• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkbrush Nouveau: Analysis and Thoughts

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
FOR EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT NONE OF THE BRUSHES HAVING BOMBS...

The Octobrush Nouveau will come with Splat Bombs. Have patience, squidkids.
Yeah but the reason we want bombs on the Inkbrush is because it has like no range. Octobrush has a pretty fine amount of range.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Ink Brush looks and feels better than octobrush anyway(imo). Ringing back to what sheldon initially said about the Ink brush and how its not a fighter, Im pretty positive Nintendo absolutely did not intend for this thing to kill as much as everyone wants it to. its not supposed to have range or else they would have given us a range option on the nouveau or patched the game to buff the brush so for all the people complaining about it im 99.9% sure it wont net you mad kills/ get you top on your squad/ carry the team in the conventional way; It can carry the team though especially in turf war and splat zones in a different way i.e. keeping your squad alive.

EDIT: It can definitely get you mad kills and top of your squad though if youre nice enough with it.

noft

Inkling
NNID
noft117
Ink Brush Nouveau
View attachment 1108

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
-WIP-

Cost:
-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Roller

Stats:
Range: Low
Painting Speed: Max
Handling: Max

Sub:
View attachment 1107 Ink Mine

Special:
View attachment 1106 Bubbler

General Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Note: Won't be accepting general strategies until a week after this weapon's launch.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Ink Brush Nouveau.
Im and Inkbrush main.

IMO:
The Bubbler on the ink brush is pretty good. What i tend to do, usually with inkbrush i get speed stats, ink resistance shoes running speed helmet and swim speed shirt, during a fight i will actually zigzag through the enemy line in a team fight, it distracts the enemies from ur team becuz of the constant pressure u have when behind them or right beside them wagging ur brush around like Yoshis Backair, i will build the bubbler up before hand to make sure i have an escape if i need it. Ink mines are ok, but putting a ranged item on the ink brush such as the sprinkler kind of rewards u for playing like a turtle when in reality u need to be using ur speed to flank and tanking people out from behind while right after pulling for that escape when needed. Forget bubbling for someone else, save your own butt if u r the one in the enemies faces, ink mines ill place down if im not engaging, or ill place it before i do. its a good option for distraction in case u r cornered, use that jank as a smoke bomb and a way of speaking, i tend to be holding the attack button down to run paint more then i swim around enemy paint anyways leaving a
mine on an eacape actuallu works.

The weapon has a higher difficulty usage which is why its so unused, but if u take the time to learn the manners and mind set, u will dominate. i got to level 20 with the inkbrush and just recently got to b - rank with it as well, its speed is so crazy , i think its more of the type of weapon for those people who liked to stay in hitboxes in melee. Just use your surroundings to your advantage. Yesterday i was thinking about how bad the stage was for the ink brush, but then something hit my head and was like wake up! you are just bad for the stage, thats when i switched up my strategy and started dominating the stage right after using any type of terrain to build momentum over people.

Last edited:

lRasha

Inkling
Honestly, I love this weapon and it's my favorite one so far.

I love the ink mines. I've used them on spots where opponents might camp out and shoot. Also, when an enemy is close to me and shooting towards me, I'll have one in front of me and wait for them to get closer as they shoot so they can get hit by the mine. It makes me think of baiting. I try to not go too far away from the opponent and the mine as they shoot me; otherwise, they might come to me faster than I want them too. If that happens, they might pass the ink mine too fast and not come in contact with the explosion. Also, it's satisfying when I get killed and my ink mine kills my opponent afterwards. It's like "Reveeeeeeeeeenge!!!" Lol

I love having a Bubbler also. Most of the time I try to get that prepared before I'm too close to any opponents. I've also used Bubbler when an opponent uses Kraken. Lol. Also, of course, knowing that other players can have Bubbler if they're close enough towards me is great.

Another thing I like to do is have my Bubbler ready and just Inkbrush Roll (not swim, but the actually roll of the weapon) into the opponents' territory while passing opponents. Since Inkbrush Roll is fast, opponents can have a hard time shooting me down. I also have the hope that if a teammate has gotten splatted then they can jump to me. It's a fun idea, but it's risky...

1. I'll run out of ink at some point and will have to stop and refill. An opponent might be in front of me or an opponent that's been chasing me might catch up and shoot me (and the ladder has happened). If I don't have a Bubbler ready or already used it, I'm putting myself in an unsafe situation.

2. It might be risky for a player to jump to me if I go into an enemy's territory without inking it enough; otherwise, opponents might be lurking near me. If a teammate jumps to me, they could probably run the risky of being splatted really soon.

I'll see how I feel about the idea after more results from it. Other than that, I've had favorable outcomes with this weapon in general.

Last edited:

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
This is amazing in the new Rainmaker mode. The entire enemy team is usually grouped up at one position, so going around the flank can wipe out all resistance at a choke point. I find myself getting triple kills when the enemy team is distracted with my teammates or popping the Rainmaker's shield. Plus, since no one is defending their spawn, I've won games in record time by sneaking past the enemy while they're in the stalemate with the rest of my team, and making a straight line for my team to follow. The rolling aspect is now useful, since most people will give up on you after you go far enough away from the objective, and you can bubble to kill anyone that follows.

As for the sub, the ink mines are semi - decent; they don't burn up nearly as much ink as a sprinkler and persist after death. I've wiped out half the enemy team at times by laying one around a corner at a choke point. However, I don't feel they have good synergy with the bubbler. There are a few things you can do, but it just doesn't work as well as the sprinkler's defense while firing an inkstrike. It is good, however, to roll into enemy territory until you're out of ink, then use the bubbler, and lay down an ink mine to kill anyone who tries to knock you away. I would prefer burst bombs on this, however. Being able to cancel the lag when trying to go back into squid mode is huge considering how long of a delay it is.

The bubbler is the best thing about it. It makes the rolling useful, since you can pop the bubble to replenish all your ink for a firefight. I've charged a flank and wiped out a whole team using this. Its also good for rushing down the Rainmaker, since most of his allies want to be at a safe distance where they can knock you away. If you do get knocked into a corner, then you're still dead unless your team uses the distraction to push up and save you, but that coordination only happens in squads.

The normal Inkbrush is still better for Turf War and Splat Zone, so this is more of a niche weapon. Still, its a good variation, until they come out with one that has :burstbomb: and :echolocator:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
This is amazing in the new Rainmaker mode. The entire enemy team is usually grouped up at one position, so going around the flank can wipe out all resistance at a choke point. I find myself getting triple kills when the enemy team is distracted with my teammates or popping the Rainmaker's shield. Plus, since no one is defending their spawn, I've won games in record time by sneaking past the enemy while they're in the stalemate with the rest of my team, and making a straight line for my team to follow. The rolling aspect is now useful, since most people will give up on you after you go far enough away from the objective, and you can bubble to kill anyone that follows.

As for the sub, the ink mines are semi - decent; they don't burn up nearly as much ink as a sprinkler and persist after death. I've wiped out half the enemy team at times by laying one around a corner at a choke point. However, I don't feel they have good synergy with the bubbler. There are a few things you can do, but it just doesn't work as well as the sprinkler's defense while firing an inkstrike. It is good, however, to roll into enemy territory until you're out of ink, then use the bubbler, and lay down an ink mine to kill anyone who tries to knock you away. I would prefer burst bombs on this, however. Being able to cancel the lag when trying to go back into squid mode is huge considering how long of a delay it is.

The bubbler is the best thing about it. It makes the rolling useful, since you can pop the bubble to replenish all your ink for a firefight. I've charged a flank and wiped out a whole team using this. Its also good for rushing down the Rainmaker, since most of his allies want to be at a safe distance where they can knock you away. If you do get knocked into a corner, then you're still dead unless your team uses the distraction to push up and save you, but that coordination only happens in squads.

The normal Inkbrush is still better for Turf War and Splat Zone, so this is more of a niche weapon. Still, its a good variation, until they come out with one that has :burstbomb: and :echolocator:
Well the Octobrush Nouveau will have Splat Bombs and Inkzooka, so...good enough?

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
Well the Octobrush Nouveau will have Splat Bombs and Inkzooka, so...good enough?

I prefer the Inkbrush, but the Octobrush needed a solution to lag and kill confirms a lot more. As long as one Inkbrush has something to deal with being outranged / has support for the front lines (Be it :suctionbomb: :splatbomb: :splashwall: or :seeker: ) in addition to having :echolocator:, that would be an amazing weapon. I say splash wall just because its great to throw at a choke point so your team can use it for support, plus Echolocator is the only other special your team always benefits from and can be used from anywhere, like the inkstrike

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Can you imagine an Inkbrush with Splash Wall and Bubbler *o*

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
Can you imagine an Inkbrush with Splash Wall and Bubbler *o*
I'd rather an Octobrush have that, since that's better for offense, and there's already one bubbler Inkbrush. Since the Octobrush has better range and kill power, that'd be even more devastating. any range helps with those two weapons, and the Inkbrush doesn't have that stats to make use of it.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I prefer the Inkbrush, but the Octobrush needed a solution to lag and kill confirms a lot more. As long as one Inkbrush has something to deal with being outranged / has support for the front lines (Be it :suctionbomb: :splatbomb: :splashwall: or :seeker: ) in addition to having :echolocator:, that would be an amazing weapon. I say splash wall just because its great to throw at a choke point so your team can use it for support, plus Echolocator is the only other special your team always benefits from and can be used from anywhere, like the inkstrike
I'm guessing Inkzooka doesn't do much for you then?

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
I'm guessing Inkzooka doesn't do much for you then?
Its good, and I've gotten some great moments when the enemy is grouped up, but its not really a team weapon. It works best when you're sacrificing your team to the enemy so you can line up a shot. Good for an Octobrush, but I'd rather the Inkbrush stay support more than solo moments of glory.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My feedback on Inkbrush Noveau usage for today: Played a few Turf War matches with the Noveau, using gear that ended giving me lots of Special Duration Up and Special Charge Up (Miiverse Screencap of gear before skill grinding). Maps in rotation were Moray Towers and Kelp Dome

Having transitioned from the basic Inkbrush set to Noveau, I felt the loss of Sprinklers and Inkstrike for a bit. However, Ink Mines have other kinds of useful utility and Bubbler is always awesome as a Team Support skill.

While you lose the ability to be a monster turf-taker with the power of Sprinklers and Inkstrike spam, Ink Mines are a powerful defensive/denial/ambush tool that sticks around. Just drop-and-go, and you've left a nasty surprise. In Moray Towers, I quickly fell in love with Ink Mines for preventing backstabs while pushing directly up lanes on the opponent's side of the map. Took out a Carbon Roller that tried dropping behind me with an Ink Mine, and got some revenge splats on Aerospray and Splatling users when I got taken out while retreating after my Bubbler ran out. The tricky part is that Ink Mines are best used in chokes and corners, which certain maps, like Kelp Dome, have too few of. (Naturally the flaw in mazelike maps like Walleye and Mackerel is that you have too many places where they'd be effective, so sometimes you happen to mine the one corner that Carbon Roller rival doesn't go past!)

Bubbler is a nifty team support ability that has some benefits over Inkstrike. While it doesn't flush out snipers or deny turf to enemies, Bubbler's damage immunity is amazing both defensively and offensively. Need to force your way through enemy fire? Bubbler! Need to retreat after stealing turf and leaving a Mine? Bubbler! That confounded Aerospray guy muscling up the wall in Bluefin? Bubbler and swat him/force him to retreat! From my aggressive usage of it in Moray, it can really help you ram a spearhead into enemy turf, because your now-damage-proof teammates can follow you and provide support fire as you push into hostile land. You might even save a teammate who is about to fire off THEIR Inkstrike...

Amusingly my aggression level was high enough that in one of the Kelp Dome rounds I actually assassinated three players right before they could launch their Inkstrikes while stealing turf near them and seeing them pop out their missiles :D That bout ended with my splat-to-splatted ratio at 4-4.

Admittedly my aggression level is focused towards Turf taking rather than confronting/ambushin opponents in PVP, as I finished several rounds with a negative Splat-to-Splatted ratio (0-2, 1-3, 2-5), but our team won some of them anyway. Sometimes taking hits for the heavy hitter helps.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
In regards to the Nouveau: I always liked bubbler but I feel like ink mines really kill the load out here for me. Ink mines in general, as they are, are quite horrible as a sub and alot of the time i feel like the nouveau would benefit from any other sub than the mines. After a while I dropped the Nouveau in favor of the vanilla ink brush considering it is IMO better at supporting your team since it gives you constant access to ink strikes and the sprinkler can be thrown unlike mines. This load out allows me to be a huge supporter while also allows me to stay away from confrontation until the field is covered in our ink, THEN I can push in and do the roller thing by surprise killing the enemy.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I suppose the normal sprinkler is more of an "active" supporter in the sense that it can play objectives more consistently on offence or defence, while the nouveau relies on more subtle forms of support (infiltrating, pathmaking, flanking etc.) until it gets the bubbler that lets the team make a strong push.

For the record I find that inkstrikes really irk me when I use the inkbrush because using it forces you to find a cozy spot away from the action, killing your momentum.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
In regards to the Nouveau: I always liked bubbler but I feel like ink mines really kill the load out here for me. Ink mines in general, as they are, are quite horrible as a sub and alot of the time i feel like the nouveau would benefit from any other sub than the mines. After a while I dropped the Nouveau in favor of the vanilla ink brush considering it is IMO better at supporting your team since it gives you constant access to ink strikes and the sprinkler can be thrown unlike mines. This load out allows me to be a huge supporter while also allows me to stay away from confrontation until the field is covered in our ink, THEN I can push in and do the roller thing by surprise killing the enemy.
Inkmines are very valuable on some maps, especially the ones with chokepoints. They're also probably the single best sub in Tower Control, maybe rivaled by Squid Beakons, but Inkmines are a guaranteed splat if the enemy gets on the Tower. Not to mention Bubbler is great for both support and solo fare on the tower as well, which means this may be the best setup for riding the Tower in general (now, if one is going for more kills, I'd recommend using this set with the normal Rapid Blaster, but to each one's own playstyle).

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Not really my best play (especially that first match, yikes), but I got a capture card yesterday so I decided to try recording some Inkbrush Nouveau in ranked:

Now, ideally you should try to be providing bubbler more than I did.. it's a little harder to do so in tower control mode because deaths are more frequent, and I need to have more quick respawn/super jump on my gear and not any special saver/charge/duration

but yeah, just in case anyone wanted some more nouveau footage; I know it can be kind of rare to see people use it in ranked..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom