• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Is Goo-Tuber Viable?

Fumbles

Inkling
NNID
Fumbles
Switch Friend Code
SW-6802-0717-8304
I've heard a lot of flak about this weapon in the past, but with it's recent buffs, it has grabbed my interest. Seems like a lot of people have ignored these changes and still aren't using it.

With only needing 70 percent charge to kill, it's only downside is it's range. Is that really a big enough detriment to make it unusable, or have people's opinions changed?

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Shouldn't this be in the Splatoon 2 forums? Back on topic, the reason people tend to have unfavorable opinions on Goo-Tuber because its main gimmick is very lack-luster (being able to hold its charge for long in exchange for range and charge time) and it still has trouble confirming kills since its very bad at inking turf which is bad combo since it relies on swimming in their own ink. Having less range than almost every other charger doesn't help either and even E-Liter has better kill potential than Goo now since it got its charge time reduced.

It's much better than before but the problems it possesses are still there and most of the "low tier" weapons like it are high-risk no reward. People would rather use simpler weapons (Ex. Splattershot) that are likely to garner better results vs. using a weapon with a higher learning curve and still getting below average results.

Last edited:

Fumbles

Inkling
NNID
Fumbles
Switch Friend Code
SW-6802-0717-8304
Ah I'm sorry, I meant to post on Splatoon 2! Either way thanks for giving your input. I'm going to move this post to the other forum now :)

Fumbles

Inkling
NNID
Fumbles
Switch Friend Code
SW-6802-0717-8304
Can't seem to find a way to delete the post from here. Apologies! If you play Splatoon 2 and would like to give your input anyways, feel free.

pickpickles

Inkling
NNID
pickpickles
Switch Friend Code
SW-7572-0456-1029
It's a fairly situational weapon, but I think it has it's use. The normal version of the weapon is pretty good at Splat Zones and Tower Control, but the Custom variant is good at Rainmaker and Clam Blitz. Getting those cool midair shots is the reason I play it. I dislike every other charger though.

Edit: grammar

One FM

Inkster Jr.
You can do the most amazing shots in the game with the Goo Tuber IMO. I think many people look at it with the mentality of a sniper, and it’s more than that.The charge time may be a hold back but it’s just a matter of working the mechanic. It can have a strong aggressive role in the overall game. With that said, it could also very well be the most difficult weapon to master. I main it and have made it to X rank. It’s my weapon of choice. I sometimes run into other Goo Tuber users and I can immediately tell they don’t use it at it’s full potential. Most users are snipers who want to just try it out.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Personally I do find the goo tuber to be a goo-d weapon

It is personally one of my favorite charger in terms of mobility, kill power, and understanding matchups

However the main problem with it is the same problem the squiffer had in splatoon 1

It is a weapon with a high skill ceiling it is hard to learn and has the potential to be harder
it take time to learn when to charge save, when to partial save, when to use a tap shot, and so on

Players in splatoon prefer a weapon that is easy to learn hard to master like the nzaps, splattershot pro

So simply good is a fairly good weapon in the hand of someone who knows how to use it, and has potential to be a mid to high tier weapon but it's difficulty to master makes people view it as a non meta choice

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Personally I do find the goo tuber to be a goo-d weapon

It is personally one of my favorite charger in terms of mobility, kill power, and understanding matchups

However the main problem with it is the same problem the squiffer had in splatoon 1

It is a weapon with a high skill ceiling it is hard to learn and has the potential to be harder
it take time to learn when to charge save, when to partial save, when to use a tap shot, and so on

Players in splatoon prefer a weapon that is easy to learn hard to master like the nzaps, splattershot pro

So simply good is a fairly good weapon in the hand of someone who knows how to use it, and has potential to be a mid to high tier weapon but it's difficulty to master makes people view it as a non meta choice
That's not why it isn't high tier. Although mostly true, this isn't why people don't play goo at a competitive level. The reason is it gets outclassed by other meta weapons as a backliner and as a midliner if you wish to justify goo fulfilling that role. Other backlines actually have decent range whereas goo doesn't. Charger also has the almighty stingray and splat bomb. There are just plain better options. Also for midline, other mids have lethal bombs you can throw unlike curlings. They also paint better and don't have charge times for their weapons (zap, h3d, cds, rapid, etc).

Essentially, while goo can be played at a decently high level, there are other reasons it isn't meta

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom