink. 2 mains seems to be about the ideal amount for movement. 3 mains and 9 subs, for someone crazy enough to do that, can almost completely ignore the movement penalty when running through ink.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
Ink resist reduces damage taken and increases movement speed in enemy ink. 2 mains seems to be about the ideal amount for movement. 3 mains and 9 subs, for someone crazy enough to do that, can almost completely ignore the movement penalty when running through ink.
Reduces damage taken?! Guess I'm going to be that crazy who'll have 3 mains and 9 subs of that :P What with me using Stick, so people kill me faster then I can turn to retaliate.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Reduces damage taken?! Guess I'm going to be that crazy who'll have 3 mains and 9 subs of that :p What with me using Stick, so people kill me faster then I can turn to retaliate.
The damage reduction is much less than the movement increase so don't count on that TOO much. It's a good thing to have regardless. If you want protection, invest in Bomb Defense.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
The damage reduction is much less than the movement increase so don't count on that TOO much. It's a good thing to have regardless. If you want protection, invest in Bomb Defense.
I would imagine so, otherwise I would think everyone would be sporting at least 3 mains of it.
Doesn't Bomb Defense only protect against nades? I mean thats helpful, but Snipers, Brushes and everything else thats a gun kills me more often.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Bomb Defense protects against subs and specials. It is a flat damage reduction against everything in the game that is not a main weapon.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
Bomb Defense protects against subs and specials. It is a flat damage reduction against everything in the game that is not a main weapon.
I suppose that ain't to bad >.>...
Hey, since I have you here, what do you do if you are getting stomped in a solo que game?
Also, how do you play? Like when you engage someone, do you go for the kill, spread your ink to close in or to make a get away, close off their ink then focus them, nade first then shoot etc...?

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
I suppose that ain't to bad >.>...
Hey, since I have you here, what do you do if you are getting stomped in a solo que game?
Also, how do you play? Like when you engage someone, do you go for the kill, spread your ink to close in or to make a get away, close off their ink then focus them, nade first then shoot etc...?

Try and figure out what's the main threat on the enemy team and how to deal with it. If it's a charger and you're using a close ranged weapon, you have to flank when they're not looking in your area. Same applies to any person you may think is giving your team a tough time.

As for engaging, all of what you said are viable responses. Consider what weapon you're up against and how it deals with your weapon. Every single weapon in this game has a weak point as of now. If you have map control, then ambushing is highly in your favor. You can throw a sub then attack or just flat out attack. Keeping an escape in case a 2v1 happens is also something you should keep in mind.

Another thing is watching multiple people who have high skill level in tourney. This way you can learn how to approach an enemy or how to use a weapon you're interested in.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Berry beat me to responding and did a fine job doing so, thumbs up!

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
@Berry
That's easier said then done, since the last few matches that were incredibly one-sided, a charger was on the other team. I tried flanking, but its like they have eyes everywhere, especially once the map is in their ink and you have to shoot yours to progress, giving away where you're headed. Not to mention the pin-point accurate aim they seem to have where if I'm doing anything in their line of fire, I'm dead and that's just for the 1 charger! Add the rest of the enemy team to the mix and I can't get anything done outside of inking from spawn =/

Which is great, but with so many choices, I never know which to pick or pick poorly.
Could you list me the weak points? Cause those skilled with Chargers or Blasters seem to be un-touchable...
If I have map control, odds are there is nobody on the enemy team giving my team a hard time :P

Will try, I'm horrible at mimicking pro plays.
Thanks for responding~

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
@Makuzex, I saw your welcome thread, haha, hey guy! Hope you're doing well!

As for moving forward:

I certainly advocate a shift to motion controls. Your long term game will benefit even if it means your short term game must suffer.

Dealing with chargers is difficult. While it seems obvious to mention, it is worthwhile to use the map to your advantage. If a sniper is blocking one route, you must consider what other routes are safer; in many cases, avoiding the sniper is better than trying to reach them. Their aim is situational, and so long as you don't give them a good shot, they will have a hard time keeping up with the combat. Ideally, you can create a 4v3 scenario if the opposing team has a sniper and your team plays smart. That brings me to the next obvious but useful tip: using the map for cover. The laser sight shows you where the sniper is looking. In the competitive meta, you know he is going to snap the snipe to you, but you'll certainly give any sniper a hard time hitting you by busing your time in as safe an area as you can find.

Splitting up the paragraph for easier digestion:

Consider the following: when is it easiest to concentrate on a sniper? When they have little to no backup. A sniper, when not given a good shot, is essentially out of the combat area. Get a one or two squid advantage by using cover and taking out oncoming enemies in close quarters where the sniper can't get a shot on you. With the advantage in numbers, begin a natural push forward and either dislodge the charger from its perch or pinch him with a flank. I understand this is all easier said than done, but in practice, you can beat any charger if you read the tide of battle. You cannot always challenge a sniper outright, so when they dislodge from the perch or a flank is possible during a powerplay push, that is the moment to strike.

Blasters are a bit more difficult, as they're a more constant and consistent threat. The best thing you can do is back off of a blaster. A blaster's pop makes audible hit confirming easy, which is what makes blasters a fearsome combatant. One hit kill on direct, two hit on indirect splash damage from the pop, and they can hear you get hit. For the splat to guarantee, all the blaster needs to do is figure on your most likely action. When hit, a common action is fleeing sideways to figure out a way to better engage without giving the blaster too much turf control. Every blaster user knows this.

So you can't go to the sides all that easily against a blaster, though that is situational. Moving backward is also a bit difficult depending on which Blaster is after you. You have probably seen the patented Megaman playstyle with Blasters; jump and shoot. Swim in the ink, slow jump and shoot. Most blasters use this tactic to pursue and push back the enemy. Rear retreat is similarly difficult and situational.

What are blasters bad at? Close range fighting. Get inside of a blaster's pop splash radius and you've got a much easier kill most of the time. Using the map for cover helps but is much, much more difficult against a good blaster. Ideally you'll want to flank and get in close with either better map positioning or stealthy entry points into combat. I have seen many brush users utilize these tactics with appropriate gear perks to maximize their kill potential in tighter areas. Sloshers have a better time with maps with more emphasis on vertical positioning regarding both blasters and chargers.

Uh, I think I covered everything. My memory escapes me considering it's late. If you wanna chat more, I'll do my best to provide what knowledge I have. :)

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
@inkcan
Neat, ehh, been the same since the post :D

Awwwwwww, its so frustrating to use, I can hardly aim straight when using it -.-

I try, but if I attempt that, they either notice because the map is in their ink/they constantly view the mini-map or because they have teammates fighting/killing me.
I solo que religiously, so it's never a 4v3 scenario with the enemy using a charger e.e
When I use the map for cover, the rest of the enemy team is coming to smoke me out or when I decide to change cover, they shoot me the instant they see the ink move. Maybe I need more patience? But waiting for my team to do something is very unlikely, I can't solo a pro (or hardly anybody who I don't catch off guard) and the longer I wait doing nothing, the more time they have to spread their ink/cap point/tower/rainmaker.

Again, would love to take that advice into the field, but solo que + no in-game chat means that will never happen unless I'm in a pre-made :P
Though I would like to know about "Reading the tide of battle".

Greaaaaat....

What's this about slow jumping? Can I jump faster?

I suppose they are, but they can still snap to you with motion controls for that 1 hit kill though =/

Thanks for the information provided~
The next thing for me to know now would be; How to use motion controls.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Go into practice mode with a Splattershot, turn on motion controls, and stand at the center of all the test dummies you see immediately ahead of you. Use the motion controls to target them on multiple levels of height, and do 5 sets of 10 rounds, each set at a different vertical height or position. Then hit turf war only for the rest of the day, with different weapons.

Wish I could write more, but gotta head to work. Try it and see how your playstyle evolves.

Makuzex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1767-9062-4608
Go into practice mode with a Splattershot, turn on motion controls, and stand at the center of all the test dummies you see immediately ahead of you. Use the motion controls to target them on multiple levels of height, and do 5 sets of 10 rounds, each set at a different vertical height or position. Then hit turf war only for the rest of the day, with different weapons.

Wish I could write more, but gotta head to work. Try it and see how your playstyle evolves.
Ok, thanks for the help~

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Reduces damage taken?! Guess I'm going to be that crazy who'll have 3 mains and 9 subs of that :p
To clarify, it reduces damage taken from standing/walking in enemy ink only. It does not reduce damage from weapons of any sort. Sorry if you understood correctly, but I wasn't sure based on your reaction. Only Bomb Defense Up reduces damage from any weapons (all subweapons and most special weapons). No ability reduces damage from main weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom