• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How to improve aim?

speedySonic

Full Squid
So I've been analyzing my gameplay and have come to the conclusion that all my losses and mistakes are because of my aim. I can't seem to aim well in tough situations (ie. 2v1) and this is causing me to die a lot. I can consistently win with the Slosher, but I want to learn other weapons, such as the Charger, and I can't perform well because I can't hit anybody.

Not sure if the training mode helps much because I can hit those targets easily (both the moving and stationary ones). And I've tried messing with sensitivity as well. I'm at +1 currently. Any ideas on how to practice my aim? I feel like it's hard to train in a real match because everyone wants you dead.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
How well you aim depends on a-lot of factors, especially thing in the moment such as positioning, movements, subs, etc. etc. A few tips i can give is:
  • Use the slosher less. Weapons that are more for burst fire make you aim less. Trust me, as someone who uses a carbon roller and the squelcher, switching between them diminishes my aim with either.
  • A charger is a HARD weapon to switch to from the slosher, it's kinda like if you were hitting targets with a water balloon, then suddenly switching to darts. It's not easy. I'd suggesting going with a weapon like the Jet squelcher / 96 gal, or simply something long range with a faster fire rate/ more forgiving to mistakes first, THEN switching to the chargers. (You're choice tho, you can go with charger, it's just gonna be a tougher learning curve)
  • If you use analog controls, practice how far you've gotten move the analog stick to fit certain distances to your target. (Ex if the targets 45 degrees to the left in your view, how long do you have to hold left on the right analog stick to lock onto them) Also practice y turning if things get hairy in a fight to turn around and book it!
  • IF you use motion controls, practice keeping calm when targets suddenly pop out of nowhere and start attacking to steady your aim, a good tip for fighting multiple opponents is to give yourself some distance and think about how you wanna tackle the situation. Sometimes you'll back up, one will follow, and then you can take em' down 1 by 1, other times both or neither will follow and the best option is to try to cut them off and run.
  • A solid tip for more precise aiming is to lower your sensitivity, the less motion/energy you have to use to aim at a target, the slower and less effectively your brain can memorize actions, improve aim, and lock onto/lead targets; also the slower motion makes it easy to compensate for your enemies more subtle movements like jumping or strafing.
That's pretty much all i can think of at the moment. There's certainly more tips out there, but this is all i can think of for now. (I'd recomend watching vids to get more tips tho!)
For practicing, in the range i'd suggest making rapid movements THEN locking on and firing at targets, change elevation/positioning occasionally, and to switch up the order of which you splat the targets.
In the field, just go with the flow. It's gonna take time and some experience/experimenting to build your aim, but once you get going it'll get easier. (To both train and splat scrubs!)
Good luck out there m8!

speedySonic

Full Squid
How well you aim depends on a-lot of factors, especially thing in the moment such as positioning, movements, subs, etc. etc. A few tips i can give is:
  • Use the slosher less. Weapons that are more for burst fire make you aim less. Trust me, as someone who uses a carbon roller and the squelcher, switching between them diminishes my aim with either.
  • A charger is a HARD weapon to switch to from the slosher, it's kinda like if you were hitting targets with a water balloon, then suddenly switching to darts. It's not easy. I'd suggesting going with a weapon like the Jet squelcher / 96 gal, or simply something long range with a faster fire rate/ more forgiving to mistakes first, THEN switching to the chargers. (You're choice tho, you can go with charger, it's just gonna be a tougher learning curve)
  • If you use analog controls, practice how far you've gotten move the analog stick to fit certain distances to your target. (Ex if the targets 45 degrees to the left in your view, how long do you have to hold left on the right analog stick to lock onto them) Also practice y turning if things get hairy in a fight to turn around and book it!
  • IF you use motion controls, practice keeping calm when targets suddenly pop out of nowhere and start attacking to steady your aim, a good tip for fighting multiple opponents is to give yourself some distance and think about how you wanna tackle the situation. Sometimes you'll back up, one will follow, and then you can take em' down 1 by 1, other times both or neither will follow and the best option is to try to cut them off and run.
  • A solid tip for more precise aiming is to lower your sensitivity, the less motion/energy you have to use to aim at a target, the slower and less effectively your brain can memorize actions, improve aim, and lock onto/lead targets; also the slower motion makes it easy to compensate for your enemies more subtle movements like jumping or strafing.
That's pretty much all i can think of at the moment. There's certainly more tips out there, but this is all i can think of for now. (I'd recomend watching vids to get more tips tho!)
For practicing, in the range i'd suggest making rapid movements THEN locking on and firing at targets, change elevation/positioning occasionally, and to switch up the order of which you splat the targets.
In the field, just go with the flow. It's gonna take time and some experience/experimenting to build your aim, but once you get going it'll get easier. (To both train and splat scrubs!)
Good luck out there m8!
Thanks! This will be really helpful. I use motion by the way.

What exactly do you mean by "rapid movements" in the testing range?

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
I learned how to aim the hard way by just knowing that I had to move faster. A few tips I would suggest are that you start out with something like the Dualies or the N-Zap. Those have a decent range. I was a Splatling user in the first game and that really made me learn quick just through necessity since it's a slow one so you might want to give something slower like that a try too. Plus once you have that target locked it's pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Another thing the Splatling will teach you is movement. With that weapon you really need to move/swim quickly when in a tough spot, especially fighting multiple enemies. So that can teach you two things at once. Honestly I'd probably just recommend that weapon to start helping your aim and other things altogether.

The main way I am improving on my aim now is incrementally increasing the sensitivity +1 or +2 at a time. Doing it like that isn't so jarring as increasing to Max right from the get go. By the end you should be able to aim faster or just as fast as your enemies. You'll definitely have the jump on players not maxing out their sensitivity.

Last edited:

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
Thanks! This will be really helpful. I use motion by the way.

What exactly do you mean by "rapid movements" in the testing range?
Yw!
And for rapid movements, I mean just moving around quickly and changing positions often, then locking onto and splatting targets, this helps practice locking onto and chaining targets 1 by 1; Which in 1v2/3/4's will help you take on/keep track of multiple opponents. This is something you'll quickly utilize in the field after some practice because it can make you much harder to hit in ANY duel, but be sure to remember and use effectively the weapon you have in the way it's advantageous. (Ex if you've got a long range weapon, be sure to keep you distance to avoid entering splat range, if short, be sure to close the distance before starting a fight with someone who out ranges you)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The targeting range is your friend. Just practice shooting dummies over and over until you get a sharp aim. If you want something less punishing, you can try the Heavy Splatling or the Jet Squelcher.

There are a lot of other factors that will come into play when trying out chargers like positioning and keeping your distance, so don't forget that stuff too!

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
You should start at a VERY LOW sensitivity. I would try gyro -3 and stick -1. Even with a low sensitivity, you actually still have a lot of speed, because you can use the stick and gyro together to move rapidly. Low sensitivity means more control and less jitters, not less speed. I got this stuff from ThatSrb2Dude, who made some very helpful videos on the topic.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I'm assuming most people here play with the pro controller, using the stick for camera/big movements and motion for subtle movements and aiming.

I use split joycons (if you played Metroid 3 or any Wii/Wii-U era COD game with motion controls on, think of it like that) instead. I find using the right joycon to point more directly at my target helps with aiming. I rest my forearms on my legs (gamer hunch) and aim with my wrist still, but mentally, I have the feeling of aiming right at where I'm shooting -- sort of like pointing a laser pointer at the screen.

Maybe changing the control methods could help. Same with trying handheld mode with the motion on. The optimal control method of the masses may not be the optimal control method for you.

I'm certainly fine enough with the pro controller and (to a lesser extent) in handheld mode, but split joys with motion sensitivity all the way up is what works best for me. Maybe it would for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom