Ink Storm.... Underwhelming....?

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Does anyone else find the special weapon "Ink Storm".... Lacking? It's damage is so low that you'll only get a splat if the person is badly damaged and it doesn't ink turf particularly well, the other team can easily clean it up. I understand that if it did too much damage, it would be Inkstrike 2.0 but would a buff for it be reasonable?

Calissant

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0729-8716-4971
I've only used the Ink Storm a handful of times but my experience with it has been nothing but disappointing. If anything, it needs to do a bit more damage and move a bit quicker. It's too easy to dodge and clean up after right now. I understand that the new specials are supposed to have situational uses, but some of them are just downright bad in most of them.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I think it's one of the better Splatoon 2 specials, but that's just me. You aren't locked into some form like the Stingray/Baller, you throw it and it inks stuff for you like a traveling invisible sprinkler. It's pretty useful to re-gain territory, and you're not left vulnerable for it unlike the Stingray.

It's not saying much because the specials in this game pale in comparison to the S1 specials, but there you go. They're move like small free extras you get every now and then.

Geistbox

Full Squid
The Ink Storm isn't meant for killing, nor is it even really for inking. It's for stage control. It helps you push into an advantage situation where your opponents are forced to retreat lest they take continuous damage - despite not being a good weapon to splat with it debilitates players that are in range, making them easier to kill with a regular weapon as a result.

In a game where most specials are built to assist in a team push rather than solo carrying like a lot of Splatoon 1's specials were, the Ink Storm makes sense.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
The Ink Storm isn't meant for killing, nor is it even really for inking. It's for stage control. It helps you push into an advantage situation where your opponents are forced to retreat lest they take continuous damage - despite not being a good weapon to splat with it debilitates players that are in range, making them easier to kill with a regular weapon as a result.

In a game where most specials are built to assist in a team push rather than solo carrying like a lot of Splatoon 1's specials were, the Ink Storm makes sense.
Especially in Splatzones , being in a situation with The rain and and enemies near by. It's not fun. Anyone who has played Salmon run at the Higher difficulties will know all about how powerful the Inkstorm can be.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Like Geistbox said so well, it's for area denial. Enemies can't hang around in the affected area because they will die eventually, and while it's easy to clean up the incredibly small patches it leaves behind can still inflict contact damage, something I've had to deal with in Salmon Run plenty of times.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
The zoning and pressure potential of Ink Storm is where it is really useful. Even if it wouldn't kill, people are going to avoid the places it's covering because the damage from being inside the storm is enough to shave off a hit to kill for most weapons. This makes it very good at forcing people to move where you want them to, which is arguably the better thing it does for setting up kills. It's also really good in Splatzones because of this, it's a great way to get people off the zone. It's also one of the specials that lets you act freely while it's out, which is something worth mentioning. Even something like Ink Jet or Tenta Missiles keeps you from tossing out bombs while they're out, so the ability to quickly toss it and not lose any of your abilities is nice.

Skit

Inkling
NNID
Skitwuzhere
Switch Friend Code
SW-5641-2147-7809
I like it with the splattershot pro because it weakens all the enemies around resulting in 2 shot kills. It's also awesome in tower control when the tower is on a straight path, killing and weakening any enemy who tries to get on in the hailstorm of your team's fire and rain.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
It's not a killing special (although it can kill if you linger in it), but it's great for area control. The enemy really doesn't want to be under the cloud because not only are they taking constant damage that makes them easier to kill, but the ground is partially covered by your ink which makes it hard to move around. It forces them to briefly concede that area and creates space for a push.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Another advantage is its consistency. Every other special can be a little random based on uncontrollable factors (mostly enemy movement). Ink Storm does exactly what you want it to do every time.

It's also quick. Activate, throw, boom. Except for Ink Armor, every other special requires you to spend its duration using it and doing nothing else. This also means you can throw it and then keep attacking enemies in it. This lets E-Liters can kill with a partial charge again, and Carbons get rollover kills, by stacking with the Storm's damage.

I love when my allies use it, too. Slows enemies down as they get stuck in it or have to stop and re-ink, and helps me kill with one shot less (a big deal when I use a Slosher or Rapid Blaster).

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
Ink Storm is my favorite special in Splat Zones, it helps a lot to make oponentes leave the area and start an offensive push

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I find ink storm incredibly useful. Especially in turf war and splatzones/rainmaker. It's really a good support, much like ink armor it gives you an extra edge to take care of the opponent or move a campy player, as well as gain map control.
I've seen people sit in the same spot during one only to be splatted by it haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom