Good Mid Ranged Shooters for Ranked?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm not a huge fan of the inkzooka myself. I use plenty of weapons that feature it, but it's honestly not my favorite special in any way. Regular splattershot gives you trouble with burst bomb aim, but with some damage up you can use the AoE to sofen up targets.

.95 doesn't click for me for the opposite reason: Good aim is not a requirement. That's why people gripe about it because shooters with bad aim have as much chance of landing the hits as shooters with good aim. If you really question your aim, .96 would be a good fit. Or just play bamboozler for a while to hone your aim ;)

So you're looking for an aggressive weapon that does not require excellent aim? Splash-o-matic requires pretty good aim, but that's fast and aggressive. Carbon roller's definitely out - the ohko requires sniper's aim and it's reliant on burst bombs and it has the very inkzooka you're ditching. Carbon deco gives you seekers, but still takes that dead-on aim for the ohko (and you're waaay too close to permit any error.)

I'm thinking N-Zap as @SupaTim suggested. It's fast fire, fast ttk, fairly accurate shooter, but loose enough that it's forgiving of some sloppy aim and splat bombs or sprinklers with echolocator or inkstrike gives you some variety for kit.

If you don't mind button mashing, trislosher is crazy aggressive and now there's a second kit that there wasn't when you first started the thread (seekers.) that might be worth taking a second look at. It's not a shooter, and it's not midrange, but it's highly mobile.

Blasters CAN be ok if you're good at ranging but not good at aiming - you can use the 2hko at range, though they're better played with good aim for the ohko. And they're not all that aggressive.

Sploosh - hyper aggressive, you only need to aim in the general direction. :p Doesn't have the range you want though.

The gals, the problem with gals is they're not all that mobile, so if you're looking to play very aggressively they're going to feel wrong. But the 96 still may work well.

I'd have recommended the Aerospray MG, but that, again, has inkzooka. And I can't in good conscience recommend the RG with those darned mines. Not an aggressor's friend.

Kill oriented and aggressive definitely defines the Splattershot Pros, but with the 3hko and slow firing rate, it's definitely going to land more in the precision aim category. I use it more like a charger.

Everything you're saying still sounds "N-Zap" to me. It's a decent inker, but it's more of a killer than an inker. Deadly up close, almost as deadly at range, and it has a lot more range to it than you'd guess (it takes me out on the perches at Mahi often enough!) It's a kill oriented weapon that's precise but not super precise, extremely ink efficient, very fast and mobile, kills faster than a Jr. and has an ink driven loadout option and a kill driven loadout option. Splatbombs for a quick getaway or a pressuring/harassment tool and an echolocator to go hunter/killer, or sprinklers/inkstrikes for the passive aggressive turfer. :wst_shot_quickmiddle00::wst_shot_quickmiddle01:

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I'm not a huge fan of the inkzooka myself. I use plenty of weapons that feature it, but it's honestly not my favorite special in any way. Regular splattershot gives you trouble with burst bomb aim, but with some damage up you can use the AoE to sofen up targets.

.95 doesn't click for me for the opposite reason: Good aim is not a requirement. That's why people gripe about it because shooters with bad aim have as much chance of landing the hits as shooters with good aim. If you really question your aim, .96 would be a good fit. Or just play bamboozler for a while to hone your aim ;)

So you're looking for an aggressive weapon that does not require excellent aim? Splash-o-matic requires pretty good aim, but that's fast and aggressive. Carbon roller's definitely out - the ohko requires sniper's aim and it's reliant on burst bombs and it has the very inkzooka you're ditching. Carbon deco gives you seekers, but still takes that dead-on aim for the ohko (and you're waaay too close to permit any error.)

I'm thinking N-Zap as @SupaTim suggested. It's fast fire, fast ttk, fairly accurate shooter, but loose enough that it's forgiving of some sloppy aim and splat bombs or sprinklers with echolocator or inkstrike gives you some variety for kit.

If you don't mind button mashing, trislosher is crazy aggressive and now there's a second kit that there wasn't when you first started the thread (seekers.) that might be worth taking a second look at. It's not a shooter, and it's not midrange, but it's highly mobile.

Blasters CAN be ok if you're good at ranging but not good at aiming - you can use the 2hko at range, though they're better played with good aim for the ohko. And they're not all that aggressive.

Sploosh - hyper aggressive, you only need to aim in the general direction. :p Doesn't have the range you want though.

The gals, the problem with gals is they're not all that mobile, so if you're looking to play very aggressively they're going to feel wrong. But the 96 still may work well.

I'd have recommended the Aerospray MG, but that, again, has inkzooka. And I can't in good conscience recommend the RG with those darned mines. Not an aggressor's friend.

Kill oriented and aggressive definitely defines the Splattershot Pros, but with the 3hko and slow firing rate, it's definitely going to land more in the precision aim category. I use it more like a charger.

Everything you're saying still sounds "N-Zap" to me. It's a decent inker, but it's more of a killer than an inker. Deadly up close, almost as deadly at range, and it has a lot more range to it than you'd guess (it takes me out on the perches at Mahi often enough!) It's a kill oriented weapon that's precise but not super precise, extremely ink efficient, very fast and mobile, kills faster than a Jr. and has an ink driven loadout option and a kill driven loadout option. Splatbombs for a quick getaway or a pressuring/harassment tool and an echolocator to go hunter/killer, or sprinklers/inkstrikes for the passive aggressive turfer. :wst_shot_quickmiddle00::wst_shot_quickmiddle01:
I don't mind weapons that require good aim. My problem with the .96 is I'll shoot at someone for four seconds before I can hit them with a second shot which often gets me killed. I've actually been playing around with Nozzlenoses, that's how I know my aim isn't great. I'm working on it though. The nzaps are fun, I should definitely try them more seriously in ranked, I'll post how it goes. I think my problem is I like every weapon, but I can't use them all in ranked at a high enough skill level.

Award

I don't mind weapons that require good aim. My problem with the .96 is I'll shoot at someone for four seconds before I can hit them with a second shot which often gets me killed. I've actually been playing around with Nozzlenoses, that's how I know my aim isn't great. I'm working on it though. The nzaps are fun, I should definitely try them more seriously in ranked, I'll post how it goes. I think my problem is I like every weapon, but I can't use them all in ranked at a high enough skill level.
LOL, yeah, I went through that "I want to play all the weapons!" stage too. Even had a thread about it!. I'm still there, but I kind of gravitated toward my favorites now and play the others for fun now and then.

N-Zap may be a great fit for you. If you don't mind needing good aim, I'd also strongly suggest the Splash-o-Matics and the SSPros. S-o-M is a lot like NZap, but it plays even faster, shoots faster (faster ttk) but loses some of N-Zap's range. I'd argue it's a better turfer (sans sprinklers) though. If you don't mind closing in some more and needing a more needle-point aim, that's another fantastic shooter (my old main!) SSPro shoots slow, takes 3 hits, but is a very serious killer with some serious range. It's like the .96 with rediculous ink consumption, terrible turfing, but spot-on accuracy. S-o-M and N-Zap are a lot more "aggressive' in nature though. The speed and range of Pro means you have to hang back at your range more and be more methodical in your approach. It's built purely for offense, but it's less "aggressive." I think of it as "the shooter for charger mains."

97Stephen

Pro Squid
LOL, yeah, I went through that "I want to play all the weapons!" stage too. Even had a thread about it!. I'm still there, but I kind of gravitated toward my favorites now and play the others for fun now and then.

N-Zap may be a great fit for you. If you don't mind needing good aim, I'd also strongly suggest the Splash-o-Matics and the SSPros. S-o-M is a lot like NZap, but it plays even faster, shoots faster (faster ttk) but loses some of N-Zap's range. I'd argue it's a better turfer (sans sprinklers) though. If you don't mind closing in some more and needing a more needle-point aim, that's another fantastic shooter (my old main!) SSPro shoots slow, takes 3 hits, but is a very serious killer with some serious range. It's like the .96 with rediculous ink consumption, terrible turfing, but spot-on accuracy. S-o-M and N-Zap are a lot more "aggressive' in nature though. The speed and range of Pro means you have to hang back at your range more and be more methodical in your approach. It's built purely for offense, but it's less "aggressive." I think of it as "the shooter for charger mains."
I actually used those both extensively when I first got the game but dropped them when I started playing defensively. My aggressive play style is more zipping around the map shooting people in the back so I don't think the pro will work for that. I'll try the splash-o-matic, I haven't used it in forever.

Award

I actually used those both extensively when I first got the game but dropped them when I started playing defensively. My aggressive play style is more zipping around the map shooting people in the back so I don't think the pro will work for that. I'll try the splash-o-matic, I haven't used it in forever.

Hmm, zipping around the map shooting people in the back, huh? Both N-Zap and Splash-o-Matic would be good for that. But that sounds like my sploosh/carbon play style, really. Sploosh is insanely mobile and designed for just that purpose. Carbon works much the same way except you really do need to master those burst bombs, and...inkzooka. I don't hate seekers like I used to, but the special on Carbon Deco is just too situational for me to love. If you really want to avoid burst bombs and inkzooka, Carbon Deco MAY fit that playstyle but I think if you're looking for a different kit of special/sub the splooshes may work better. Also, because of the flicks, Carbon requires being kind of spastic in addition to being aggressive. I love it - its' a good alternate playstyle versus my usual patient-and-waiting eliters & hydras.

But I love a good sploosh session too!
So N-Zap, Splash-o-Matic, and Sploosh-o-Matic should be your first places to look, followed by Carbon Deco if you can wrap your head around seekers (Carbon vanilla has the precise kit you DON'T want ;))

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Hmm, zipping around the map shooting people in the back, huh? Both N-Zap and Splash-o-Matic would be good for that. But that sounds like my sploosh/carbon play style, really. Sploosh is insanely mobile and designed for just that purpose. Carbon works much the same way except you really do need to master those burst bombs, and...inkzooka. I don't hate seekers like I used to, but the special on Carbon Deco is just too situational for me to love. If you really want to avoid burst bombs and inkzooka, Carbon Deco MAY fit that playstyle but I think if you're looking for a different kit of special/sub the splooshes may work better. Also, because of the flicks, Carbon requires being kind of spastic in addition to being aggressive. I love it - its' a good alternate playstyle versus my usual patient-and-waiting eliters & hydras.

But I love a good sploosh session too!
So N-Zap, Splash-o-Matic, and Sploosh-o-Matic should be your first places to look, followed by Carbon Deco if you can wrap your head around seekers (Carbon vanilla has the precise kit you DON'T want ;))
I tried the sploosh and I couldn't use it very well. You pretty much have to be touching them for best effect which I can't seem to be able to pull off without getting spotted. I have also used the carbon and the lack of range, like the sploosh, makes it hard for me to push.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I tried the nzap and splash-o-matic out today. In fairness the mode was tower control so the nzap didn't do quite as well, I leaned more torwards the splash-o-matic for suction bombs. The range on the nzap doesn't really matter when you're right up next to them, and the higher ttk of the splash helped more. I went around 16/8 every battle with the splash, is that considered good? I'll have to try the nzap again on a more open map and mode to see if that makes a difference.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I tried the nzap and splash-o-matic out today. In fairness the mode was tower control so the nzap didn't do quite as well, I leaned more torwards the splash-o-matic for suction bombs. The range on the nzap doesn't really matter when you're right up next to them, and the higher ttk of the splash helped more. I went around 16/8 every battle with the splash, is that considered good? I'll have to try the nzap again on a more open map and mode to see if that makes a difference.
Yeah, that's pretty good. Perhaps the deaths are kinda high, but that happens in ranked.

I would say the splash is a better weapon than the nzap, generally. But it has much shorter range.

Award

I wouldn't say the deaths are high for TC, in fact they're very low, assuming you were riding the tower. 18/12 is my record still. But that's with Luna (high risk even on it's own) and riding the tower constantly. If you're on the tower, you're gonna get splatted. If you're on the tower and your team sucks/vanishes, you're gonna get splatted a LOT. If you weren't riding the tower then maybe that's high, but not necessarily, it's still a slightly lower range high risk weapon, and 16/8 is still like 8/0 + 8 trades. 8/0 alone would be a fair score.

Sploosh has no bombs so it's probably not great for TC (though beacons can shield you.) but if you love the fast TTK be sure to try it.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I wouldn't say the deaths are high for TC, in fact they're very low, assuming you were riding the tower. 18/12 is my record still. But that's with Luna (high risk even on it's own) and riding the tower constantly. If you're on the tower, you're gonna get splatted. If you're on the tower and your team sucks/vanishes, you're gonna get splatted a LOT. If you weren't riding the tower then maybe that's high, but not necessarily, it's still a slightly lower range high risk weapon, and 16/8 is still like 8/0 + 8 trades. 8/0 alone would be a fair score.

Sploosh has no bombs so it's probably not great for TC (though beacons can shield you.) but if you love the fast TTK be sure to try it.
I was playing kamikaze style with quick respawn so that's why I died so much. I can never get close enough with the sploosh to kill anybody consistently. Either they see me coming and out range me or they somehow get away. I like the longer range on the splash and nzap, it just fits me better I guess. I'm trying the tri slosher, and it's interesting.

Award

I was playing kamikaze style with quick respawn so that's why I died so much. I can never get close enough with the sploosh to kill anybody consistently. Either they see me coming and out range me or they somehow get away. I like the longer range on the splash and nzap, it just fits me better I guess. I'm trying the tri slosher, and it's interesting.
Yeah, that's how I play luna too. It's a style that can be effective though many purists would decry it. High risk weapons, IMO have little other choice, you can only be effective by always being right there and in doing so you get hit a lot.

Sploosh, yeah, that's a love it or hate it thing. I happen to love it, but I admit it needs some SERIOUSLY close range flanking - like carbon roller, you need to be in hugging range, and hiding on walls is ideal. I still think the original beacon kit on sploosh makes more sense than the sensors. The nature of the weapon means you need to always be BEHIND the enemy, never in front. In front is suicide. It can also be considered support - you carve huge ink paths for your team fast and let them drop in behind the enemy.

Trislosher is fun. I hate button mashing but I have to admit I like the trislosher - but I don't think I'd abuse my fingers by maining it.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, that's how I play luna too. It's a style that can be effective though many purists would decry it. High risk weapons, IMO have little other choice, you can only be effective by always being right there and in doing so you get hit a lot.

Sploosh, yeah, that's a love it or hate it thing. I happen to love it, but I admit it needs some SERIOUSLY close range flanking - like carbon roller, you need to be in hugging range, and hiding on walls is ideal. I still think the original beacon kit on sploosh makes more sense than the sensors. The nature of the weapon means you need to always be BEHIND the enemy, never in front. In front is suicide. It can also be considered support - you carve huge ink paths for your team fast and let them drop in behind the enemy.

Trislosher is fun. I hate button mashing but I have to admit I like the trislosher - but I don't think I'd abuse my fingers by maining it.
Point Sensors on Neo Sploosh-o-Matic are mainly for team support and Kraken usage (why Special Duration Up is so good on this weapon).

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Right now I'm using the nzap, splash, and tri slosher. The nzap and the splash I play kamikaze style which I'm not sure how well it would work on flatter maps or splat zones. I play the tri almost the same way. Flank and kill but do to the lower ttk I play it a little safer. I do like the disrupters as a support sub though. When my team has a good charger I throw them on opponents in the open and watch him pick them off. It's really fun.

Award

Point Sensors on Neo Sploosh-o-Matic are mainly for team support and Kraken usage (why Special Duration Up is so good on this weapon).
Good point. I can never quite wrap my head around the idea that some players "main the special" to the point of supporting the special with the sub.

It makes sense when I think about it. It always seemed weird otherwise to have a sploosh with sub designed for targeting and rundowns on a weapon that can not be in any way played openly offensively.

Award

Right now I'm using the nzap, splash, and tri slosher. The nzap and the splash I play kamikaze style which I'm not sure how well it would work on flatter maps or splat zones. I play the tri almost the same way. Flank and kill but do to the lower ttk I play it a little safer. I do like the disrupters as a support sub though. When my team has a good charger I throw them on opponents in the open and watch him pick them off. It's really fun.
Yeah, I play the RBPD that way as well when there's a team sniper. It's great fun! You can also be a laggy trislosher, impossible for a sniper to hit, who then squidbags said sniper every time you get him, like the little jerk I dealt with the other day :p

For SZ, it's a hard pick between nzap and splash. Splash is by far the more consistent inker, but the short range can make you end up in the zones, which is pretty bad if you get splatted. I've used it successfully there, but had too many "oh shoot, I was splatted on the zones, why was I even THERE?" moments.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Yeah, I play the RBPD that way as well when there's a team sniper. It's great fun! You can also be a laggy trislosher, impossible for a sniper to hit, who then squidbags said sniper every time you get him, like the little jerk I dealt with the other day :p

For SZ, it's a hard pick between nzap and splash. Splash is by far the more consistent inker, but the short range can make you end up in the zones, which is pretty bad if you get splatted. I've used it successfully there, but had too many "oh shoot, I was splatted on the zones, why was I even THERE?" moments.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll try it and see if the extra range makes a difference. What do you think of the tri? I'm beginning to like it. It makes nice straight lines for movement and throwing disrupters can help your team take out people you can't. The bubbler is a good panic button too. I'll have to do some testing to figure out if the lower ttk makes a lot of difference to me.

Award

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll try it and see if the extra range makes a difference. What do you think of the tri? I'm beginning to like it. It makes nice straight lines for movement and throwing disrupters can help your team take out people you can't. The bubbler is a good panic button too. I'll have to do some testing to figure out if the lower ttk makes a lot of difference to me.
Tri is very versatile. It covers a lot of ground pretty fast, and has that periphery splash too that makes it hard for campers to get the best of you (much like a roller's fling) It's a good fit for SZ but is deadly for close range killing, and you don't need to hide like a ninja like with sploosh. The bubbler's not only a good panic button, but also very strong to join up with the rest of the team and share the bubble for a push (or when you see one of your kamikaze teammates just begging for trouble) - I've been getting a lot more used to the bubbler with CHydra. Originally I'd forget to use it, and recently I've been experimenting with spch charge up main abilities! I still loathe it when I see Jrs us it because they charge it so fast!

I kept an S+ with a 52 gal spamming splash walls busy for most of an entire string of matches on the right side of Depot when using the tri - and I'm far from a Trislosher main, I just take it out for fun now and then. Neither of us got each other more than once or twice but we were weaving and dodging each other the entire match, so it's mobility and threat level are definitely solid.

And if you decide to main tri, keep in mind that (unlike when you first asked!) there's now a second variant with seekers available (released New Year's Eve) so if you prefer going the stealth/flank route, seekers can be very deadly (I use Aerospray MG and Carbon Deco that way.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom