• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Man whenever I click on Twitter I remember why squidboards is peak

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
Something a lot of people need to utilize more when it comes to curating their Twitter experience is utilizing the option to mute specific words, blocking people, and not interacting with posts. I always see people saying how intrusive their timelines are, when the algorithm specifically is created by the posts you click on, interact with, and the people you follow. Unfortunately this does mean turning off retweets for some people or muting them altogether. I did this aggressively for a few months and my for you is purely cat pics, cute artwork, and funny posts that are usually made by the person who posted it.

I will say that Twitter is not my choice for communication, and I use it mostly to see what friends are up to and the nice things I get to see. I do hope to move off of it myself, but probably not to another Twitter-like website. There is just no point for me, especially as an artist, as interactions are fleeting and the format isn't the greatest for artwork anyways. Best for advertising that you exist (which I appreciate, since I've found a lot of nice artists and projects on it despite everything).

mossyquartz

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
Something a lot of people need to utilize more when it comes to curating their Twitter experience is utilizing the option to mute specific words, blocking people, and not interacting with posts. I always see people saying how intrusive their timelines are, when the algorithm specifically is created by the posts you click on, interact with, and the people you follow. Unfortunately this does mean turning off retweets for some people or muting them altogether. I did this aggressively for a few months and my for you is purely cat pics, cute artwork, and funny posts that are usually made by the person who posted it.

I will say that Twitter is not my choice for communication, and I use it mostly to see what friends are up to and the nice things I get to see. I do hope to move off of it myself, but probably not to another Twitter-like website. There is just no point for me, especially as an artist, as interactions are fleeting and the format isn't the greatest for artwork anyways. Best for advertising that you exist (which I appreciate, since I've found a lot of nice artists and projects on it despite everything).
I totally agree, and I've muted MANY people. But the facts are that social medias will not just push content you like, they'll also show negative content that will make you feel annoyed/mad enough to engage, which is why the "for you" tab on Twitter is like that. Sometimes I get shown things from accounts on the other end of the political spectrum even though I've never interacted with that stuff. Just the way Twitter is unfortunately. The character limit also doesn't help with being able to elaborate a point or see both sides, usually it devolves into "I'm right and anyone who disagrees is a horrible person!!"

Picle

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
As much as I love being able to meet new people and interact with mutuals, the Twitter algorithm only feeds me negative content about unimportant drama. Fr grateful to be able to have chill and respectful conversations here 🙏
Ong!! Squidboards, I'm all here for Squidboards making a resurgence due to Twitter being hot garbage

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
While we're discussing how to kill Twitter, I'd like to take a minute to shill for the Fediverse (you might have heard of it as Mastodon, but that's technically only part of it). Corporate control over social media is the problem, the solution is a fully decentralized platform that no one CEO can ruin.

There's even a Splatoon-themed instance at splatsville.social, I'm hoping this push to get the Splatoon community off Twitter can help grow that place.

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
I totally agree, and I've muted MANY people. But the facts are that social medias will not just push content you like, they'll also show negative content that will make you feel annoyed/mad enough to engage, which is why the "for you" tab on Twitter is like that. Sometimes I get shown things from accounts on the other end of the political spectrum even though I've never interacted with that stuff. Just the way Twitter is unfortunately. The character limit also doesn't help with being able to elaborate a point or see both sides, usually it devolves into "I'm right and anyone who disagrees is a horrible person!!"
I understand what you mean. I have a private alt (as you do) that doesn't have any filters on it, so when I switch to post it's a stream of sewage. It sucks that rage is so easy to get trending, but it's so easy to drive up emotions and get people talking. There are times where I do see something inflammatory and feel like I want to say something, but I've learned not to, as it would only invite more headaches. Better to chat with a friend about it as a throw-away conversation than letting it linger. A happy and calm environment outweighs the want for trouble!

Edit:
While we're discussing how to kill Twitter, I'd like to take a minute to shill for the Fediverse (you might have heard of it as Mastodon, but that's technically only part of it). Corporate control over social media is the problem, the solution is a fully decentralized platform that no one CEO can ruin.

There's even a Splatoon-themed instance at splatsville.social, I'm hoping this push to get the Splatoon community off Twitter can help grow that place.
This looks super cute and fun. I don't really want to use a Twitter-like, so I'll probably pass for now, but I hope this instance sticks around. My only problem with the Fediverse is that I've read of instances being hacked and user data being dumped, or the instance dying off too soon. I'll keep my faith and watch from afar to see how it gets along. Perhaps during a proper Splatoon renaissance I'll be there. HAHAHA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom