How do I play Tower Control?

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
I used to hate Splat Zones, didn't get how exactly I was supposed to play it, much better now.
Rainmaker I've always had the hang of.

But Tower Control man... I've never gotten how to play it. I've tried being the person to take the tower, I've tried flanking the people on the tower, but I've never gotten it. Help?

Xano

Inkling
Few quick tips

1. Make sure at LEAST one person on the enemy team is dead before jumping on the tower
2. There only needs to be one person on the tower for it to move. The others should be clearing the path ahead.
3. Some really good special weapons are: Kraken, Bubbler, Killer Wail
4. Splash Walls can be placed on towers(look up youtube videos)

Templar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TemplarAnimated
This has a lot to do with your weapon and your style of play. Are you an agressive player with a Roller? Then you may want to flank them, get a kill or two, then jump on the tower. But make sure your team back you up, or at least are in the area and not dead. If they are respawning, just play defensively and wait, try and not die during this time. If you are on the tower, and the enemy are coming, no shame in jumping off. Get off that tower, and fight them as normal, since if you're dead you're not helping the team and you can't push the tower.

Playing more of a Support role with a Heavy Splatling? Sit back as per usual, and make sure the place is inked so your team has a large amount of mobility to get to the tower, and your enemy can't jump you. Why can't they jump you? Since if you watch your minimap, you can literally see what path they are taking to you. Just stay awake. In the first 30 seconds also help your team get kills if you can, but positioning and staying alive is more important. Once the enemy is cleared, now you can push up, but still stay behind your team, and keep your eyes open for enemy flanks.

Charger, think support but instead focus on kills rather than inking, position and staying alive > aggressive pushing.

Tentatek, play agressive like a roller but stand a little further back. You can go on the tower, but you can also flank quite well. Make sure its at least 4v3 / 3v2 / Wipe before jumping on that tower though.

First think of your weapon, then your role and play to your advantages. This isn't all tower control but its a bit hard to be specific unless I know what your doing. Either way, good luck, and stay fresh!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
As with every mode, (but I think it gets overlooked the most on TC), Turf control is very important. If your base is turfed in enemy in, their push is going to be deadly because they're hiding anywhere in the vicinity of the tower ready to kill you.

On the flip side of that, if you're riding the tower straight into enemy turf, rest in peace because you have to defend yourself in every direction. This is a big part of the teamwork dynamic in Tower Control. If someone else is riding the tower, make sure they aren't heading straight into a death trap. Control the turf, do the flanking thing.

I personally always use Splattershot Jr on TC. My usual strategy (with many varying factors), charge my Bubbler ASAP, get kills with my team if possible. When my special is nearly charged (2/3 or higher), I get on the tower, spread the remainder of the ink to get my special. If I can get to 80 or so before activating the Bubbler, I'm good. The Bubbler buys me an extra 10-15 points if I'm lucky, at which point I'll go on the defensive, check my surroundings, retreat if I'm in a rough patch, keep going if its safe. This gets my team an early game advantage as most of this scenario happens within one minute.

As I said theres a ton of variability in this plan. I can usually see pretty quickly if its going to work or I have to do something else. This is just a barebones version of an approach I seem to use frequently. There's no "best way" to play, and you may find something else works a lot better. There are a lot of wrong ways to play, but this is just one option I've found to be effective.

Finally, I have to second @Templar 's advice of getting off the tower if you're in danger. I used to, (and still do sometimes), recklessly ride the tower to my death. It's a lot better to survive even if it means forfeiting the tower momentarily. Let them become the vulnerable ones. With my SSJ, I'm notorious for spamming splat bombs around the tower, or retreating with a splat bomb surprise on the tower for someone to foolishly jump into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom