• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Messtival! 3 Results & Feedback

Njok

Bouncer
Congratulations to NSTC for taking down the third Messtival! tournament.

Bracket

Last Hope made an impressive run, but came just short to make it all the way to victory. Koopa Clan was the upset this time, by not taking second in a Messtival! tournament.

This thread can be used for feedback. There is also a feedback channel on the discord server.

Below i'll list some points we'd love to hear your opinions about, but feel free to complain or compliment about anything.

1. Using Battlefy instead of Challonge, obviously.
2. Discord server and especially the #general-information and #rules channels. Was it clear enough?
3. Rules for game 4 and 5 (or 6 and 7 in Bo7 matches)

We'd like to thank everyone for competing,

and if there will be a next Messtival!, we hope to welcome you all back again.

hero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ftwhero
Enjoyed the tournament and looking forward to a next messtival. I really enjoyed using battlefly, even if it was my first time; i found it a lot more simple, accessible and handy, as it offered a lot more information than challonge. Good Games to everyone we faced! Pretty satisfied on how we played every game except the last two against GK.

Oh i nearly forgot; too much saltspray in the tournament for my likings. I did enjoy being able to choose the last map if losing though; that was cool and offered some nice strategical picks.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
I thought the switch to Battlefy was a rather odd choice. I really like the simplicity of Challonge and the URLs aren't nearly as long. Navigating Challonge is also easier, with Battlefy I had no idea where to click to even see the standings.

Apart from that, good as always. Double elimination is love

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Tournament was very well handled by TOs, you were great at handling anything with the players as far as I saw and the information in the channels was very good. Never had to ask a question myself because of it.
Battlefy is a very good website, and I think it's overall better to use that Challonge just due to how it can list things like maplist and more. It's not as simple and may confuse some people, but I'd like to see it pushed as the main website to be used by TOs.
I think the maplist had a lot of repeats? Maybe it's just because my team played more sets due to being in loser's bracket, but I'm pretty sure they played Camp Zones and Ancho-v TC a lot of times. Maybe this is an unavoidable problem, but I'd like to see if you could prevent repeats a littleee bit more if possible :L
Other than that, very good tournament. Pls make DC rules stricter tyty

Ultramus

Pro Squid
The last 2 maps being picked is about the best compromise I can think between set maps and pick and ban. It is also kinda nice to give more opportunity to the losing team to pick up at least a game and avoid shut-outs. Overall that is better for the scene in creating hype, more game 5s/7s, and most teams have at least 1 favorite map and mode so it didn't really add much time to each set.

Njok

Bouncer
I think the maplist had a lot of repeats? Maybe it's just because my team played more sets due to being in loser's bracket, but I'm pretty sure they played Camp Zones and Ancho-v TC a lot of times. Maybe this is an unavoidable problem, but I'd like to see if you could prevent repeats a littleee bit more if possible :L
Other than that, very good tournament. Pls make DC rules stricter tyty
Both of those were in the maplist twice, there aren't enough combinations to avoid repeats completely. They might have played them more often due to the picking system for game 4 and 5 though.

Also, DC rules stricter in what way?

Njok

Bouncer
Personally I think it's silly if a team can DC while losing and be able to replay.
Which is why the last minute addition is there. If you're behind in the 3rd minute it doesn't mean you are guaranteed to lose. And if it does, you're gonna lose the replay as well. I get you by the way, it's just that there isn't really a viable way to add a rule like that and not have it hold up the tournament immensely.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Which is why the last minute addition is there. If you're behind in the 3rd minute it doesn't mean you are guaranteed to lose. And if it does, you're gonna lose the replay as well. I get you by the way, it's just that there isn't really a viable way to add a rule like that and not have it hold up the tournament immensely.
There was a game CD (not to call them out, they're good players and I'm sure their DC was legit and all) got full wiped with like 1:20 left in the game we were finna win and they dc'd. We had to replay and like **** that's lame.

Njok

Bouncer
A squad I recently joined known as Ink Bandits tried joining this tournament but I was told from the leader they were kicked out. Was there any reason?
Ehhhm, ok?

Are you sure he was talking about this tournament?

I did not kick anyone out. Every team is always welcome to play in any event I organize.

On top of that, I never had any contact with the leader of that squad.

Edit: just went back into the archives. That team filled out the form but did not register on battlefy and did not join the discord server so i had no way to contact them. On the tournament day i saw someone with the IB tag on the server (note that this was not the discord name that the captain registered with) and i even tried to ping him, but no response.

Not once did anyone from this team try to contact me.They did not get kicked out, they never showed up.

For future reference to this team, if you want to join a tournament make sure you do the following things: 1) take all the required steps to register. 2) Have at least some way for a TO to communicate with you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom