• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Fear of Content Scarcity

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
A large fear in the back of my head is the lack of content outside of a few competitive game modes and a short single-player campaign made to get players to learn the ropes. Nintendo is incredibly good at compiling file-sizes and making them fit into whatever they need to, but the 1.8 Gig size really scares me. I don't want Ninty to flake on such a unique and awesome idea and leave it to fail in critic and mainstream eyes because of a "lack of content" when Nintendo clearly knows how to create game filled to the brim with content.

What are your thoughts?
Do you have any ways to reassure yourself and others about the content size? If so, how? (seriously I need reassuring)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
DLC has already been confirmed, so I'm hoping it will add a lot more content to the game. With any luck, they'll reveal a few other modes and things to do in the game in the Direct this Thursday. I know it will put a lot of people off if what we already know is the majority of what the game offers at launch. It'll be sad, but I suppose they might not want to pour too many resources into the game because it's a new IP. Problem is, it's more likely to succeed if they do put a huge amount of effort in and offer a lot of content.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Yeah, I was worried about the amount of content in this game. I really do not want to see it become a summer game, and then everyone just ditches it later when the fall games come out.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
DLC has already been confirmed, so I'm hoping it will add a lot more content to the game.
Wait post DLC was already confirmed?
God, that's scummy; I hate it when developers do that.
They're doing that with Battlefront and I dropped it thanks to all the extra problems.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
Yeah, I was worried about the amount of content in this game. I really do not want to see it become a summer game, and then everyone just ditches it later when the fall games come out.
Sure, the vast majority of the player base will play Splatoon before school starts up again and there will be an inevitable drop off as with all games. People always flock to new games but there are only 3 (to me) decent online games for the wii u right now, so I know Splatoon will retain players just as Smash has done after 6 months now and MK8 for a year.

Next multiplayer centric game is coming out in 6 months, but I am not sure how many people actually played Call of Duty Black Ops 2 on the Wii U (I sure didn't and won't play 3 on the Wii U or any other console because I'll be playing Star Wars Battlefront 10 days later and wouldn't bother picking up COD BO 3.)

Wil

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wilemina
I think I saw somewhere that there may be a couple more online modes that are yet to be announced.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
They're doing that with Battlefront and I dropped it thanks to all the extra problems.
DLC is announced well before game releases now. There are excessive ripoffs from companies like Neither Realm with MKX allowing you to pay to simplify stupid ish or Evolve that is solely DLC driven. Micro transactions are a way of life now and it nets companies big bucks. Not saying it's right, you're just not going to be able to avoid that ever again for major titles. I say that because you shouldn't judge anything till you know how fun it is. I may or may not have knowledge on the title you mentioned and it may or may not be way better than previous incarnations regardless of a lack of space combat.

And that quick DLC mentioned for Battlefront, is to tie into The Force Awakens which is a part and stipulation of Disney's and EA's 10 year agreement for EA developing all Star Wars games.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It will be a filler game for some people not sure about the amount of content it is a new game. I just hope the direct makes the game a must have. I think the best way to do is with a free game promotion similar to MK8. A free game and a new game is a steal. We just gotta wait and see.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Yeah. They haven't said what the DLC will be, they just want to support it post-launch with DLC and keep it alive.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
There are indeed going to be more ranked game modes, and the DLC that's been mentioned could very well be free updates. Expect the details for both on Thursday.

If Smash (which is just one game!) or TF2 (Splatoon's closest existing game) can have such longevity, Splatoon can do it too. Have faith.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
I think that, for this first installment, they're focusing more on making everything work perfectly instead of adding a lot of stuff. I don't think the game will be scarce in content, but I also don't think it will have amazing amounts of content. I believe it will be just enough.
They confirmed they'll add stuff to the game post-release though (we can assume that it'll be by both free updates and DLC if MK8, HW and SSB4 are indication of anything) so who knows what they may add.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I think that, for this first installment, they're focusing more on making everything work perfectly instead of adding a lot of stuff. I don't think the game will be scarce in content, but I also don't think it will have amazing amounts of content. I believe it will be just enough.
They confirmed they'll add stuff to the game post-release though (we can assume that it'll be by both free updates and DLC if MK8, HW and SSB4 are indication of anything) so who knows what they may add.
You've wrote everything that I wanted to. Thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom