How do I play on this sh*t map?

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
As the title implies, I do not like Mahi-Mahi Resort. At all. I feel like it's too open, people can see what I'm doing at any moment, e-liters are broken here, and I have no idea what to do about this map for ****.

I'm not really looking for tips on this map in ranked modes so much as I am for Turf War (because I don't play ranked on my main account anymore, but I guess feel free to help there too if you want). But I need to learn how to play on this map. Playing on it is so stressful, I usually lose here, and the worst part is I don't know what the **** I need to do to fix that. But maybe if I learned Mahi-Mahi Trash Resort, I wouldn't hate the stage so damn much; it's been my least favorite Turf War map since the day it came out, and I've also hated it on Rainmaker because Mahi-Mahi Rainmaker is ****in' stupid. Even saying it's okay on Tower Control is a stretch, and I believe that's its best game mode. But honestly, I couldn't fricken tell you because I try to avoid the map as much as possible. But I'm putting my foot down and doing what I should've done a long time ago: get tips on how to play here.

So, what tips do you all have for playing on what is my least favorite Turf War map? The weapons I use in Turf War are as follows: Tentatek Splattershot (which I'll usually use on this map), Wasabi Splattershot, Aerospray MG, and Aerospray RG. I used the MG today on this map, and I usually don't do that but I wanted to do something different. It wasn't fun.

So, any tips? Any strategies or ways I should play on this map, given that y'all know what my weapons are?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Dude this is like my favorite map ever so here's some tips:

Don't turn into a squid on grates, or you'll fall into the water obviously.
For turf war, I don't know why I found the map particularly amazing to play on! Perhaps it's my weapon choice (Aerospray RG) or the fact that I do seem to lure people onto grates when they're kraken, which is hilarious. For me, It's pretty easy to swim up close behind and catch them off guard. I think the lag I get from my internet being satellite and limited is working to my advantage too, since it makes it easier for me to dodge laggy attacks (though I do get lag-killed sometimes).

I rarely get beat on mahi-mahi unless my team doesn't execute proper teamwork and come to me when I ask for assistance. Inkstrike is always useful for getting snipers since it's hard to get down from the place snipers usually tend to lurk around and wait for you. I suggest covering the sides that nobody really gets (The little platforms! They really count!) and making sure your base is inked properly by at least one person before heading to the middle. Try to keep the other team at bay as much as possible, and you'll be good. When the water rises, be sure to try and be the first to get the new areas.

I know killing isn't priority in turf, but try to target any players that may be too close to you if possible so that you can ink without too much hassle.

I've played rainmaker on this stage a few times, and honestly it's super fun for me too. Really all you need is a good team that will stick around you as you carry the rainmaker. Make sure to take the shortest route you can find (which usually is crossing over the higher platforms to the other side, but that's also a risky move since high ground is pretty visible. I tend to take the left side route, because after that you just need a clear path up to the goal. That can be difficult, but I've cleared matches on mahi-mahi faster than any other rainmaker map when I had proper supportive teams that know how to defend the person with the rainmaker.

All and all: Just don't fall in the water. It may seem easy to (because it is. I fall in by mistake a lot but I usually just laugh it off.) but it's also pretty easy to avoid if you jump in squid form and not kid form! Practice makes perfect!

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
All and all: Just don't fall in the water. It may seem easy to (because it is. I fall in by mistake a lot but I usually just laugh it off.) but it's also pretty easy to avoid if you jump in squid form and not kid form! Practice makes perfect!
Falling into the water isn't so much of a problem for me though. It's more so avoiding dying all the dam time while trying to play the game and avoiding e-liters. People tend to be ruthless killers on this stage, and I usually lose because my teams get wiped by people. I don't know how I can avoid this happening though. Should I go to their half so I can fight others while not having to worry as much about non-e-liter chargers? Like how do I prevent the issue of over visibility?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Falling into the water isn't so much of a problem for me though. It's more so avoiding dying all the dam time while trying to play the game and avoiding e-liters. People tend to be ruthless killers on this stage, and I usually lose because my teams get wiped by people. I don't know how I can avoid this happening though. Should I go to their half so I can fight others while not having to worry as much about non-e-liter chargers? Like how do I prevent the issue of over visibility?
That's the exact reason I use a weapon with inkstrike- I can inkstrike the E-liters / snipers usual hiding place and 99% of the time they either die or fall back enough for me to cover a good amount of turf. If nobody has inkstrike on your team taking the map can be a bit trickier, at least from my experience playing other weapons without it on the map. It could just be my opinion though. The other chargers can still be pretty harsh, but only if your'e not careful from my experience.

Sorry if my reply is a bit lacking in comparison to my last one, feeling kinda ill right now.

Boil

Full Squid
In my experience a dedicated sniper will go for obvious targets, they won't waste their ammo trying to flush someone out if they can help it. when you move slowly through your own ink even in an open area, your less visible to a sniper because there's no visible ripples.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
i guess.... get good? Make note of places where the snipers like to be at and the advantages of using the different paths. Also look at the map to see what is happening and create a plan

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Also look at the map to see what is happening and create a plan
I agree with this! Looking at the minimap is essential to see where needs inked and keeping the other team from advancing too much.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When it comes to Mahi-Mahi, snipers and Splatlings will easy claim control over the map. It can be hard to take them out with short ranged weapons like the Aerospray series but that's where stealth comes in. Always keep an eye out for any snipers and Splatlings - except Minis since they don't perch themselves - and attempt to find a way around them. Make sure that you know every route in Mahi. Across the middle, there's three different routes to take and speaking as a Splatling who perches on Mahi, we often can't keep a good eye on all three. So find the area that they're not watching and go that way. Often, you can cover good ground and sneak around them before they notice. Many players never actually look at their maps so it makes flanks easier. :P

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Come to think of it, I do tend to go the same way on this stage a lot (for some reason more often than on other stages). I need to experiment more with going in on the right side, especially because in theory I won't be hit by non-e-liters as easily.

Airi, when you said that there are 3 different routes across the middle, what exactly do you mean by that? It probably is obvious in its meaning, but I can't envision what you mean by it.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Okay as an E-Liter main and Mahi-Mahi Resort being one of my favorite maps, let me give you some advice.

As people have already, always keep track of the chargers and splattlings. It's very true that when I use my E-Liter, I can usually sniper people from almost anywhere. Here's the thing though, it's very easy to sneak into the base. It's kinda like a patience game. Try to sneak over as soon as the charger's distracted. The strat I use when I'm playing this map with a different weapon is that I use my special as a distraction and rush right in.

The thing that you have to be extremely careful about when approaching a charger is that they most like have a bunch of Damage Ups. So never just leap in front of a charger thinking that since they did not charge their shot all the way, they can't splat you. They most likely only need to halfway charge their shot to splat you down. Swift movement is the key. Not jumping around. Quick and swift movements have to make the charger completely focus on you. That makes them miss anything else going on at the moment.

Don't be super intimidated by chargers. No one's perfect and we all make mistakes and miss our shots sometimes.We can only splat one squid at a time, unless you guys group together (try avoid doing that). If your whole team jumps out at once, there's a lot for the charger to focus on. Let me tell you how I snipe people on this map. I just wait for people on the opposing team to jump over to the main section. It's so easy to snipe a jumping foe. Be extremely cautious of that. If you have swift movement, use your special effectively, and have no fear, chargers and splattlings shouldn't harass you too much on this map.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Bubblers can get pushed around like a pin ball and into the water on that stage. If everything that you have is about runnin and bubblin know that youll be exposed to things that may not be dangers for other specials.

Ive always felt like the inkzooka was the money special for mahi mahi as the level is pretty wide open with not a lot of structures to impede visibility, just dont get too close to the edge of the water when youre shooting.

Another thing that helps is exploring, despite the way it looks there are multiple routes to the same place. From my experience it's not that one is all that much quicker than the other but it helps to have options.

Snipers perch on corners in almost all occasions as do hydras. Find the corner. Find an uncovered route and pop em when they arent looking. Oh the joys of going up on an eliter execution style.

Range weapons have a perceived advantage here. If I go range I use the custom dual squelcher. If nothing else the wail is good for getting snipers to evacuate for a while to a less exposed are and allow your team to push.

Honestly tho my weapon set up (i run diff kinds of gear all the time, gots ta fill dem slots) is a slosher. I either am in the middle and in the fray or sneaking up directly under a sniper perch to lob some color their way.

Since Mahi-Mahi is one of my favorite maps as well, I'll drop a few tips for ya.

Mahi-Mahi is very deceptive in terms of size. You have a lot of room to maneuver, but in essence it’s quite small since a lot of combat takes place in the center and it can get pretty cramped in there. It deceptively looks large on screen though because every path leads to the center. Short story: It looks big from afar, but it’s actually quite small.

As a sniper, I usually end up dominating the beginning of any turf war matches on that stage since there are only a few obstacles obscuring my view. Snipers tend to dominate quite well since they can cover the entire center and some of the additional islands around it.

Quickest way to excel on this map is to learn the paths to the center and learn how to take advantage of them depending on your loadout.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
I'm not an elitre , but I DO use the perches for octobrush-brand sky attacks, and let me tell you, nothing's more annoying than that one squid who keeps coming and splatting us. especially if you're an elitre, cause I'm not and I get to drop down on the ground. if elitres do that, they're pretty much toast. I HAVE sniped on this map many times though and , yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.

be careful, choose a time when the sniper is distracted. if you can tell they saw you going round for them, retreat and carry on elsewhere. it'll distract them for a little, at the least.

also, dont underestimate harassment. you can throw bombs up at the sniper perch, that will distract them or maybe even splat them. inkzookas are a great special here, but MAKE SURE to be moving as you fire, because if you stand in one place, snipers can and will splat you.

dont walk around out of your ink in the open areas for too long, youre most vulnerable at walking speed. if you have to, try bunny hops or zigzagging, they'll make it harder to hit you, though not impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom