• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Favorite NES game?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I only had a few games for NES, but they were all great.

I played Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Mario Bros, Legendary Wings, and Renegade (the actual precursor to double dragon, which I never hear anyone talking about...)

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I'd never heard of it, but I looked it up and it seems like it would be fun. I actually prefer the look of the characters to that in Double Dragon, since the Double Dragon characters all have a stout, almost chibi look to them. I think that's common of NES games to have tiny-looking characters, probably due to a combination of limitations at the time and to save bits on the card (alleged microchip shortage in 1988, the year I believe both games were released in North America). Double Dragon is of course longer and has overall superior graphics, textures, and music, but the part in Renegade is pretty awesome when the guy is fighting a bunch of ladies in dresses and heels wielding deadly purses and whips. It impresses me to see something of that nature in a game on a Nintendo console in the 80s when Nintendo was supposedly extremely strict about content in games on their platforms.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I'd never heard of it, but I looked it up and it seems like it would be fun. I actually prefer the look of the characters to that in Double Dragon, since the Double Dragon characters all have a stout, almost chibi look to them. I think that's common of NES games to have tiny-looking characters, probably due to a combination of limitations at the time and to save bits on the card (alleged microchip shortage in 1988, the year I believe both games were released in North America). Double Dragon is of course longer and has overall superior graphics, textures, and music, but the part in Renegade is pretty awesome when the guy is fighting a bunch of ladies in dresses and heels wielding deadly purses and whips. It impresses me to see something of that nature in a game on a Nintendo console in the 80s when Nintendo was supposedly extremely strict about content in games on their platforms.
yeah, it was pretty primitive, but hardcore. there were beer ads, deadly weapons, and the best moves were to either throw people off a cliff, or knee them in the groin until they passed out.

I did a little research later on (bc I couldn't find a copy anywhere) and it was originally a Japanese arcade about some punks who beat up your brother, and you're getting revenge on them. (think it was called nekketso kunyo kun, or something like that.)

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
yeah, it was pretty primitive, but hardcore. there were beer ads, deadly weapons, and the best moves were to either throw people off a cliff, or knee them in the groin until they passed out.

I did a little research later on (bc I couldn't find a copy anywhere) and it was originally a Japanese arcade about some punks who beat up your brother, and you're getting revenge on them. (think it was called nekketso kunyo kun, or something like that.)
This game sounds ridiculous but awesome. I honestly think I'm going to have to dig it out from somewhere and try it haha

McMurphy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
McMurphy
Super Mario Bros. 3 certainly is on the top of my NES list. That said, I remember being absolutely addicted to Dragon Warrior IV as a kid. That game was already turning the JRPG genre on its head way before other game's even got the basics down!

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Megaman 1 that bad? Not even worth £4?
It's more or less unplayable. Horrible difficulty balancing (non-existent?), glitches, totally lacking in series niceties, and some really bad level design.

I still wonder why Capcom ever decided to make a sequel. It's a great thing they did in hindsight, but Mega Man 1 was just bad.

Oh, and screw Yellow Devil.

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
For one of Capcom's earliest attempts at a platformer it's not that bad.

One of the reasons why I'll always come back to the first Mega Man is the music. Bomb Man's theme especially! However I won't deny that the game is hard as nails and for the audience that grew up with the games in the first place.... I'd suggest using savestates on an emulator or on a NES cart called the "Powerpak". xP

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
It sounds awful haha! I'll use save States on the wiiu VC when I play it. I just can't do sequels without the first

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom