Splatoon 2 Looking for Slosher recommendations. Bonus: Roller Questions

Islefan86

Inkling
NNID
4319-1365-541
So I'm a level 20 who just started playing competitively regularly. I used to main Roller exclusively but have found that pretty much no one uses them higher up in the rankings. I'm decent enough with a Slosher that I'm going to main that. Any ideas for best Slosher to use now that Tri-Slosher has been nerfed? Also what gear would you use along with that? If this topic has been covered a billion times I apologize.

Bonus: Does anyone main Rollers competitvely? Why/Why not?

NPDgames

Inkling
NNID
NPDgames
Tri-slosher has found its way back into the meta, one of its major nerfs got undone in a fairly recent patch, and ink armor is favored again. Sloshing machine is kind of weird, like a slosher-blaster hybrid, but is incredible if you can get past the learning curve. Normal sloshers don't see much play, they can't paint their own feet well enough, so they lose a lot of mobility.

Some base rollers get played, I'd look at Set to Destroy X's play in Genisis 5 Splatoon, which you can find on EndGameTv's YouTube channel, for some roller play and some tri-slosher. If you want to see sloshing played, keep an eye out for Nikey on Team Olive

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
People play splat roller. People play tri-slosher, people play sloshing machine, people play slosher deco. Some folks play dynamo. Tri-slosher is honesty your best bet more often than not in terms of which sloshers to play, but you can use slosher deco (really good at painting) to get baller and you can utilize the mechanics of the weapon to pressure in different ways. You can find slosher gameplay from S1 and S2 (though it's easier to find and more interesting from S1) to get a sense of how to use it. Sloshing machine is okay at killing but the appeal comes from having stingray yet still having the ability to pressure and go in with the main weapon (which is why Nikey runs special saver on his build). I don't have any experience with the normal splat roller but in terms of rollers in general I can say don't use carbon or flingza. Dynamo has a learning curve that I found fun to get good at but you'll probably be better off with the vanilla.

I used to play slosher deco and I used special power (some people don't), Ink Saver Main (Absolutely necessary, and some people use like swim speed or ink resistance or special charge or whatever. As for vanilla, idk. But main saver is important because you only have 14 sloshes on a full tank with no main saver.

Along with the slosher, you can't get into the habit of just spamming ZR. You have to be mobile and tricky so you can out-maneuver opponents that pose a bigger threat to you. If you know you can get a kill, go ahead and slosher a few times, but you have to recognize the situations where you have to get a good angle to actually be able to track you opponent and land a second slosh for the kill. Also it's more effective for painting for a getaway when you slosh directly at the ground rather than forward (this way you have more room to swim rather than a thin path).

This is a video that helped me out a lot to learn slosher even though it's got a different kit and you can use damage up to secure 2 shots from above to cancel falloff damage. Pay close attention to his positioning and movement to get kills from the clips while also listening to what he says about the weapon.

In this video I thought I did a good job of moving around to get a view of where the roller was moving so I could get a second shot at him so I took this video. Had I just stood there sloshing randomly I wouldn't have been able to see through my ink flying everywhere and I would've been super exposes for the roller to come in and smack me in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom