• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Final Fantasy or Persona?

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
In my journey to conquer the essential JRPGs which I've somehow missed throughout my life of gaming (I'm a platformer geek/nintendo fanboy), I am looking to FF or Persona as my next target (specifically FFVII or Persona 3, but open to other suggestions).

So to those who have played a fair amount of each series, where should I go? The OG legend that shaped modern RPGs or the new classics?

------
Some background on my experience with JRPGs: I have played a good handful of the Tales series - Symphonia 1 and 2, Xillia, Vesperia, Abyss, and finishing Hearts R. I've also played Baten Kaitos and Origins, every Fire Emblem 7 and up, Earthbound, and we'll throw in Zelda and Pokemon for good measure. Feels like I'm leaving some things out, but that's all I can come up with right now. haha

I am also considering playing Chrono Trigger before I go into FF or Persona... I've heard numerous people say it is *the* definitive JRPG. But what do you think?

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Final Fantasy is a very mixed bag. 1-3 use the Job system: you get four characters and you can assign them different jobs (white mage, warrior, etc). Their job levels up separately from the character, and you can change a character's job however often you want. This can make for some rather comedic results. The Monk in FFIII does damage based on job level. If you power-level the monk job for one character, you can pretty much break the game because they will punch EVERYTHING to death in one or two turns. Mages have a list of spells, but non-mage classes usually have just one ability they can use (e.g. knights can take damage for other characters, thieves can steal, etc). FF6 started the Class system, where you get a huge roster of characters that have a set class you can't change. Just about every FF game made uses one or the other, and some merged them into one. I'd suggest trying FF3 for a taste of the Job system, and FF6 for the class system. Both are excellent games and use their respective systems very well.

Personally, my favorite of the FF games is FFX for PS2 or FFXHD for PS3/4. I enjoyed the story, though it is a bit odd. The main character isn't great, but the rest of the cast are pretty solid. Yuna is definitely the more interesting character than Tidus imo. FFX introduced the Sphere grid where you can pretty much customize your characters to fit your preferences. Ordinarily, Tidus is a quick but somewhat weak hitter. You can run him through another character's sphere grid to make him hit a lot harder. It takes time and some grinding, but the option is there if you want to fine-tune your characters. Just be careful: FFX has some of the most bullshit, one-sided, butt itchingest side quests you'll ever find. If you get the int'l version (and if you live in Japan, you probably will), you'll have the chance to fight some seriously OP bosses. Granted, those are all optional: just be warned. FFX-2 is a cash in. It had some good ideas, but really lazy and poor execution. Definitely pass on it, even if you do end up liking the FF series.

Story wise, many Final Fantasy games has a theme of magic vs machines, tradition vs progress, blind faith vs thinking for yourself, and persevering in the face of hopelessness, even if you've lost everything you care about, and ultimately facing and slaying your own personal demons. Some games in the series do this better than others, so as I said: it's a mixed bag. FF3 is just a fun adventure with a generic "Hero's Journey" storyline. FF6 & FFX have a lot more symbolism and emotion behind their plots. I suggest one of those three for a first taste of the series. A lot of people will praise FF7. I wasn't blown away by it, but you'll enjoy it if you liked the other three I mentioned. Bravely Default is a similar series to the original FF games. You might give those a try if you want a more updated introduction to FF1-3. AFAIK, the remakes still have a little of their "old school hard" (FF3 will only let you save at certain times, can't buy Phoenix Downs, etc).

Don't know anything about Persona. You might look at Golden Sun if you want a good JRPG. Both GS and GS2 are really fun to play. Sword of Mana is a great action JRPG too. Don't know if you've played any of the Tales games, but I've heard excellent things about those games.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Final Fantasy is a very mixed bag. 1-3 use the Job system: you get four characters and you can assign them different jobs (white mage, warrior, etc). Their job levels up separately from the character, and you can change a character's job however often you want. This can make for some rather comedic results. The Monk in FFIII does damage based on job level. If you power-level the monk job for one character, you can pretty much break the game because they will punch EVERYTHING to death in one or two turns. Mages have a list of spells, but non-mage classes usually have just one ability they can use (e.g. knights can take damage for other characters, thieves can steal, etc). FF6 started the Class system, where you get a huge roster of characters that have a set class you can't change. Just about every FF game made uses one or the other, and some merged them into one. I'd suggest trying FF3 for a taste of the Job system, and FF6 for the class system. Both are excellent games and use their respective systems very well.

Personally, my favorite of the FF games is FFX for PS2 or FFXHD for PS3/4. I enjoyed the story, though it is a bit odd. The main character isn't great, but the rest of the cast are pretty solid. Yuna is definitely the more interesting character than Tidus imo. FFX introduced the Sphere grid where you can pretty much customize your characters to fit your preferences. Ordinarily, Tidus is a quick but somewhat weak hitter. You can run him through another character's sphere grid to make him hit a lot harder. It takes time and some grinding, but the option is there if you want to fine-tune your characters. Just be careful: FFX has some of the most bullshit, one-sided, butt itchingest side quests you'll ever find. If you get the int'l version (and if you live in Japan, you probably will), you'll have the chance to fight some seriously OP bosses. Granted, those are all optional: just be warned. FFX-2 is a cash in. It had some good ideas, but really lazy and poor execution. Definitely pass on it, even if you do end up liking the FF series.

Story wise, many Final Fantasy games has a theme of magic vs machines, tradition vs progress, blind faith vs thinking for yourself, and persevering in the face of hopelessness, even if you've lost everything you care about, and ultimately facing and slaying your own personal demons. Some games in the series do this better than others, so as I said: it's a mixed bag. FF3 is just a fun adventure with a generic "Hero's Journey" storyline. FF6 & FFX have a lot more symbolism and emotion behind their plots. I suggest one of those three for a first taste of the series. A lot of people will praise FF7. I wasn't blown away by it, but you'll enjoy it if you liked the other three I mentioned. Bravely Default is a similar series to the original FF games. You might give those a try if you want a more updated introduction to FF1-3. AFAIK, the remakes still have a little of their "old school hard" (FF3 will only let you save at certain times, can't buy Phoenix Downs, etc).

Don't know anything about Persona. You might look at Golden Sun if you want a good JRPG. Both GS and GS2 are really fun to play. Sword of Mana is a great action JRPG too. Don't know if you've played any of the Tales games, but I've heard excellent things about those games.
I did mention the Tales games I played in my initial post, and I forgot to mention I did play Bravely Default as well, which I really enjoyed, so I do have a grasp on the job system from some of the FF games.

The reason I wanted to start with 7 is because it is generally the most well-known/seems to have had the largest impact on the genre, albeit maybe not the best. I know just about every person who has played any number of FF games will rank them differently. Just from what I know about each game, I think I may try 4, 6 or 10 first/after 7. I actually had played the first 4-5 hours of FFX around 2009 but stopped for some reason. I was loving it though.

GS series is highly regarded. Noted! I'll remember Sword of Mana as well.

Have you played/do you have any thoughts on Chrono Trigger?

Splat God

Inkling
NNID
Bluntson

The game made by a Dutch man that created the genre "JRPG" (funny that JRPG's aren't Japanese in origin, and that the genre started with the name "American Fantasy Roleplaying Game")

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
The reason I wanted to start with 7 is because it is generally the most well-known/seems to have had the largest impact on the genre, albeit maybe not the best.
It's not bad, but most of its reputation comes from nostalgia. It was the first FF on Playstation, thus the first FF game most of the new generation of 90s gamers played and remembered well. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I just think there are better introductions to the franchise.

Have you played/do you have any thoughts on Chrono Trigger?
Chrono Trigger is an excellent choice. As Splat God posted, so is DragonQuest.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I've heard that Dragon Quest - specifically the much older ones are quite rudimentary compared to Final Fantasy. High ratio of random encounters, basic story, punishing and heavily grind-oriented. I don't know if I'm ready for that level of old school hard. I'd like to get to that at some point though...

And totally forgot about Phantasy Star. Thanks for the suggestions yall

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
i would pick anything over ffxii, i did not enjoy it much and the reasons i never got games after that since they had mix reviews like ffxii

i liked ffix the best and thought fviii was good fro the school setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom