How Does Defense Up Help You!?!

Boidoh

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Boidoh
I'm always getting splatted. Always. In Ranked Battles it is especially annoying. I play the role of the sniper in ranked battles and I usually stay at a high point on the map and I just quickscope scrubs with the Kelp Splatterscope. Whenever I die, my team immediatly begins to lose, I basically almost always carry my team I suppose. Even when everyone else is splatted and out, I'm usually still there keeping the zone safe. That is until I get splatted. I get rekt, my team gets rekt. I wanted to have good defense so that I dont easilly die from 3 or 4 blasts of an Aerospray or .52 Gal deco or something. These are my current stats:

Retro Spects:
Default - Quick Respawn
1st - Defense Up
2nd - Defense Up
3rd- Swim Speed up

Octoling Armor:
Default - Ink Saver (Sub)
1st - Quick Super Jump
2nd - Swimp Speed Up
3rd - Defense Up

Pro Trail Boots:
Default - Bomb Sniffer
1st - Defense Up
2nd - Quick Respawn
3rd - Run Speed Up

With about 4 Defense ups in the small spaces of the gear, why is it I always get splatted after 2-4 shots of a weapon, like what would happen without the upgrades?

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
I don't think defense up makes that much of a difference. You should just get ink resistance up and call it a day

If you go to the testing area for weapons and head to the back, you'll notice some targets have the defense up badge thing or w.e

So I decided to shoot at the one that had 3 defense ups and if I recall correctly, it only took me about one more hit to splat it.

If you have 4 defense up sub slots then it'd mostly likely only take an extra hit or two to kill you and considering the fire rate of some weapons, it isnt worth it. But then again I'm not one of those players that go hard on stats and stuff so maybe I'm wrong.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
The defense ups most likely will make it so that it takes an extra shot or two from different weapons to kill you. If your reaction time is fast enough, you might be able to get away and stay alive due to having the defense ups. Exactly how many you need to survive extra shots from the slow firing weapons, I'm not sure.

They aren't useless, but they aren't the most useful either.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Don't use defense up if you play charger.

It generally isn't going to matter for most weapon ; like someone else said in this threat ; look for ink resistance up if you want a better survivability.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm always dying in ranked, but whenever I die, my team starts to lose. Jumping has helped me a little bit, but I don't have very many other tips for you.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Defense ups will usually make it so that a shooter weapon such as the .52 gal (2 shot kill to a 3 shot kill) or the splash-o-matic (4 shot kill to a 5 shot kill) takes one extra shot to kill. However, if they are running an Attack Up perk, then it basically negates your Defense Up perk, making them kill you normally.

JarBear

Inkster Jr.
Defense ups will usually make it so that a shooter weapon such as the .52 gal (2 shot kill to a 3 shot kill) or the splash-o-matic (4 shot kill to a 5 shot kill) takes one extra shot to kill. However, if they are running an Attack Up perk, then it basically negates your Defense Up perk, making them kill you normally.
Yep, the attack and defense up abilities are not that important/helpful when compared to other abilities. I would take up the main saver over those any day ... even the subs depending on the weapon load out.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
You can gauge exactly how helpful defence up is, and against which weapons, by spending some time in the weapon testing area - in the second, smaller room, there are three targets, which have a 1x, 2x, and 3x defence up sticker on the front; by shooting them, and comparing against a regular target, you can see the difference in shots-to-splat. You'll find it's more effective against certain weapons than others. Just make sure you're not using gear with damage up when you test, or you'll skupper the results.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Defense Up has been proven to not really make any difference. It doesn't change the # of shots to kill for any weapons except the aforementioned .52 Gal and Splash-o-matic, and those guys would probably be running Strength Up anyway. You can't make yourself invincible, but besides Ink Resistance you might also look into Haunt (I've heard it puts a debuff on the person who kills you, though I could be wrong and if it doesnt then itd be a lot less useful) or maybe Ninja Squid could help your survivability. Besides that, just maybe pull back a little when you see enemies near you

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Defense Up has been proven to not really make any difference. It doesn't change the # of shots to kill for any weapons except the aforementioned .52 Gal and Splash-o-matic, and those guys would probably be running Strength Up anyway. You can't make yourself invincible, but besides Ink Resistance you might also look into Haunt (I've heard it puts a debuff on the person who kills you, though I could be wrong and if it doesnt then itd be a lot less useful) or maybe Ninja Squid could help your survivability. Besides that, just maybe pull back a little when you see enemies near you
Haunt makes the person who killed you last visible to the entire team like Echolocator does.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I agree with the sentiment that defense up doesn't help much in the long run. If someone caught you off guard 90% of the time you are going to get splat, especially if their weapon out powers or out ranges yours. Sure tricky maneuvering and fast reflexes helps but you are going to get splat every time if you are relying on defense stats, especially as a charger user.

I just started to main with a charger, I was horrible until I realized I cannot be stationary. You have to anticipate players actions on the map. Your best defense as a charger is to GTFO if you team starts to waver or you notice someone who is charging towards you and you aren't set up to splat them. Also staying up high isn't helping your team in the long run, sure it keeps people out of your shot range but there is always a way to splat a charger if they arent watching their back. Once the main path is cleared you need to advance and hold it until it becomes too dangerous. Your team will venture out and your new spot will become semi-secure. You will be surprised at the range of a lot of weapons plus the player jumping will splat you in your spot if you simply try to duck as an inkling and not run. If you are always taking the high ground it is easy for players to anticipate that and adjust during battle. Also keep a count of players, if you cant account for the player its likely they are sneaking up on you currently. That has saved my hide lots of times.

IMO, as far as stats, I user an ink saver main, an ink recovery and an ink resistance. Quick respawn isnt going to help you if your problem is you are getting splatted too much, its only going to get you resplatted faster. Ink saver sub is useful but you should have it for on your main weapon. You shouldn't be relying on your sub to splat someone only as a defensive measure to keep distance with enough time to safely recover the costly ink. Bomb sniffer is definitely one, if any of them, you shouldn't have imho as a charger user. 70% of the time you are going to be a good distance away. As a quick get away measure all the ground around you should be your ink. Your shots have range so before you advance it would be very easy to anticipate an ink mine as you would trigger it.

I'm still learning all the nuances of charger myself but this is what I have found out so far that helps me get most kills/least deaths on my team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom