• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

King of The Valley Results + Feedback

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
King of The Valley Results
http://challonge.com/KingOfTheValley

Champion: KUSA HUKAHI
2nd: ASS1
3rd: Name Subject To Change
4th place: CoolDown

5th place tie:
Koopa Clan 1
Alias
SpeedRunsLive (SRL)
Crème Fresh
9th place tie:
Cyberbullies
Team Shoal
New Order
2nd Tentacle Difficulties
Ink Incorporated
Ж»Squidcepticons
SquidKids
Dynamite Splatoon

First off thanks everyone for participating, and taking part in viewing the Tournament. I'd like to formally apologize to how rocky it was, A ton of variables happened. And there simply weren't enough hands on deck (for the first half I tried to TO-Commentate, AND manage the stream (overlays, footage etc).

However- despite this. I'd like feedback to be critical and constructive to help me improve should I host a future tournament.

Things I tested in this tourney

- A new map seeding system
- A Timer for Total Lobby time (which actually wasn't a problem!)

(I'm super aware of the issues present in the tourney, however I'd like to open the floor for you guys to present them to me, as C&C helps me improve!)

Also if you're unaware the league has been announced! (it was announced on stream by BestTeaMaker!)
http://squidboards.com/threads/presenting-leagues-under-the-ink-season-1-signups.20940/

Thank you so much to DUDE and LSDJ and Slimy for Commentating. It really really helped out.

Now for the biggest mistake of all

tfw you make a new twitch and forgot to enable past broadcasts to be archived.....

(rest in peace)
[Please Laugh.]

Last edited:

Vesetnet

Inkling
NNID
Vesetnet
man good thing i can watch the commentary on my gameplay

o

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Good tournament Cody, looking forward to the next one and actually be able to play.

P.S. Go enable archiving past broadcasts

pixelatedcody

NNID
cncody
Please don't talk to me about archived broadcasts. but I respect your opinion to snicker and poke fun at me for my oversight. ; ;

*so heartbroken.*

Kaori Manabe

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kaorimanbe
Although was not a huge problem to me, it just feels like the maps played were awkward and repetitive? No problem playing with any mode but...
Feel like I played Urchin Rainmaker so many times today and never saw a lot of maps/modes and we play lots of to game 5 match

I find, everything else is good job, and was well run for u not doing it in a while. Well made tournament.
Twitch thing is fine mistake, is silly twitch no has that set by default.

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
DUDE and LSDJ probably best commentator combo so far. I would rather have seen Paradise play but that made up for it.

From NSTC's perspective everything went smooth so we don't have much to give feedback on - my personal opinion is bo7 wasn't really necessary till finals (maybe semi finals), but that doesn't really change much - and the map seeding system is interesting but I agree with Manabe in that it didn't feel varied as normal. Anyway hope to see you do another one like this soon!

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
Overall good job especially consider it was your first tournament. Few improvements going forward:

- More map variation. For example why was Underpass RM so frequent?

- Better seeding for the elimination stage. That bracket was crazy top heavy.

- For stream make ít so that commentator audio and video are synced.

- And of course double check if you're gonna lose the progress after you finish next time lol ;D

Afrohawk

Inkling
NNID
Afrohawk
It worked out pretty well in my opinion! Having the groups only see each other made it easy to tell who was where and who they needed to talk to. Once the groups were made it also made it easier to get NNIDs before matches even started. I also agree that the commentators were very good. It had a good balance of comedy and insight to keep people entertained throughout the day.

Finally, seriously great work on resolving whatever issue that was with the Challonge. It was definitely kind of frightening but it was resolved pretty quickly and didn't take up too much time. I'm curious what happened but I'm glad it didn't cause too many problems in the end.

As for potential improvements, there's really only one thing I can think of that no one else has already said. There's gotta be a way to improve that registration process. People should have paid attention and applied to all of the big links on the page but because they didn't there were some teams who just didn't get in. Personally I think your idea was a good one but since there was some confusion there should be just one registration process if it happens again. Of course, putting it in big bold letters to apply to both could help if it wasn't there already. Either that or a reminder in #announcements on the Discord. It shouldn't have to happen but better safe than sorry.

Good stuff Pixel, looking forward to the next KotV

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Please don't talk to me about archived broadcasts. but I respect your opinion to snicker and poke fun at me for my oversight. ; ;

*so heartbroken.*
Thanks for hosting! Welp looks like I'll never know what DUDE and DJ's commentating is like XD

pixelatedcody

NNID
cncody
The way challonge handles the bracket stage is what made it so crazy, Sly figured it out so next time that issue will be fixed :v , same with the maps, I definitely didn't want that many repeats o.o

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
Frequency of modes:
RM 11, SZ/TC: 13
Frequency of maps:
Walleye Warehouse 6
Urchin Underpass 5
Kelp Dome 4
BlackBelly Skatepark 4
Bluefin Depot 4
Port Mackerel 4
Arowana Mall 3
Camp TriggerFish 3
Flounder Heights 3
Hammerhead Bridge 3
Museum d'Alfonsino 3
Piranha Pit 2
Mahi-Mahi Resort 2
Saltspray Rig 1
Moray Towers 1

Combinated Frequency:
Arowana Mall SZ 2
Arowana Mall TC 1
BlackBelly Skatepark SZ 2
Blackbelly Skatepark TC 2
Bluefin Depot RM 1
Bluefin Depot SZ 3
Camp Triggerfish RM 2
Camp Triggerfish TC 1
Flounder Heights SZ 1
Flounder Heights TC 2
Hammerhead Bridge SZ 2
Hammerhead Bridge TC 1
Kelp Dome SZ 1
Kelp Dome TC 3
Mahi-Mahi Resort TC 2
Moray Towers RM 1
Museum d'Alfonsino RM 2
Museum d'Alfonsino SZ 1
Piranha Pit RM 1
Piranha Pit TC 1
Port Mackerel RM 1
Port Mackerel SZ 2
Port Mackerel TC 1
Saltspray Rig TC 1
Urchin Underpass RM 4
Urchin Underpass TC 1
Walleye Warehouse RM 3
Walleye Warehouse SZ 2
Walleye Warehouse TC 1

I don't like this at all. It's okay that we did not have stuff like BlackBelly RM, but why Urchin RM 4 times? It felt like we played it in nearly every set. The new map seeding system needs to be polished a bit (or the randomiser). You also messed up sometimes with the spelling of the maps (like Museum d'Alfonsino and Museum D'Alfonsino) so it looks like made a few changes per hand. I'd love some more even distributed maps/mods.

Besides than that and the mess at the beginning with Challonge everything looked fine for me. I got in touch with my opponents really easy, Sly was the only one lagging (and only a bit during our matches, nothing that makes it unplayable) and everything went smoothly, except for DUDEs part in commenting sometimes, where he did not even know what this tournament is xD ("Is this SE or DE?" or "And DUDE comes back with only 1 minute left! I don't know what is happening, but..."). All in all the commentary was quite enjoyable and I like the nicknames (like aimbot for Nikey and Japanese Character Guy for the girl Manabe xD). You should do more commentary

pixelatedcody

NNID
cncody
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll rework alot of thing, and should I plan to host another KotV I'll put these into motion.

Thanks for the kind words as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom