• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Freedom for Squids - A Freedom Planet social

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet

Welcome to the world of Avalice, fellow squid-kids.

I don't take it that many people here know this game... if any.
But all the more reason to open up this social.
Since it is definitely one of the best Indie-games out there, at the moment.
If not, THE BEST! Though I admit that is debatable.

Seriously, I love this game.
And even though it has flaws, especially in some parts of the story, I just cannot hate it.
I just love it.

Here is a trailer for you:

It is currently available on Steam as a PC game.
But it will get a WII U port eventually.

Gameplay
I am sure the first thing you thought of, when you watched the trailer is "Sonic the Hedgehog".
And indeed it was based on Sonic-gameplay.
In fact, it actually started out as a Sonic fangame.

But it became its own thing.
And while the gameplay might look Sonic-y at first glance, trust me, the gameplay of Freedom Planet is much different from Sonic.
Because it is more combat-oriented.
And normal enemies, especially ones in later levels, can actually kick your flank really hard and kill you.
They really make Eggman's badnicks look like kindergarten-children.
Don't underestimate the enemies in this game, study them to make out their weaknesses and pick your fights carefully.

And the Boss Battles surely are epic in this game.
Again, you want to study their moves and learn their openings.
Recklessly charging in only gets you killed, especially in the later levels.

Another thing that sets it apart from Sonic is "Character Variety".
While in Sonic, every character plays more or less the same, in Freedom Planet, they couldn't be anymore different.

"Lilac the Dragon" is the Sonic-esque character. The fastest of the three.
She comes with a Hair Spin move against aerial foes and her signature Dragon Dash to deal massive damage and gain max speed instantly.

"Carol the Wildcat" is more technical and uses the environment.
She can Pounce and dish out fast attacks. And her Wild Kick is really damaging.
She can also Wall Jump and make use of those Red Ninja Pads
And when she collects a Fuel Can, she summons her motorbike to boost through the level and defy the laws of physics.

"Milla the Hould" is a defensive character with little health.
She does have a Flutterjump, similar to Yoshi or Tails the Fox.
She uses a shield to defend herself and reflecting enemy shots (does not work against everything though).
And she can summon a block to throw against enemies.
Or she can use it in combination with the shield for a more powerful Shield Burst.

And in fact, the entire health and special-system alone sets it apart from Sonic.
So don't think of it as a Sonic-vlone. It is so much more than that.

Plot
The good thing about this game, is that it offers you a choice, of either playing it with or without story.
Adventure Mode is with Story, with all the cutscenes and conversations.
Classic Mode however, is just gameplay. So it proceeds from one stage to the next, without any interruptions.
Like the old Sonic games.

While Plot seems light-hearted at first, it definitely turns more dark and tense, as the game progresses.
A combo of light-hearted and dark isn't something you see every day.
But if you ask me, it really works for this game.

Basicly, "Lord Brevon", the main antagonist, crash-landed on the planet Avalice.
The "Chasers", a merc-group and sworn enemies of Brevon, are responsible for the crash.

Brevon is adamant to do whatever it takes to repair his ship.
So he raids the Kingdom of "Shuigang", kills its king and brainwashes "Prince Dail" to do his bidding.
Then he sets out to steal the "Kingdom Stone", an artifact of great power, that supplies all of Avalice's civilization with the energy they need to live.
So he plots to provoke a war between the three kingdoms of Avalice, "Shang Mu", "Shang Tu" and "Shuigang". which already were on unfriendly terms with each other, especially with the Kingdom stone's power seemingly waning.
While he can repair his ship and slip away with the Stone unnoticed.

In the process, with the forces of Shuigang now under his command, through the brainwashed Dail, he hunts down and kills every Chaser.
Only one survives. "Torque the Shellduck".

And before "Serpentine", loyal general of Brevon's Forces can kill him too, he is saved by "Lilac" and "Carol".
On their way, they also meet "Milla". An immature and shy hound-girl, who lives in the wilderness all by herself and decide to take her in.
With Torque telling them about the Kingdom Stone about to be stolen and Lord Brevon himself, they decide to do whatever it takes to protect it and set out on an Adventure to save the Kingdom Stone.
Can they do it? Play it and find out. :P

Critique
Doubtless, this game isn't perfect.
It does have flaws and occasional glitches.
Tho if you play casually and don't speedrun too fiercely, you probably won't run into any glitches.

Overall, the gameplay is solid and stable.
And it's extremely fun to play.
Everything about it feels so epic.
The gameplay, the design, the graphics and the music.
Everything was done so well.

My only gripe about the game, are some parts of the story, that either make no sense, or just left something opened up, without giving it proper closure.
It is only a few scenes, but still something that made me cringe a little upon closer inspection.
But the most part, the story is actually pretty solid.

Not to mention the EPIC FINALE!
OH MAN, the finale is so epic and satisfying.

All in all, like I said, I love this game.
It has flaws, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.

The story and especially the voice acting, probably isn't for everyone.
But for those people, there still is the "Classic" option, to play the game without any interruptions.

Though if you play this game for the first time...
HEED MY WORDS, PLAY ON "CASUAL" DIFFICULTY.
The game starts out easy, but the later levels are HARD!
You will end up dying a lot, if you don't know what you are doing (which you don't on your first time through the game).

Here is a quick overview on the difficulties.

- Normal
Well, normal. Everything on default.

- Easy
Adds Auto-Health Regen

- Casual
Adds Auto-Health Regen and halves Player-damage taken

- Hard
Doubles Player-damage taken and alters the attack patterns on a few bosses on the final levels.

While Easy adds Auto-Health Regen, in the later levels everything can kill you so fast, that it makes no difference.
Casual however gives you extra defense, on top of Regen.
So yeah, choose that difficulty on your first time through, if you don't want to die a lot.

Just believe me. The later levels really hit that hard.

And that is all I can say about this game.
Are you interested? Or did you even play it?
Feel free to discuss. :D

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
This game seems pretty cool, I started playing a couple of weeks ago and got as far as clearing the city stage before I stopped. Got kind of busy so I haven't had much time to play. I chose Lilac cause she seemed like the more Sonic-esque character as far as I could tell. She reminds me a lot of playing the Sonic Advance games, where you had those extra actions you could perform out of a jump with the R button.

The game is surprisingly hard, I have died a fair number of times, especially in the underground maze stage and against the bosses, especially that preying mantis thing in the aforementioned stage. I wish I had read this warning about the difficulty beforehand! That being said I was still finding it really enjoyable, the levels are surprisingly complex and I'm sure will be just as fun the second or third time around due to how many branching paths there seem to be.

Honestly wasn't really following the plot too closely, but I could never really get into the plot of Sonic games either so I guess it nailed that aspect of the Sonic-like experience. Not really sure why I stopped playing, I think after being reminded about the game I will sit down when I get the chance and finish my first playthrough!

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Welp, I didn't die until Stage 4, by falling off the stage.
But yeah, if you already struggle with Stage 2 and 3, then I strongly suggest you switch the difficulty to "Casual" for now.
Cause the later stages WILL Steamroll you.

Believe me, I played my first playthrough on "Easy" and I still died a whole lot of times on my first time through.

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
Eh, I'll just slog my way through the rest. I'm not going to pretend like I'm the most skilled gamer out there, but I'm pretty good at just bashing my head against a stage/enemy/challenge until I understand it and clear it. If it does get insurmountable though, I'll take your advice and dial it down.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I played the Demo back in the days~
If i would have money i would buy it and im too lazy to torrent it.

TACarbuncle

Inkling Commander
NNID
TACarbuncle
Sash was actually one of the first people I ever watched on DeviantArt. I loved the design of her character ever since. When a friend showed me the demo for this game, I recognized the character instantly.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
I recommend to play it in Hard mode o3o It gets really challenging and fun and gives you that "This boss is nearly as pro as i am" feeling

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I've downloaded Freedom Planet from Steam last year and it is indeed a fun game despite its glaring flaws. Everything from the graphics, the gameplay, and the music just makes the experience more fun for me.

Whenever the Wii U version comes out after they get the bugs sorted out, I'll definitely buy it. Anyone else aware of the new character DLC coming out for it?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Welp still unknown when the Character DLC will come out.
And when the characters do come out, they will be Classic only at first.
Their Adventure-stories come later.
But at least Milla will get her Adventure Mode.

And now that the WII U version is finally available, maybe now they will finally put more time and effort into the content yet to come.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I bought the game last week (along Undertaled, Rocket League and Axiom Verge) and I played up to Prince Dali's boss fight. The game is really good. It is pretty much Sonic with better gameplay and characters (and with a great soundtrack, but that's a staple for Sonic games as well). And yeah, I know this used to be a Sonic fan game. On the subject of Soundtrack, I love this song.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Does anyone know how well the Wii U version runs? After hearing about it getting patched due to bugs, I'm hoping it'll actually play well now since I'm thinking about buying it for my Wii U.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So I finished the game yesterday. My quick thoughts, might elaborate further if anyone is interested;

Fun game. The best things about Freedom Planet, to me, were:

- Music. It is fantastic.
- Fun characters, I love Carol Tea in special! The villain is a badass, too. He is like a mix of classic villains (Robotnik, Dr. Wily) with Xenoblade's Metal Face.
- The gameplay when riding Carol's motorbike is too good.
- Great visuals. Really.
- Great voice acting imo
- Oh and the sound effects are really charming.

And the downsides are as it follows:

- The levels take freaking forever to end. The game would have been better with short levels, for sure. I remember finishing a level on the 20 minutes mark o_O
- The difficulty spikes are annoying. Like, some of the bosses are REALLY tough. I shamelessly lowered the difficult after the Pea**** boss.
- The platforming is awful. I lost count of how many times I fell from platforms because of how weird the controls are.

I recommend the game. I truly do, but honestly? Just play it on casual or easy and avoid frustration.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
As someone who played it to death, I can actually agree on the difficulty thing.
On your first playthrough, when you have no idea what awaits you, you certainly are better off with the "Casual" Difficulty.
Since later levels WILL destroy you, if you don't know what you are doing.

Even the Normal Enemies become a challenge.
Especially them Shade Troopers, with their laser rifles.
They are the toughest normal enemies in the game.
And if they swarm up on you...

As for your other cons though, I don't quite agree.
The platforming is actually good. I never had any problems with it.
Granted, I played the PC version only.
But it actually worked.

That being said, Carol is not an easy character to get into.
She is a more technical character.
But as you master her controls, you will see just how potent her moves are.
And I am someone who mains Carol. I just love her. ^w^

The levels are really not that long.
True on your first playthrough, they might feel long, since you have no idea where to go and search every nook and cranny for goodies.
But as you get to know the levels and become able to zip through them, you will come to realize that they are not that long actually.

The only levels that can truly be considered long IMO are "Thermal Base" and "Battle Glacier".
Especially Battle Glacier. As fast as I can beat the game now, I never managed to beat this course under 10 minutes!
I know 9 minutes is possible for skilled speedrunners, if not even less.
But yeah, this level is indeed LOOOOOOONG!

But frankly, I like that.
Nothing wrong with a few long levels, if you ask me. : 3

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I played the PC version, too. My issue with the platforming is that Carol kept "slipping" from narrow platforms. The platforming isn't as precise as in games like Mario and Donkey Kong, though I should have expected that from a Sonic-inspired game.

Also, I will have to disagree on the levels not being long, because they really are. I don't think I ever played a side scrolling platformer with levels as long as the levels in Freedom Planet. They become considerably shorter if you are speedrunning through them, but in my first playthrough I decided to not rush through them.

Nways, I will play the game again someday, playing as the main character :)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I really hate going up against the Shade Troopers. They're easily the most annoying enemies in the game. If you try killing them, there's always more popping up. I think out of all the playable characters I enjoy playing as, I think I like playing as Lilac & Carol. Never cared about Milla's playstyle.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Shade Troopers are easily n00b-killers, not meant offensively.
I learned how to deal with them.
Fight them one by one, if possible.
Always jump over them, when they crouch to fire, and attack them from behind.

But if you face more than 2 at once...
"WE'RE BOOKING IT, SMOKEY!!!"

But keep in mind to pick your fights carefully.
There are times where it is better to fight and times where it is better to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom