• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 how good is an ink recovery/saver hybrid piece of gear?

Cheekydorido

Inkling
i've seen more people mention the ink savers rather than the ink recovery up, so i'm wondering if ink saver is downright better, but ink recovery is suited to both subs and mains instead of only one.

I've finally reached level 30 and so i started making gear and want to make some nice general gear, with combinations due to lower stack gains, i was thinking of making a gear with both ink saver main and recovery up as subs. i usually like to use ink hungry weapons like the pro, dualies and the brushes.

Any thoughts?

awedry

Full Squid
Hi Cheekdorido,

In my experience, the choice between Ink Savers and Ink Recovery depends on your main weapon, and how often you use your sub weapon.

Some weapons have high ink consumption, such as Splattershot Pro, Splat Brella, and Explosher. With these, Main Saver is valuable because it increases your active time between refilling ink. For me this is much more useful than faster ink recovery. It's also nice with dualie-type weapons as you can roll and fire more times on the same tank. Oh the other hand, if you use your sub frequently (often true with throwable bombs), a combination of Sub Saver and Ink Recovery allows you to use your sub more liberally. Try experimenting with different combinations to see what different loadouts can offer. The Splatoon wiki and loadout.ink sites can help guide you, even if some info is a bit outdated due to patches for the game.

A side note, some weapons have a long delay to start ink recovery, such as the Range Blasters. This isn't improved by Ink Recovery Up.

~A.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
From a competitive player, in my opinion and others in the community, really there are very few weapons who need ink management. ISM is still useful on brella and explosher, some people use 2 subs of ISM on slosher for some extra sloshes. As for Ink Recovery (and Ink Saver Sub) these are very common on weapons with Ink Armor and more importantly, lethal bombs. Kensa Undercover Brella and H3 Nozzlenose D are good examples of this. In this case, main saver is unnecessary on the weapon, but being able to throw out those lethal bombs is huge (especially with the torpedos the kunder has).

Of course, this is at high level play where you want to optimize everything, so you can still apply these concepts to other weapons you like to play and consider what abilities you need. One thing I will say is to encourage you to try and not use ink management abilities on everything, especially when you don't even need them and can get by without. You said you like to play "ink hungry weapons like pro, dualies, and brush." I could understand pro taking up good chunks of ink, but it's still possible to get by without any ink management. The most common ability you see on pro's these days is stacks and stacks of Main Power Up so you can get 99.9 damage in 2 hits instead of the usual 42 or whatever per shot. Of course, running so much MPU leaves people with no room for abilities like ISM, so the just work without it. How? Practice aim so you take less shots, and only shoot when you need to. Don't just hold ZR and go for it. Same goes for dualies and brushes. People don't use ink management on these weapons because they have other gear they wanna use since they can work perfectly fine without the ink management.

To be honest I would recommend focusing on movement abilities and special abilities over anything else. Mostly movement especially with weapons like the brush, having swim speed will be very very helpful, and most use ninja squid along with that to be sneaky and fast.

Just as some exposure to high level gear sets, I'll leave 2 of my aggro builds (I'm actually a charger main but I can flex other weapons and have builds for them). Take them with a grain of salt since they may not be optimal at every level of play (though stealth jump is still really good).
Build 1
Build 2 (Ninja Squid)

If you happen to have any questions on any of the abilities I'll explain but still for you I would try to focus more on Swim Speed and such. Of course, you can use whatever you want and I have no control over what you use so it's really up to you. If after this you still feel you need ink management then go for it no one will judge you if that's what helps you do better. Hope I could help somewhat!

Cheekydorido

Inkling
From a competitive player, in my opinion and others in the community, really there are very few weapons who need ink management. ISM is still useful on brella and explosher, some people use 2 subs of ISM on slosher for some extra sloshes. As for Ink Recovery (and Ink Saver Sub) these are very common on weapons with Ink Armor and more importantly, lethal bombs. Kensa Undercover Brella and H3 Nozzlenose D are good examples of this. In this case, main saver is unnecessary on the weapon, but being able to throw out those lethal bombs is huge (especially with the torpedos the kunder has).

Of course, this is at high level play where you want to optimize everything, so you can still apply these concepts to other weapons you like to play and consider what abilities you need. One thing I will say is to encourage you to try and not use ink management abilities on everything, especially when you don't even need them and can get by without. You said you like to play "ink hungry weapons like pro, dualies, and brush." I could understand pro taking up good chunks of ink, but it's still possible to get by without any ink management. The most common ability you see on pro's these days is stacks and stacks of Main Power Up so you can get 99.9 damage in 2 hits instead of the usual 42 or whatever per shot. Of course, running so much MPU leaves people with no room for abilities like ISM, so the just work without it. How? Practice aim so you take less shots, and only shoot when you need to. Don't just hold ZR and go for it. Same goes for dualies and brushes. People don't use ink management on these weapons because they have other gear they wanna use since they can work perfectly fine without the ink management.

To be honest I would recommend focusing on movement abilities and special abilities over anything else. Mostly movement especially with weapons like the brush, having swim speed will be very very helpful, and most use ninja squid along with that to be sneaky and fast.

Just as some exposure to high level gear sets, I'll leave 2 of my aggro builds (I'm actually a charger main but I can flex other weapons and have builds for them). Take them with a grain of salt since they may not be optimal at every level of play (though stealth jump is still really good).
Build 1
Build 2 (Ninja Squid)

If you happen to have any questions on any of the abilities I'll explain but still for you I would try to focus more on Swim Speed and such. Of course, you can use whatever you want and I have no control over what you use so it's really up to you. If after this you still feel you need ink management then go for it no one will judge you if that's what helps you do better. Hope I could help somewhat!
Thanks so much for your reply, I see what you mean, and for now I am doing exactly what you said, I just got my swm spd aviator goggles with 2 swm spd subs so i'm just going to make a pure head piece with swm spd to switch around with sets, can't get enough of swm speed really.

Also some running speed shoes with ink resistance seems like a good choice. I need to consider spreading some subs here and there.

Here's the thing though, the builds you shared are really suited to getting back to the fight asap and making a lot of use of super jumps, that's what the competitive scene is about? Interesting. I rarely use super jumps, unless I have splashdown charged.

Stardust-Sonic

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Stardust-Sonic
Whenever you use your main or sub weapon, there is a delay after shooting it before you can start recovering ink (which is represented by this white part on your gauge that indicate how much ink you used). It depends on all weapons, but if there's a weapon that takes some time before starting to recover ink after shooting, then it's probably better to stack some ink saver before ink recovery.

One critical example would be the dynamo roller. After each flick, it takes a really long time before starting to recover ink imo. And if you need to keep swinging this roller in the battle, then it's best to put on ink saver main than ink recovery.

Of course, this should not exclude the use of ink recovery, because if you need to get more ink quickly afterwards, then you might need it.

Or you can try out last-ditch effort. Once activated, it acts as ink saver main and sub and ink recovery all at once, and it acts as if you've stacked a large amount of these too. Since it now activates whenever the enemy reaches 50 in their progression of the objective in ranked and the effects increase if they get further, this might come in handy in those times you need all the ink you want in order to overtake their lead or defend your lead. It's not just activated in the last 30 seconds of the match anymore. In fact, it can take effect even in under 1 minute if the enemy pushes too far already, and it WILL be useful for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom