Inklings in smash: speculations and wishes

Do you want more Splatoon 1 or Splatoon 2 content in smash 5?

• Splatoon 1

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Splatoon 2

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Hi. I'm new. Not to looking at the forums, but for posting on them.

Anyway, now that it's out that inklings going to be in the next smash bros. title for the switch, the question is no longer "will inklings be in smash 5?" It is "what will they be like?"

The trailer shows the two inklings that were the face of the original game: the orange-haired girl and the blue-haired boy inklings. This probably means we will be getting a lot more content from the original game than from the second one, which, to be honest, I don't mind too much except for a few points I'll mention in the "wishes" section. Both inklings are using splattershots, which means it's possible there will only be one actual character, just with reskins, (like villager) to represent splatoon :(. The inkling girl throws a splat bomb in one scene, which will likely be a special move, (I can't imagine it being a smash attack, anyway). After that, inkling boy swims away, the girl chases him, their surroundings darken, and you know the rest.

That's it for the trailer-based speculation. It was short, there wasn't much to go by. Now for the completely speculative stuff. I do think we will only see one actual playable character with different gender skins, so I'll predict the moveset. Expanding from the splat bomb, it will probably be the side special attack, as up special will probably be a super jump as many fans have speculated, and I agree with. The normal special attack will be splattershot fire. I don't think it will make foes flinch, like fox's blaster, and it will have a limited range, but it will damage much faster than fox's blaster and auto-fire to compensate for that (Now I'm imagining fox holding a splatoon blaster.), and you'll be able to move slowly while firing by pressing special and then moving the joystick. As for the down special, I'm not entirely sure. I'd be lazy and predict a counter move, but I don't actually think that's going to be the case. I'm just going to wait on this one, but if you have a nice idea, I'd love to hear it in the comments!

As for the special, it could be any one of the special weapons, but after thinking about it for a long time, I realized that none of the splatoon 1 specials would really fit the standard, over-the-top feel of final smashes. Many of them are just powerful without being too flashy. I honestly think Nintendo will choose one of the cooler-looking specials from splatoon 2 for the inklings. The one I had in mind was the one that actually goes with the standard splattershot, which is splashdown, or the one for the TTek, inkjet.

Other stuff: I have no idea what the smash attacks will be like, but for the ink mechanic I think that crouch is going to be squid form, crawl is slow movement across the floor but quicker through ink, and you will automatically turn into a squid while dashing over inked sections. That being said, this would make all taunts obsolete to tapping down over and over. I would know. I'm a kirby main (suprise) and it's already satisfying doing it with him. Plus taunting that way lets me keep my copy ability, but that's getting off topic.

As with all new franchises, the inklings will likely bring along some fresh new places to smash! If they are going to focus on splatoon 1 stuff, Urchin Underpass will probably be the first stage in, as it was the stage that was on the cover of the game. Since smash is 2d, they'll have to take a cross-section, but I won't go into THAT much detail for this. Other stages that I think have a chance are Inkopolis Plaza, Moray Towers, (It wouldn't be as bad as a smash stage. Probably.) and Arrowana Mall, but again, this is completely speculative and for maps in particular, I have very little to go by. I also heard a probable theory that there could be a touring-type stage getting a little bit of everywhere as time goes by, like the Delfino Island stage currently in smash (Then again that would probably be more useful for a Hyrule stage, seeing as BotW is so freakin' enormous).

Another thing a new franchise brings is the real stuff that destroys friendships: items. Completely unfair and broken items that will always spawn closer to other people. I can't really speculate what kind of items there will be, so I'm just going to start the wishlist here.

Wishlist
Note that this will contain all the splatoon 2 stuff I want it to. It's a wishlist.

Items:
- Inkzooka (If it's not the final smash for inkling already)
- Inkstrike (once you pick it up, movement is replaced by aiming. Press smash attack to launch)
- Undercover Brella
- Inkstorm
- Seeker (travels along the floor and explodes on contact)
- Assist Trophy: Flyfish. You know you want it.
- Assist Trophy: Sheldon. The new Resetti.
I'll probably think of more.

I want two Inklings. The boy and the girl. The girl should have dualies, and the boy gets a roller, just like on the cover of splatoon 2.

Inkling girl moveset:
Neutral: Dualie Fire (just like the splattershot fire I speculated, also, I want to add to this and that)
Side: Burst Bomb (but you can change the trajectory slightly by moving the stick)
Up: Squid Jump (charging up gets you higher, like Diddy Kong's jetpack, but more height with no damage)
Down: Dodge Roll Counter (this is the main reason I said I mostly don't mind only splatoon 1 stuff. Dodge rolls are just such an obvious move on the dualies that splattershots wouldn't have.)
Smash: Tenta Missiles
After firing a barrage of tenta missiles into the sky, they would come back towards the screen (not from the top down, where you could hide from them, TOWARDS the screen). Landing spots would be at random coordinates and highlighted by their signature marker a few moments before landing. This may seem easily dodgable, but the missiles would fire off fast, and only start hitting the screen once you were done, so after activation, they'll have to deal with the missiles AND you, just like in the game.

Inkling boy moveset:
Neutral: Roller Fling (do it in the air for a horizontal fling!)
Side: Roller Roll (sonic/yoshi/jigglypuff-esque rollout move. Much faster than the speed a roller normally moves)
Up: Squid Jump (again)
Down: Curling Bomb (throw a curling bomb across the floor. Hold to prime the fuse)
Smash: Splashdown
Swing your folded up roller like a sword, lauching foes into the air and guaranteeing they will be hit by the splashdown, which you then execute. Lots of kb.

Let me make it clear that whatever happens, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE INKLINGS SWITCHING MAIN WEAPONS MID-BATTLE! I don't even want multiple sub weapons! I have seen people suggest this and I am NOT on board! I will not be pleased if the inklings use multiple weapons to battle in smash.

Stages:
- Moray Towers (yes I want this one)
- Starfish Mainstage (cover of splatoon 2, also the part right before the actual stage would make a great cross section for battle.)
- some salmon run stage (probably spawning grounds. Fighters would have to deal with salmonids periodically and if you fell in the water maws would EAT YOU.)
- Inkoplis Square (It just has more stuff in it than inkopolis plaza. It would be a more interesting stage)

More Stuff:
Octolings should be a reskin option of both sets, or even their own fighter, anything for more splatoon reps! (hate to say it but they might even be DLC in the scenario that they are their own fighter. If they aren't reskins or available at launch, Imma be lookin' for that DLC.)

Hero suits should also be reskins, with hero dualies and roller to go with.

Just in case the speculation was TL;DR, I wanted to get my speculation on the squid and ink mechanic out there because it's basically how I want it to be. I think that crouch is going to be squid form (and tapping down repeatedly will be the ultimate taunt), crawl is slow movement across the floor but quicker through ink, and you will automatically turn into a squid while dashing over inked sections.

I'm ecstatic at the thought that there could be a new campaign mode, and that if there is, the inklings are going to be in it!

Well, that's about everything. Have any interesting speculations on the new smash? Let me know in the comments!

BTW I know I'm a new member, but I truly am a fan of this game, and I did not just appear out of the blue as a smash fan who wanted to gain some insight from the splatoon community. I mean, how could I have put all that stuff in my wishlist if I wasn't? Anyway, have a nice day and celebrate because smash bros. is coming to the switch and inklings are in it.

the

Inkling Commander
It’s almost definitely gonna be one character using all the different weapons.

That said, I just want the f-aerial move to be a vertical roller swing that spikes on the downswing.

It would be cool if the inkling’s moves were powerful, but could run out of ink, so you would have to recharge using down-special or something (like cloud’s limit charge)

Also a salmon run stage with rising and lowering tides would be interesting

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
As long as the taunt is a second of squidbagging and not just some silly pose where they try to look "fresh."

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
but for the ink mechanic I think that crouch is going to be squid form, crawl is slow movement across the floor but quicker through ink, and you will automatically turn into a squid while dashing over inked sections. That being said, this would make all taunts obsolete to tapping down over and over. I would know. I'm a kirby main (suprise) and it's already satisfying doing it with him. Plus taunting that way lets me keep my copy ability, but that's getting off topic.
I disagree with this completely. If more than one player was an inkling, there would be a turf war and it would be a mess with all the different colors.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Dark-skinned alts, at least one, but two would be great. The Inkling girl from Splatoon 2's box art would be a good fit. There is a tremendous lack of dark-skinned characters in Nintendo games, and Smash is naturally no exception. Since there is little hope for Xenoblade X's Elma joining (they will probably add some ugly Xenoblade 2 character to the roster instead), a brown Inkling would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom