HELP! Questions about Splatoon 2 Local Multiplayer

Madd-D

Inkling
NNID
Madd-D
Hi squids! Now that Splatoon 2 has rolled out, I have some questions I want to ask about local multiplayer before I buy the game. I'm very confused and would really appreciate the help! :O Thanks in advance!

I want to play Splatoon 2 with my twin sister, who rooms with me. My first question is, what do I need to make that happen? How many switches and how many copies of the game (and maybe how many TVs??) do I need to play Turf War, Ranked Matches, and Salmon Run with my sister, locally?

My second question: Apparently, you need to have EIGHT PEOPLE present to play locally? Am I understanding that correctly? What if I just want to play with my one friend? Is it possible? :(

Again, thanks in advance! I really want to make an informed purchasing decision. I bought Splatoon 1 thinking I could play with my sister locally; I don't want to make a mistake like that again.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
As far as I am aware, you only need 2 switches and 2 copies of the game.
You can choose to either have one player on tv, other on the Switch's screen, or both on their switches.
It's apparently also possible to connect them without internet, through LAN.
There's an in-game area called the Shoal where local LAN battles can be done.

May need to double-check, but that's my understanding of it.

Madd-D

Inkling
NNID
Madd-D
As far as I am aware, you only need 2 switches and 2 copies of the game.
You can choose to either have one player on tv, other on the Switch's screen, or both on their switches.
It's apparently also possible to connect them without internet, through LAN.
There's an in-game area called the Shoal where local LAN battles can be done.

May need to double-check, but that's my understanding of it.
Thank you for the reply! I think the LAN connection can only be done when eight people are playing locally (which is honestly implausible outside of tournaments/competitions). A lot of the new local multiplayer features seem to revolve around 4-8 players being present at a time. I just want to know what my options are for only two players wanting to play locally.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
Ah! I suppose, if you both had internet access, you could do private battles online?
They can have any number of players, from 2 to 8 or even 10 (i think, with 2 spectators)

Madd-D

Inkling
NNID
Madd-D
Ah! I suppose, if you both had internet access, you could do private battles online?
They can have any number of players, from 2 to 8 or even 10 (i think, with 2 spectators)
If I did a private battle, would I be able to play with strangers (like you normally would in a Turf War, Ranked Match, etc.)? If you're familiar with Mario Kart 8 - that's what I want from Splatoon 2. An online match full of strangers, but me and my sister are playing together locally. Do private battles work like that? Also, thank you again for replying!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If I did a private battle, would I be able to play with strangers (like you normally would in a Turf War, Ranked Match, etc.)? If you're familiar with Mario Kart 8 - that's what I want from Splatoon 2. An online match full of strangers, but me and my sister are playing together locally. Do private battles work like that? Also, thank you again for replying!
One goes online in turf war and the other should be able to join fine locally online.

Lazuli

Inkling
If you have two switches you can play Turf War together, you just might not be on the same team. If you want to be on the same team you can pair up for a League Battle once you're both B- rank. You can also play salmon run together and the other two slots will be filled by random players.

Madd-D

Inkling
NNID
Madd-D
If you have two switches you can play Turf War together, you just might not be on the same team. If you want to be on the same team you can pair up for a League Battle once you're both B- rank. You can also play salmon run together and the other two slots will be filled by random players.
Whoa, I didn't know about Salmon Run! Thanks for the information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom