Map Strategies

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
So, I don't see any threads in the maps subforum for strategies in different maps. Feel free to discuss different tactics you see that may be effective in different maps.

If you want to look at the different maps, there is a good thread with lots of pictures that is very informative about the different maps we have seen. The link is here: http://squidboards.com/threads/all-multiplayer-maps.148/

XanthiumGames

Inkling
NNID
evantheawesome13
I could definitely see a lot of strategy involving rollers and charger weapons on Arowana Mall as the ramp area looks like it could be swarmed with rollers quite easily. However you can also see that there is elevated platforms where chargers can pick off the other team and even out the playing field. So this looks like a really balanced map to me so far. I guess the same could also be said for Camp Triggerfish as well due to the totem polls and scattered spacious areas. Walleye Warehouse seems to be a close quarters map with a lot of tight corners and the center area for larger fights, quick firing weapons and melee types would probably be my choice for this map. I do hope that in the direct on Thursday we get the announcement of a larger map of sorts that could be more suited for long range users as there really isn't too many maps right now that seem super accustomed to long range battles. Maybe like a field of sorts that's more of a flat map but still has some elevated sweet spots. Currently the unnamed town map that looks like Arowana Mall seems to be the leading figure for long range battles if you ask me :)

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Urchin Underpass looks like it might be good for snipers with those big straight aways, especially if they can keep the corners safe for them to duck into if another sniper challenges them. It's also got good chokepoints for the secondary that makes the ink curtain.

Blackbelly Skatepack has a toooooon of open area, I can see rollers being very popular here just to cover area, and a sniper trying to pick them off before they do too much damage. Inkzooka special weapon will also do a ton of work here I think.

Camp Triggerfish looks like it's got long lines of sight, especially if you're up high, so map awareness will be much higher here. Can't say too much without the map, but I'm guessing a lot of people will be falling into that abundant water.

The Construction Stage looks interesting based on the map. The narrow lanes will be good for setting up the curtain secondary but with no walls it'll be easy to pick off people who try to camp out behind it. Height advantage will be key here I think.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
Strategy certainly feels like it's going to be a big part of the game, with each map having something different to bring to the table. Even some of the little things could make a big difference to the tide of battle!

A little tip i thought i'd point out, is that in Walleye Warehouse, very few people ever decide to take the path to the left of the ramp after spawn. A Roller or Splattershot will really rack up some ink on that path, and it feels like it could rack up a good 2-4% alone of the map!

Another thing that feels like it will come in to the strategy of the game is secondary weapons. In the trial version i found that bomb placement was often key to survival, taking out a camping sniper above you or surprising an enemy around a corner.

Jolpins

Inkling
NNID
LordJolper
Strategy certainly feels like it's going to be a big part of the game, with each map having something different to bring to the table. Even some of the little things could make a big difference to the tide of battle!

A little tip i thought i'd point out, is that in Walleye Warehouse, very few people ever decide to take the path to the left of the ramp after spawn. A Roller or Splattershot will really rack up some ink on that path, and it feels like it could rack up a good 2-4% alone of the map!

Another thing that feels like it will come in to the strategy of the game is secondary weapons. In the trial version i found that bomb placement was often key to survival, taking out a camping sniper above you or surprising an enemy around a corner.
I always went that route, then continued down the side to the enemy spawn to get them from behind. Worked almost every time.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
I always went that route, then continued down the side to the enemy spawn to get them from behind. Worked almost every time.
It's certainly a useful route, and it really helps out the team too, since they usually go straight or to the right, giving you full coverage of your area! Plus there's that neat little grate area where you can drop down and surprise enemies too!

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
that's why I liked setting up camp there to keep enemy going through the center.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
In the third testfire, I don't think I dropped a game on the rig. My plan was basically this:

First I'd like to note by saying the red area is supposed to be the rectangular area that can be reached by two ramps and two elevators. I'm not entirely sure if I circled the right area, I'm having a bit of trouble telling what's what on this map.
Start out the game and splatterhop to the blue area. Cover it in your ink. You should have enough time before an enemy shows up to cover it pretty nicely. After that, move to the red area and just try to hold it. Any enemy who wants to get to the blue area has to go through you. If you cover the two ramps leading up to the red area, rollers become hilariously easy since they'll be in your line of sight for a pretty long time before they can even consider hitting you. While it is possible, I can't really imagine a team losing if they have the whole blue area. Even if you die once, it isn't all that hard to kill the enemy before they can fully take the blue area, and then you can go back to guarding it.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Yeah, strategy is going to make this game's meta fully. Although I don't know how long the competitive scene will last with the seeming lack of features at launch but I do see this being very useful. :)

Kiri

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mallowy
I keep wondering if going for lots of hidden small spots might be able to help win a battle.

On the rig's sniper area there's a ledge that extends for a bit of a ways and after a few matches I noticed it never got sprayed even though it's sprayable.

If one person plays sneaky like that while the rest try to steal the center, would that be of significant help you think?

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I keep wondering if going for lots of hidden small spots might be able to help win a battle.

On the rig's sniper area there's a ledge that extends for a bit of a ways and after a few matches I noticed it never got sprayed even though it's sprayable.

If one person plays sneaky like that while the rest try to steal the center, would that be of significant help you think?
I believe it would be of help, yes. For instance, this is going from just some footage and no actual testing, but the area around spawn in rig is worth 2.9% in the results screen. I think as the game goes on there may be tactics that involve claiming these relatively high-value yet overlooked spots

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
What I'm really interested in is how prominent the one-ways will be in high-level play.

For example, Wall-Eye Warehouse has various ramps and walls that can't either can't be covered in ink, or can't be crossed, thereby forcing opponents to risk going in the line of fire to approach enemy spawns.

I remember seeing Urchin Underpass feature a glass wall that led up to another one-way. I'd like to see how players apply pressure on the opponents with these in mind.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
One things for sure, the effectiveness of weapons is determined depending on the mode and the maps.

Skyward

Inkling
NNID
Skyward9
* On Saltspray Rig, taking the walkway direct to the lower part of the level is a fast way to get there, but you can also shoot from your walkway to the other team's using a Charger and possibly Shooters. You can get some very early kills doing this, while also securing the lower platform for your team.

* At first, I thought the best way to secure Walleye Warehouse was to have someone go down your left side of the map to ink that area. However, I now feel it may be best to ignore that area and charge down centre as not only do you cover more ground, but you are also in a less cramped position to attack the enemy from.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
After the most recent testfire, I'm much more confident in the viability of lockdown strategies. Was able to win all of the matches I played as a charger (which isn't impressive since there weren't that many) by going to either the sniper nest on the top platform in Saltspray Rig or those crates in the center of Walleye Warehouse. Consistently had the lowest points on my team, but I was able to prevent the enemy team from more points than my team.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
People were really not expeccting good chargers I believe, everyone focused on how to take down rollers and chargers dominated, at least felt this way to me :p I was using a charger and only players that gave me real trouble were charger users.

On Walleye Warehouse a charger on the central platform can easily take down incoming enemies, with ONE exception, at the last possible grate to drop, which stays on the right side of the player if he looks to enemy territory, it is protected by a high wall and if you focus on the main path it is hard to look what is going on there, but most people never use that path because it is longer.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
On Saltspray Rig, I always cover the top area as quickly as possible and camp there. Then after splatting 2-3 players, move slowly downwards, closing in on their spawn and caging them.

On Walleye Warehouse, get to the center. Fast. That's pretty much it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom