Inkstrikes

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
ChapterSerf
Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of people don't use them correctly?

It's like, "I have an inkstrike! Lemme nuke the far end of the map right in front of their base!"

Yeah, that's great. Except you can't defend that turf, you don't kill anyone, and the first person to die on the enemy team just cleans up your inkstrike and walks away with a good portion of their special filled. That really only works, in my opinion, in the close seconds of the match.

I have died to more inkstrikes in the single player than I have in multiplayer.

Any thoughts?

lazycake

Inkling
not necessarily incorrect. it could be used as a distraction to buy the team more time to invade the enemy's base while they're cleaning the inkstrike or used to kill those that just respawned. however it would also be a smart move if used at the enemy's base in the last 5-10 seconds of the match

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
I've heard some notable players bring this up too. Inkstrike still needs to be "used correctly" just like everything else in the game and not spammed mindlessly, otherwise you've just wasted a valuable special and/or you'll get punished for it. As a Jr. player, I absolutely love when Inkstrikes are placed close to my spawn (and any time opponents try to ink that area as a matter of fact). Free Bubblers for everyone! ...except the guy who inked up my base, you don't get any. ;)

But yeah, in terms of how to use it correctly, launch it at the very end of a Turf Wars game like you said, or as a supplement to your team pushing toward a Splat Zone (again, they can just ink it back up safely if no one on your team is there to pressure them). Even using it to pick off snipers isn't always reliable due to how telegraphed it is. It might force them to leave their perch, but an attentive player will find a way to dodge it without putting themselves in harm's way. For instance, a sniper on the flanks of Saltspray Rig may choose to fall back off to the sides of the map instead of down into the Splat Zone area, where they'd get wrecked by close-range weapons.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
I made a post about optimal inkstrikes on all the stages.

not necessarily incorrect. it could be used as a distraction to buy the team more time to invade the enemy's base while they're cleaning the inkstrike or used to kill those that just respawned. however it would also be a smart move if used at the enemy's base in the last 5-10 seconds of the match
This can be used as a distraction, yes, however not right on top or in front of the base. An idea location would be right before entering the middle, on their side. It would provide a much bigger distraction and it lets your squad push more forward.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
If you're talking about turf wars it's irrelevant. They're used for points. If you're talking about Splat Zones they're used to break opponents control or target where a charger/etc is camping and flush them out.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
I mostly drop them to either hit a crowd turtling, or hit an area that isn't really being noticed. It's a giant column of ink, so it does draw attention, and when dropped somewhere behind their front lines, it causes the enemy team to turn around, and hopefully my team has the awareness to take advantage of that.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
If you inkstrike by their base, it will give your team more time to get closer to the center or farther. Really, the same thing that you said in the first post, can be said if you inkstrike anywhere else, they'll just clean it up anyway, like any other ink. There really isn't a "bad" or "good" place to put it.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Well, there is a "good" place to drop it, and that's on their entire team if they cluster up into one spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom