I can't play splatoon with my current router.

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
I got a new 4G router because my old router was incredibly slow. So I connected my Wii U to it and went into Splatoon and everything looked like it was working fine. But I tried connecting to a match, and it told me that I failed to connect. I tried again and again, thinking it was just a simple disconnect, to no avail. I've already tried all of the nintendo tutorials (setting up DMZ, port forwarding, etc.) but none of them worked, also my router doesn't even have a port forwarding setting. So basically now I haven't been able to play Splatoon for 4 months. Help!

also i don't know the correct forum to post this in.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Eh, it's a good enough place as any to post. What's the specific model of your router?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oof. I'm not an expert, but I have never had a positive experience with Huawei products.

G

girigiriHERO

I got a new 4G router because my old router was incredibly slow. So I connected my Wii U to it and went into Splatoon and everything looked like it was working fine. But I tried connecting to a match, and it told me that I failed to connect. I tried again and again, thinking it was just a simple disconnect, to no avail. I've already tried all of the nintendo tutorials (setting up DMZ, port forwarding, etc.) but none of them worked, also my router doesn't even have a port forwarding setting. So basically now I haven't been able to play Splatoon for 4 months. Help!

also i don't know the correct forum to post this in.
4 months? wow. If your router is close enough to the Wii U and you wanna skip all that set up garbage just buy an USB Ethernet Adapter from Amazon, more reliable and less disconnects, best $15 I've spent.

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
4 months? wow. If your router is close enough to the Wii U and you wanna skip all that set up garbage just buy an USB Ethernet Adapter from Amazon, more reliable and less disconnects, best $15 I've spent.
Thanks for the advice, but I've also tried that and set up a wired connection and it still won't work.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Really? If even a wired connection doesn't work, something that's usually pretty foolproof, then your router just might not play nice with the wii u.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I got a router when I updated my internet/cable with TWC... maybe update your internet... it may cost more BUT IT'S WORTH IT!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That does raise a question. Do other online functions of the Wii U work? What about other games? Is it just Splatoon?

G

girigiriHERO

Matchmaking in all games just doesn't want to work, but everything else besides that works just fine.
sounds like your internet connection. My recommendation is upgrade to the next level for one month and see if that changes things. If not could be an issue with the Wii U itself, but that doesn't make much sense because even hard wired it doesn't work.

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
sounds like your internet connection. My recommendation is upgrade to the next level for one month and see if that changes things. If not could be an issue with the Wii U itself, but that doesn't make much sense because even hard wired it doesn't work.
There is no next level, and I'm locked in a 2 year contract I have to pay $300 (£219) to get out of.

G

girigiriHERO

There is no next level, and I'm locked in a 2 year contract I have to pay $300 (£219) to get out of.
wow that's some horrible service right there. Even if Canada if you enter a contract you just need to have a minimum monthly price, but you can upgrade or downgrade as needed. For example I has 25mb/s connection but I download nearly 1TB/month so for $20 more they removed by 250GB cap.

Also, no next level, you're on the top tier? What is your speed like?

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
wow that's some horrible service right there. Even if Canada if you enter a contract you just need to have a minimum monthly price, but you can upgrade or downgrade as needed. For example I has 25mb/s connection but I download nearly 1TB/month so for $20 more they removed by 250GB cap.

Also, no next level, you're on the top tier? What is your speed like?
Pretty nice compared to what I had before, YouTube and Netflix work brilliantly, but most online games (pc or not) work, but not entirely. In some games I can't be the host, but in some games I have issues joining but can host fine. The only game so far that I could do a little bit of both in was LittleBigPlanet 2, which required me to put the PS3 into the DMZ but otherwise worked OK. Now, my Wii U on the other hand, even after putting it in the DMZ nothing multiplayer-wise wanted to work.

also forgot to mention, 8 mbps. i live in a place where good internet options are few and very far between, and that was one of the better options.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That speed's pretty low, technically not broadband even by poor American standards. Between that and the odd router, your current set-up just may not work well enough for online games, it seems.

The only idea I could possibly offer at this point is to try a different router, but that probably isn't the main issue here.

Last edited:

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
well here's some good news
the good internet company in my area (KCI) is laying down fiber for all the streets in my city, meaning i can get 70mbps for the same price as my 4g internet. yay

ramencupofjoy

Inkling
NNID
gtlegacy
4 MONTHS LATER
i finally got fiber internet. 40 megabits up and down. works with splatoon but i missed out on most of the events D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom