How do I use the Heavy Edit Splatling?

Level 0 Maid

Inkling
I love the Heavy Edit Splatling to death. I love splatlings, I love tacticooler, I love school supply-themed weapons, and I wanna be good with it, but I seem to always flop when I try to use it. I'm used to using the backline Splatlings and I'm fairly comfortable with other midline weapons like .96 deco, gloogas, pro, and Nautilus, but I keep eating dirt with the Edit. Any particular tips on how to play it, what gear to use, or how it differs in playstyle from other similar weapons?
Thank you!

Suchi

The Eternal Dualie Squelchers User
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-3685-3474-1994
I played edit to four stars so I do have some experience with the weapon but don't take everything I say at face value because there will probably be some things I miss or get wrong but here's what I think about Edit:

Pros
  • Fast strafing speed
  • Incredibly fast fire rate and high DPS at full charge
  • Curling bomb allows it to be more evasive compared to other Splatlings
  • Cooler
Cons
  • Long charge time
  • Average splatling fire rate at partial charge
  • Second shortest range of the Splatlings
Edit's main X Factor is its increased fire rate at full charge. It fires 20 bullets per second at a full charge (the standard splatling fire rate is 15 shots/sec, which is also true for partial charge Edit). Edit also has faster strafing speed compared to other Splatlings (only Mini is faster) and is also the second shortest ranged Splatling (again, Mini is the shortest). That combined with the sub and special allow Edit to be a pretty aggressive splatling. Curling bombs allow it to approach or retreat faster and Cooler's quick respawn allows Edit to play more risky with less consequences. Because of that, Edit's more of a skirmisher/slayer/support type weapon compared to the backline Splatlings which are anchors. For gear, I recommend special charge up, two subs of special power up, and a good amount of run speed up. You can check out sendou to see what kind of builds people run on Edit and see what floats your boat.

Last edited:

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
The post above I think has some good points to get you started with. I myself have 4 stars on Edit, but I have 5 stars on Hydra and Naut so I'll compare Edit to those two for a bit of a different perspective.

So Edit is like the lovechild between Mini and Hydra, it plays like a weird mixture of the two. It wants to have a full charge in fights like Hydra and it wants to move around a lot like the mini. Edit uses it's partial charges mostly for painting turf rather than fighting like most splatlings. It's range is similar to Naut's, but Edit does not want to play as far back due to it's bullets being pretty weak by splatling standards. In general Edit struggles quite a bit againts anything longer range than it, as it has no way to reliably poke (Curling can only do so much) and it can't really go for fall-off shots.
So your general gameplan is to hide behind cover as you charge up and then dance around your opponents with your strafing speed as you mow them down with your insane fire rate. Make sure to learn your fire duration tho, as it's quite short due to how quickly all the bullets come out. Ideally you jump in the fray with cooler active or when you're close to getting cooler. Popping a cooler mid-fight to get a free shield is always a valid option.

Level 0 Maid

Inkling
I played edit to four stars so I do have some experience with the weapon but don't take everything I say at face value because there will probably be some things I miss or get wrong but here's what I think about Edit:

Pros
  • Fast strafing speed
  • Incredibly fast fire rate and high DPS at full charge
  • Curling bomb allows it to be more evasive compared to other Splatlings
  • Cooler
Cons
  • Long charge time
  • Average splatling fire rate at partial charge
  • Second shortest range of the Splatlings
Edit's main X Factor is its increased fire rate at full charge. It fires 20 bullets per second at a full charge (the standard splatling fire rate is 15 shots/sec, which is also true for partial charge Edit). Edit also has faster strafing speed compared to other Splatlings (only Mini is faster) and is also the second shortest ranged Splatling (again, Mini is the shortest). That combined with the sub and special allow Edit to be a pretty aggressive splatling. Curling bombs allow it to approach or retreat faster and Cooler's quick respawn allows Edit to play more risky with less consequences. Because of that, Edit's more of a skirmisher/slayer/support type weapon compared to the backline Splatlings which are anchors. For gear, I recommend special charge up, two subs of special charge up, and a good amount of run speed up. You can check out sendou to see what kind of builds people run on Edit and see what floats your boat.
Thank you so much for this, this actually puts a lot of stuff in perspective for me! Also, your formatting was amazing.
One of my favorite things to do with Heavy is to catch people approaching me while I charge behind cover, and it sounds like that's a very transferable skill. I'll try to base my gameplay around being more aggressive and mobile!

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
What's the advantage of this over Nautilus, besides the kit? Naut already has a pretty fast kill time, can store a partial charge, isn't committed to using its whole charge, has more range, and charges faster. How does a 25% faster TTK make up for that?

Suchi

The Eternal Dualie Squelchers User
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-3685-3474-1994
What's the advantage of this over Nautilus, besides the kit? Naut already has a pretty fast kill time, can store a partial charge, isn't committed to using its whole charge, has more range, and charges faster. How does a 25% faster TTK make up for that?
Kinda answered your own question there. Naut is definitely an overall stronger main weapon. It really just boils down to if you prefer Edit's playstyle over Naut. I main Dualie Squelchers. I know Splat Dualies are overall better. I still like playing DS because they're more fun to me. Sometimes that's all you need.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
my understanding is that heavy edit paints like crazy now so it's a very good support, and tacticooler is a nice thing to be supporting with. they don't really compete in the same niche i think, they want to do different things for their team

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom