How would custom kits even begin to be balanced

Player#11

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-0669-8194
Now I know that people are REALLY upset about how the some of the kits have been and I understand that people really want the system changed. But one thing that I've been thinking about is how exactly are they gonna balance the system. (For this I will be using the Splatoon 3 subs and specials for the number of combinations or possible combinations)

Problem #1: What if the same weapon or similar weapons become persistent problems? For example let's say that Burst Bomb/ Trizooka Slosher becomes dominant in the meta and then Nintendo does a patch to nerf it. What does Nintendo do when Torp/Trizooka Slosher takes over and does the same thing and then Torp/Inkjet Slosher takes over after that? The problem with this is that if one sub or main or special gets nerfed there's usually something right behind it that just takes it place.

Problem #2: What does Nintendo about weaker options/combos? In the earlier prompt I talked about nerfing the super strong combos but what does Nintendo do about the weaker options? Like should combos like Beacon/Storm be buffed to be good with stuff like Dapples/Octobrush or kept the same because it synergizes well Pencil/Ballpoint or should they just recommend kits for people to use as for a weapon (Realistically the community will probably do this but let's assume that Nintendo is thinking about this)

Problem #3 Nerfing weapons hurting other weapons. I mentioned earlier about nerfing a weapon that ends up being problematic but what happens when a sub or special that one weapons uses effects another weapon. For example let's go back to the Burst Bomb/Trizooka Slosher gets Burst Bomb nerfed. What happens to weapons like Carbon or L-3 that REALLY like having burst bomb. Do they just lose out? Do they just go to something else like Torp( and have the cycle repeat) or do they adjust them individually?

Problem #4 It's get complicated FAST. If they go with the last option from the last prompt it would get super complicated FAST. Like how would someone coming into the game know that Splash Wall for Reef-Lux is 30% faster or the Splash Wall for H-3 is 30% more durable or Burst Bomb on Slosher has a 15% smaller explosion radius and there's like 225 combinations with over 100 main weapons (These are VERY ROUGH numbers so please feel to correct me on this).

Now I know that Nintendo is a big multi-millionaire dollar company and their devs are probably smart enough to figure out some of these issues but it could also be big enough issues for the devs to not implement custom kits into.

If you have any comments or questions about this(or just wanna call me dumb) please feel free to add onto this

TLDR: Customs kits could lead to weapons staying in the meta for WAY too long, Other options get snuffed out even more than now, Weapons getting shafted for other weapons doing well, custom balancing would get complicated fast

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
The basic concept of custom kits would definitely become a problem when using S3 as the basis of how that idea could work but that's why I think that custom kits wouldn't be as simple as "choose whichever sub and special you want".
If Splatoon 4 wanted to do custom kits then the game could be built around that idea, making it easier to balance than just giving everyone the freedom to choose any sub or special in S3.
Now I'm not exactly sure what the devs could do but an idea that's commonly proposed is that every weapon has a small pool of subs and specials they can pick from.
This system would still have some limitations on kit customization but it would be easier to prevent certain sub/special combinations that could be a problem for the game.
For example, Slosher could have either Torp, Splat Bomb, or Sensor for subs and Triple Inkstrike, Cooler, or TSD for specials.
It's not perfect but I do think we need to move away from the kit system, especially if we're going to continue getting more main weapons.
We don't have third kits in S3 so there's a lot of sub/special combinations we didn't end up seeing and I don't want that problem to get worse in the next game.

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
The only way custom kits would work is in PB, where you just experiment with stuff for fun. Tournaments would definitely ban it (unless it was themed around custom kits) but that's probably it.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If you took S3 as is and let players mix and match, yeah that would introduce a lot of problems. But that's only because S3 was designed around kits. All potential problems can be addressed by S4 being designed from the ground up around a different system.

Games that let you choose your weapon loadout exist. Games have been successfully designed around this already. It can be done.

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
Now I know that people are REALLY upset about how the some of the kits have been and I understand that people really want the system changed. But one thing that I've been thinking about is how exactly are they gonna balance the system. (For this I will be using the Splatoon 3 subs and specials for the number of combinations or possible combinations)

Problem #1: What if the same weapon or similar weapons become persistent problems? For example let's say that Burst Bomb/ Trizooka Slosher becomes dominant in the meta and then Nintendo does a patch to nerf it. What does Nintendo do when Torp/Trizooka Slosher takes over and does the same thing and then Torp/Inkjet Slosher takes over after that? The problem with this is that if one sub or main or special gets nerfed there's usually something right behind it that just takes it place.

Problem #2: What does Nintendo about weaker options/combos? In the earlier prompt I talked about nerfing the super strong combos but what does Nintendo do about the weaker options? Like should combos like Beacon/Storm be buffed to be good with stuff like Dapples/Octobrush or kept the same because it synergizes well Pencil/Ballpoint or should they just recommend kits for people to use as for a weapon (Realistically the community will probably do this but let's assume that Nintendo is thinking about this)

Problem #3 Nerfing weapons hurting other weapons. I mentioned earlier about nerfing a weapon that ends up being problematic but what happens when a sub or special that one weapons uses effects another weapon. For example let's go back to the Burst Bomb/Trizooka Slosher gets Burst Bomb nerfed. What happens to weapons like Carbon or L-3 that REALLY like having burst bomb. Do they just lose out? Do they just go to something else like Torp( and have the cycle repeat) or do they adjust them individually?

Problem #4 It's get complicated FAST. If they go with the last option from the last prompt it would get super complicated FAST. Like how would someone coming into the game know that Splash Wall for Reef-Lux is 30% faster or the Splash Wall for H-3 is 30% more durable or Burst Bomb on Slosher has a 15% smaller explosion radius and there's like 225 combinations with over 100 main weapons (These are VERY ROUGH numbers so please feel to correct me on this).

Now I know that Nintendo is a big multi-millionaire dollar company and their devs are probably smart enough to figure out some of these issues but it could also be big enough issues for the devs to not implement custom kits into.

If you have any comments or questions about this(or just wanna call me dumb) please feel free to add onto this

TLDR: Customs kits could lead to weapons staying in the meta for WAY too long, Other options get snuffed out even more than now, Weapons getting shafted for other weapons doing well, custom balancing would get complicated fast
that's the neat part, they dont.

i wish kits had a system like this:

Mix and match for all 3!

Lethal Bomb Controllable Special (Eg zipcaster, Crab, Kraken)
Chip Support + Curling Bomb Cannon-Type Special (Eg tristrike, tenta missles, trizooka)
Full Support Support Special (Eg bubbler, Cooler, vac

ex:

Goo tuber: Torp + Missile (Chip Support and Cannon-Type Special)
Custom Goo Tuber: Ink Mine + Inkjet (Full Support and Controllable Special)
Z+F Goo Tuber: Splat Bomb + Ink Vac

We'd get 3 unique playstyles per weapon! besides, no more of that "shot gets two lethal bombs because **** you" kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom