I hate ranked

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
The simple solution is to not care about the rank you have, and focus on simply enjoying the game. You could also try doing squad battles with your friend, especially with voice chat. I do this a lot, and even if I lose most I still have fun because I'm with my friends. If the game just ends up not being your thing, you can just sell it, and find a game you do enjoy.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
The simple solution is to not care about the rank you have, and focus on simply enjoying the game. You could also try doing squad battles with your friend, especially with voice chat. I do this a lot, and even if I lose most I still have fun because I'm with my friends. If the game just ends up not being your thing, you can just sell it, and find a game you do enjoy.
I say keep playing until you get lucky. That's what I did and now I have 2 S Rank accounts.

Last edited:

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I say keep playing until you get lucky. That's what I did and now I have 2 S Rank accounts.
If you value rank, definitely plan out when you plan to get favorable maps and modes. If you want to just be relaxed and play the modes casually, it's best to just ignore the rank, or think of it as a matchmaking tool rather than a way to brag and show how good you are.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
It kinda hurts to get into a one sided match though.

Inversely, it's awesome fun when you get into one where you really fight for it.

I suppose i'm a tryhard, because i kind of get peeved when people treat Turf War like a Deathmatch.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I already stopped caring once after reaching A+99, and then again after reaching S+ and realizing S+99 is pretty much impossible lel. I got as far as S+80, but just yesterday I was deranked to S, and you know what, that didn't phaze me at all! I just continued playing and having fun with the game!

InklingCaitlin

Full Squid
NNID
Caitlin
Switch Friend Code
SW-0816-6246-4407
I hate ranked as well, simply because I keep getting paired up with lousy teammates and OP enemies. I can't even get to C+ so... I just avoid ranked. But I do agree with some of you that we need turf wars in ranked as well.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I hate ranked as well, simply because I keep getting paired up with lousy teammates and OP enemies. I can't even get to C+ so... I just avoid ranked. But I do agree with some of you that we need turf wars in ranked as well.
I actually want a Ranked and Normal version of all game modes. It'd be nice to be able to practice them all.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I just want to mention this:

People saying "oh rank doesn't matter" but then organizers of squads or even the general public who want people to join or play with them at a certain rank of say at least A or S...

You're all hypocrites in that regard; If you're saying rank doesn't matter then why do you focus your time and energy on trying to boost it? We all know anyone who plays ranked decides to boost their rank either as the primary objective or a by-product of their play (95% primary I hope) and i'm very sure nobody wants to lose their rank to the point of it dropping down to B's and C's so you're often going to play at 100% all the time. If you really want to play ranked without all the damn stress then I suggest you make an alt (and even then I want that alt to have a high rank, call me crazy).

And indeed, rank is some form indication of someone's skill whether you agree with it or not. If a C+ player tries to contact you, you would ignore that individual whereas an A or S ranked player contacts you, you get noticed. I also doubt that you would watch videos or streams of B ranked players or lower too.

So those saying that rank doesn't matter, again, you're all hypocrites.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure I follow - sure, if teams use rank as a condition on selection then your rank will matter to your chances of being picked up by a team. That certainly makes sense.
But for myself, I play to have fun, and I find winning fun, so I play to win. If I win then my rank goes up, but that's not why I'm playing. Of course, I also want to improve at the game, and reach some level of competency, but rank is not a very reliable indicator of competency. If you're good at the game then you're more likely to achieve a high rank, but you can achieve a high rank without being especially good at the game - at best, skill is a sufficient but not necessary condition on high rank.
I don't really understand your point about ignoring contact from low rank players - seems pretty churlish to me.
Finally, there's absolutely nothing hypocritical about maintaining a desire to improve one's rank, but also suggesting that rank does not matter to the point that one should be stressed out by the prospect of dropping rank, and I think that's been the thrust of many of the comments here.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I wish I could play all the game types in normal mode. I hate the added stress that comes with trying to work up ranked. I'd love to be able to practice the game modes, since I absolutely hate Rainmaker and usually quit playing because all I do is drop rank when I play it.
While playing turf wars or even ranked add players from your friend list (users played with). Once you build your list check the bottom option where you can play with friends or better yet create a room where you control the mode. You can practice rainmaker, splat zones etc there. You won't have as many players at first but try that out and see if it helps your game.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
But for myself, I play to have fun, and I find winning fun, so I play to win. If I win then my rank goes up, but that's not why I'm playing. Of course, I also want to improve at the game, and reach some level of competency, but rank is not a very reliable indicator of competency. If you're good at the game then you're more likely to achieve a high rank, but you can achieve a high rank without being especially good at the game - at best, skill is a sufficient but not necessary condition on high rank.
I don't really understand your point about ignoring contact from low rank players - seems pretty churlish to me.
Finally, there's absolutely nothing hypocritical about maintaining a desire to improve one's rank, but also suggesting that rank does not matter to the point that one should be stressed out by the prospect of dropping rank, and I think that's been the thrust of many of the comments here.
I didn't want to reply to this but:

Open your eyes, do you really think that this doesn't happen anywhere?

And the last bolded comment doesn't make sense. What I said is that the hypocritical people are the ones who say rank doesn't matter but then want to increase their rank for whatever reason meaning they DO care. Ranked mode will ALWAYS put you in the situation that you have to play at your best if you want some form of fun or achievement.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Oh I'm sure it happens, I just think it's silly :) But I also think it's unwise to generalise and presume that everyone reacts in this way - I certainly wouldn't.
I'm sorry it doesn't make sense - maybe this will clear it up: The OP has stated that the prospect of deranking stresses them out, to the point that they "hate" playing the ranked game modes. I - and others - have advised them not to take rank so seriously. There's a distinction between caring about your rank, and caring to the point that it causes you stress and bother, and there's no hypocrisy in doing the former, whilst advising the OP that they shouldn't do the latter. I think much of the advice in this thread has been along these lines, and so accusations of hypocrisy are somewhat misplaced. That's all :)

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Contrary to what others have said, the elephant in the room is that one's rank does matter, enough to the point where some don't even play Ranked for fear of losing it. Once you compare it to VR in MK8 for example, it's certainly a better indicator of your overall skill. VR in MK8 was more of an indicator of how long you played the game rather than your skill level, further made less indicative by the fact that you could only lose very few points if you lost. But that's not the case in Splatoon. You can gain and lose points, sometimes punishing and sometimes rewarding based on the rank the other players are if you win or lose. This system is flawed in that it's dependent on both your team and the opposing team, and therefore you might deserve a different rank. Even so, it's still a good way of determining your general skill, despite its imperfections in doing so.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I didn't want to reply to this but:

Open your eyes, do you really think that this doesn't happen anywhere?

And the last bolded comment doesn't make sense. What I said is that the hypocritical people are the ones who say rank doesn't matter but then want to increase their rank for whatever reason meaning they DO care. Ranked mode will ALWAYS put you in the situation that you have to play at your best if you want some form of fun or achievement.
There's truth that everyone cares about their rank to some degree but i wouldn't think of it as a binary thing, ex. you either care about your rank or you don't. Some people see it as prestige, others as a rough indicator for their skill, others are more concerned about the effects it has on matchmaking. If anything, lowering rank mean you don't have to hear the insulting defeat theme for the zillionth time anymore and that's always a plus.

I love to play ranked because the matchmaking for Turf War sucks inksacs and pairs me up with lvl 50 dudes and dudettes everytime. It also thinks it's good to dump lvl 1-9 players with lvl 40-50 in one room, resulting in frustrating spawncamping. There's also the issue of being stuck with idiots who think it's hilarious to mash the L-Trigger for hours on end, 3 minutes at a time. Seriously, there's private games for that now, guys...
Ranked has the decency to pair me up with players at my skill level. I don't play Ranked to increase my ranking, but to have fun.

I don't mind de-ranking that much because it'll mean the next matches will be way easier to wash the salt of the losing streak away. Say goodbye to the E-Liters with perfect aim and wall-spamming .96 decos, say hi again to people who try seeker spam and superjump knee-deep into enemy territory. It'll be smooth sailing untill i get my old rank back again.

toxictower

Full Squid
I definitely care about my rank, I dropped from an S recently, but it's all good, I'll get back. I agree though, Splatoon needs more single player modes like Turf War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom