• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkbrush: Yay or Nay?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I do still want to see an Inkbrush variant with more outright killing power
My bet is that's what the upcoming Carbon Roller will be - a speedy carbon fibre roller that's not as fast as the Inkbrush, but packs more of a punch.

Woomyman

Inkling
Turf War perspective it seems to be a top tier in painting however while it's more important to paint than to kill killing is the essential skill which is where we have a problem. Looking only on the main weapon it seems like the worst. The range is low the damage is low the rate of fire is decent but doesn't make up. An Aerospray outmatches it in every possible way. Now the Permanent Inkbrush is pretty decent since it has a sub to make up for the range and dealing with shooters alongside the Kraken which is probably the best special for this set but the other 2 won't get away so easily. The Nouveau doesn't have support for long range with the Ink Mine. The Ink Mine is good against foes who rush but when facing a brush rushing is the last thing they'll do but the original set has an even worse sub since at least the Ink Mine can help with people who try to ambush the player and same can't be said about the Sprinkler. The Sprinkler has 3 uses - Getting the special faster covering turf and a distraction for ambushes. Before looking on the special the Only use it has is the third which isn't very likely to happen so a weapon that can't fight well needs a sub for fighting and not the Sprinkler. The Specials will be unlocked pretty fast since the brushes can cover turf with great speed. The Nouveau got a good special - The Bubbler. This special in my opinion is the second best special it could get since a brush is often a target for the other team. However the original got a bad match once again with the Inkstrike. The Inkstrike is meant for covering turf which the weapon already knows how to do. The best thing the player can do is to scare away an opponent towards him or hope the attack will kill which as mentioned with the Sprinkler isn't very likely to happen. Eventually the weapon class itself is bad with the exception of Sheldon's pick which came out a long time after the original 2. One good thing I can say about the Nouveau is that for Tower Control it seems like a great weapon though for any other mode I would not recommend it. For the original since Turf War doesn't have the ranked system going the mode meant to be fun for all and it has all tools for covering turf I'd say it's kind of fun but on maps with liniar or open disign like Walleye Warehouse and Museum d'Alfonsino it's far from good if you want to have fun with the game. Looking on the original Inkbrush it's without doubt a Nay for me but on the entire class the Permanent showed that a good one can exist so for the class it's a Yay since many other classes can stragle with the main weapon but sub & special might make up for it and Sheldon's pick here is the supreme example.

BTW I'm not against the Sprinkler or Inkstrike. My first main weapon was the legal version of the Zapper. :)

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
One of the people on my squad (Booyah Brigade) started to use the inkbrush in S2 in protest because he thought the Octobrush was overbuffed.

He's gotten reeeeeally good with it, with usually 15+ kills every match.

It's still kinda a case of 'why use the inkbrush when you can use the octobrush?'.

Apparently the trick is good maneuvering, getting in close to your opponent, whether that be by rolling or swimming, because not many weapons can contest an inkbrush at close range.

Flank a lot as well, because attacking someone from behind with this weapon is practically a guaranteed splat.

Also learn to flick at the maximum speed (it's probably faster than you think).

I hope that all made sense; if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I mained the Vanilla Inkbrush in the last game, and IMO it was the best the Inkbrush ever was. Inkbrush was never a combat-oriented weapon (if you wanted to kill people with a brush, Octobrush outclassed Inkbrush in every manner known to man). Inkbrush's biggest strength was its turfing abilities. You could carry games by simply maintaining turf everywhere and giving your team space to move (seriously, sometimes in S+ people would still jump right into enemy ink). Its sprinkler allowed it to maintain paint in one place as it went around painting the rest of the map, and its Inkstrike was perfect -- because it was rarely in the action, Inkbrush really appreciated being able to affect it from wherever it was painting on the map. That kit truly played the Inkbrush to its painting strengths, and when played right you could control the entire map, giving your team easy pushes and the enemy team a terrible uphill battle.

The problem with Inkbrush in Splatoon 2, now, is that they tried too hard to make it a combat weapon instead of a more paint-oriented weapon. Now it's got Splat Bombs, there's no multitasking when it comes to painting. Splashdown, I would even argue, is counterproductive to what the brush wants to do, because you have to give up time in keeping map control to jump directly into the fray -- the last place you want to be as an Inkbrush. Whatever kit they try to give it for combat purposes, it's never going to be an Octobrush, anyway. If you wanna play a brush right now, play the Octobrush until Inkbrush gets itself a better kit.

As the self-declared totally biggest Inkbrush fan ever, I'm with great sorrow giving it a "Nay" for Splatoon 2. I'm gonna be playing Brella instead for now.

edit: SHOOT, I really thought this was the Splatoon 2 forums. In Splatoon 1, I give the Inkbrush a big "Yay"!

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Oh actually I thought it was the S2 forums as well!

In S1, just use the PermaBrush and lots of sub saver, as well as 2-3 damage up, so you have an edge in ranged combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom