How this game still doesn't have an offline vs CPU mode boggles my mind.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Soon it's going to pay to play for online and maybe some people out there can't afford the online service. (Even though the prices for it are not that bad.) I mean Wii U service probably won't be lasting long for awhile which would make the first game lacking to play.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
yeah, I agree with you here. I just had a tower control game on walleye where two teammates disconnected. I feel like this is a case of Nintendo just being ignorant. I luv ya Nintendo, but really?

Hey, at least we get Octolings. I was worried that would be splatoon 3

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Have you seen how dumb the Octolings are in single player? Coding AI is hard at best, coding it for the complicated, fast-paced Splatoon mechanics would be even harder, and scaling it to different levels of difficulty (especially the highest levels, without flat-out cheating) would be even worse.

You should be able to play Salmon Run offline in LAN mode, though. There just need to be anti-cheating measures (not that cheating in Salmon Run would do a whole lot for you).

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
HA! Humans are still superior to computers!

As awful as the octolings are, anything would be better than a disconnect; assuming it can at least cover turf. One of the biggest disadvantages of being down a player is the difficulty of getting and holding map control. It is very difficult to hold control and then if the other team takes it back it is essentially impossible to recover. If adding AI is out the window then they at least need a better buff than "use tenacity."

I would also really like the idea of a single-player mode that is multi-player, in the sense that everyone else is AI. This could be something that has no impact on online play as long as it is an actual battle mode. I like the current single-player, but this would be better real-game practice.

NNID
ChrisH1994
Switch Friend Code
SW-4774-3187-2019
Gonna just mirror what MindWanderer is saying. Any shooter that is remotely complex will have AI issues, and despite Splatoon's simple premise: there is actually A LOT of stuff going on that would no doubt confuse the heck out of your general game AI. With all the stuff I know about game dev, I kind of get a feeling that at some point during development they might have tried to put in CPU opponents but once again because of all the stuff going on at once it just ended up being a mess and they probably had to scrap it. This is just a theory, but yeah.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is designed as an online game and they never even attempted to sell it differently. I am honestly pleased it has the single player content it has, and even more pleased about the upcoming single player campaign. It almost makes up for the content locked behind Nintendo's silly toys.
And what do you after completing the story with all the weapons then? Hmmmmm?
You play online. There are plenty of modes to play, even a PVE mode, Salmon Run.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
It is designed as an online game and they never even attempted to sell it differently. I am honestly pleased it has the single player content it has, and even more pleased about the upcoming single player campaign. It almost makes up for the content locked behind Nintendo's silly toys.

You play online. There are plenty of modes to play, even a PVE mode, Salmon Run.
But what are you supposed to do if you somehow don't have the means to afford online?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Then you get a different game. No matter what, Splatoon won't be great as an offline experience. No amount of effort would make it as fun as some other game you might buy to play offline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom