I guess we're not getting this kind of gear anytime soon in the West.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Did a bit of research and it appears Japanese players get a lot of goodies that us EU/NA players can't get. There was a 7/11 event where you'd get exclusive gear codes if you bought some bubble gum. Though that's been a while, so I'm not sure if it is the gear you showed up there or a different kind of exclusive gear.

Anyways... Yep, it's kind of unpleasant that Japanese players get a bunch of shiny things we won't ever get. And about that I'm sure: We'll never have this gear available. I shadily remember something like this happening before in Splatoon 1 and we also never got it in the West. May have to do with licensing issues or Nintendo being too lazy. It is most likely a mixture of it.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Manga-based gear have translated names in the US version? If Nintendo of America went as far as to localize the names, I imagine they'll ship in a patch down the line.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
iirc
They plan to make all these JP exclusive gears available globally once the My Nintendo: Switch rewards starts up.

And I believe that is planned to start up alongside the launch of the paying-extra-money-for-the-same-connection-you-used-to-get-for-free "service" *ahem* "Nintendo paid online service"

Last edited:

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Actually, that's super believe-able. With Nintendo-Zones gone, I didn't even think of how exactly Nintendo would distribute all of Japan's promos. Now we're all going to have to re-download Miitomo to rack up some coins, great.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'm glad all the JP exclusive gear is pretty underwhelming and not a huge blow to not have in general. The practice is still pretty stupid though, but I can't I'll get upset until they start making worthwhile, or interesting gear exclusive to Japan.

I recall the Squid Girl outfit was JP exclusive for a little bit back in Splatoon 1. We got it eventually but that would have been so lousy if we never got it, so I understand the basic frustration of missing out on gear. But at least with Splatoon 2, we have more gear, chunks allow for better customization, and the app allows for different main abilities making gear more interchangeable. Missing a couple of samey looking shoes and jackets isn't a big deal.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Thankfully all the JP-exclusive gear so far have been recolors of existing outfits (excluding the emperor headgear, but that's essentially a tiny earring), but it'd still be nice if we could get it overseas aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom