Exclusive Abilities Meta

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Given that seven out of eleven buffed abilities were exclusive abilities I think it's fair to dub patch 2.6.0 the exclusive abilities meta.
As I post this I can't find an official translation so I'm going with a Google translation of the official Japanese posting that details the ability buffs. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index_260.html

I'm going to post each ability and how it may change the landscape of gear ability loadouts. Why each ability may be preferable over what is currently being played. You are invited to scrutinize my assertions or add on with some of your own.

:ability_inksavermain:Ink saver (main): now has an upper limit of 45% up from the previous 40%.
Weapons that rely on its benefit may not have to stack as much to see equal benefit, or people will opt to keep the same amount as their current build and see a slight increase in efficiency.

:ability_inksaversub:Ink saver (sub): upper limit now 35% up from 25%.
This change makes it only slightly less effective than what ink saver(main) once was and pairs better with it now. It could see more use with players that rely on sub weapons.

:ability_inkrecovery:Ink recovery up: upper limit 82% from 67%.
Less time swimming to recover ink for any resource heavy weapons.

:ability_specialduration:Special duration up: inkzooka and bomb rush have an upper limit of 60% up from 40%. Inkstrike and killer wail will now have the tornado and laser extended in addition to less end lag after use.
I feel that with the changes to the ink strike and killer wail, special duration will become a premium option on weapons with those specials.

:ability_openinggambit:Opening Gambit: Effect increased to last for the first three minutes. (Some translations seem to differ from what I've found through Google translate. Will update when official translation is released. Also three minutes is likely only ranked mode I doubt it would last the entirety of a turf war) [This Reddit post states the ability still only lasts first 30 seconds but it's as powerful as 3 main worth of run/swim speed.]
This may become more popular with "sonic" builds as you get the benefit of faster run and swim speed for 60% of the match and it's even possible to get a knockout within that time period.

:ability_lastditcheffort:Last Ditch Effort: if the opposing team reaches below 30 points the effect is immediately activated. If not activated it will still activate in the final 30 seconds and last through overtime if necessary. In addition to ink efficiency benefits you will also gain quicker respawn time.
This will likely be map and mode dependent due to the fact that it's easier to bring the objective to 30 on certain maps and modes than others.

:ability_tenacity:Tenacity: charges special gauge 20% faster.
Even more effective for players that tend be patient and stay alive while the rest of their team gets wiped.

:ability_comeback:Comeback: in addition to previous effects special charge up is increased.
Given that you die and lose special this can be effective in helping obtain special and make a real comeback after death. Sort of the opposite of tenacity if you find yourself part of the group that gets wiped you'll find more benefit with this.

:ability_haunt:Haunt: in addition to marking an opponent you gain the benefits of damage up, defense up, and run speed while the you are marked by an enemy echo.
This seems to be a good alternative to cold-blooded if you don't mind being tagged while playing.

:ability_recon:Recon: effect lasts for 3.5 seconds after leaving respawn platform. Enemies weapons are now shown.
If you don't mind watching your GamePad while getting into position you can watch how an opposing teams weapons roll out to more strategically counter them.

:ability_bombsniffer:Bomb Sniffer: in addition to seeing where bombs are located you get a damage reduction for any bomb hit that doesn't OHKO. 40% damage reduction for splat bombs and suction bombs, 20% damage reduction for burst bombs. The reduction of damage is applied before damage up and defense up are calculated.
This is great for perch weapons that often get pestered by bombs. Given that the damage reduction is applied first it may not be necessary to have a defense build to counter pesky bombs and you are free to use other abilities. I don't think this will replace ink resistance on defense builds.

Questions, comments?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Your notes on Opening Gambit and Haunt are incorrect.

Opening Gambit was buffed to have an equivalent effect of 3 Run Speed Up mains + 3 Swim Speed Up mains. The duration is the same as before. Haunt gives you the effect of Damage Up + Defense Up + Run Speed Up while you are being Echolocated (or Point Sensored or Haunted). It's not tied to haunting the person that killed you.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Your notes on Opening Gambit and Haunt are incorrect.

Opening Gambit was buffed to have an equivalent effect of 3 Run Speed Up mains + 3 Swim Speed Up mains. The duration is the same as before. Haunt gives you the effect of Damage Up + Defense Up + Run Speed Up while you are being Echolocated (or Point Sensored or Haunted). It's not tied to haunting the person that killed you.
The Japanese page translated for opening gambit reads "the effect of human movement speed up and squid dash speed up, has been increased to the main gear power three minutes of the effect." which seems to mean it will last three minutes rather than the translation being 3 mains worth of run/swim speed. I may be incorrect but I'll wait for an official translation.

As for haunt, that makes much more sense. Having powers while echolocated sounds amazing.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
Opening gambit, recon, and last ditch effort benefit great from this, they always seemed near-useless to me before because they needed such specific events. (And does three minutes mean OG would last all of a turf war match?)
I'm very happy for bomb sniffer, too, too many time I've seen a bomb and tried to get away from it but still ended up getting because I didn't get far enough to avoid all of it.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
The Japanese page translated for opening gambit reads "the effect of human movement speed up and squid dash speed up, has been increased to the main gear power three minutes of the effect." which seems to mean it will last three minutes rather than the translation being 3 mains worth of run/swim speed. I may be incorrect but I'll wait for an official translation.

As for haunt, that makes much more sense. Having powers while echolocated sounds amazing.
The original Pastebin that was floating around had inaccuracies. My source is this thread on Reddit.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Opening gambit, recon, and last ditch effort benefit great from this, they always seemed near-useless to me before because they needed such specific events. (And does three minutes mean OG would last all of a turf war match?)
I'm very happy for bomb sniffer, too, too many time I've seen a bomb and tried to get away from it but still ended up getting because I didn't get far enough to avoid all of it.
Opening gambit and last ditch effort are only changed for ranked, their abilities will be the same in turf war as previous.
The fact that they've made such powerful changes means they're serious in making all abilities viable so nothing seems "useless" it's great.

I've seen a lot of excitement for bomb sniffer, it seems a great bomb counter now.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
The original Pastebin that was floating around had inaccuracies. My source is this thread on Reddit.
Thanks, I've added a note as I'm still uncertain which is correct given that your source is unofficial so hopefully Nintendo releases their official translation soon so we can be certain what the actual buffs are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom