Mini Map Opinions

Setu

How important do you guys think the minimap will end up being in competitive play? And do you think it will only be available for gamepad users, or should it be available on the TV screen as well?

I think the minimap will be HUGELY important, and it would be stupid to have it only be available on the gamepad screen. Hopefully it ends up like mk8 where the minimap option was added in an update, because I would like to make use of my $50 pro controller.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
We'll have to see. The map is a huge part of the game, especially since you can see all the places in the level covered in your team's ink, opponent's ink, or areas untouched. This gives players so much information, allowing for more developed strategies and tactics to implemented.

A thing to keep in mind is, along with having a map, the Gamepad also allows players to Super Jump to teammates. If there were an option to have the map be displayed on screen, there would also have to be a way that would allow players to Super Jump to each other without the gamepad. Perhaps players can utilize the D-Pad, though it's tough to say without any information regarding multiple controller options in online multiplayer.

StarKun

Full Squid
I think it'll end up very important. While it doesn't show the exact places where the opponents are, it shows where they're shooting if their ink covers yours.

And the fact that the mini map shows where the ink is makes the map so useful in the long run. Plus putting together the places where the opponents shoot ink and the fact the ink shows on the mini map, you'll know when and where you can safely wash out their ink with your own.

mini maps save lives

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
Probably going to be pre-tty useful. Ink shows on the minimap, so that's cool right?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'd like if it were on the TV as well, since I do hope for split-screen to happen.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Amusingly, I think it'll be less vital in Splat Zones than in Turf Wars. In Splat Zones, you have a huge visual indicator in the game itself that shows you where your objective is. Sure, inking outside of it is useful for maneuvering and building your special, but it's not quite as vital. But in Turf Wars, your objective is... the entire stage. If you can't currently see a spot, the minimap lets you know if it's already claimed, neutral, or in enemy hands, letting you know where you need to head.

Of course, there's also things like how watching where enemy ink is going down can help you estimate where an enemy is--especially if one is trying to flank along a side path that no one's currently watching. That's very useful info to have in any mode.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I would hope there is an option to have a smaller version of the minimap on-screen at all times, whether it's there right away or added in a later patch doesn't matter too much to me. I'll constantly be moving and looking around anyway, so right now I don't think it'll be a big issue. However, I will be playing with the gamepad and it would be very nice to see what's going on just by glancing to the side of the screen, rather than taking my eyes away completely to look at the gamepad.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Just make a translucent minimap on screen, and put super jump actions on the d-pad instead of silly little messages. There, fixed. ;)

Aura

Infiltrator
If they make the same mistake as they did in Mario Kart 8 I will be very disappointed. But will expect it to be patched.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
A minimap on the screen could get a bit complicated and tough to look at. From what we have seen, the minimap itself will change color depending on where ink was spread out across the map. Having a minimap on the screen with that capability could complicate things and take up a good amount of room

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
having an minimap on the tv would probably mean it has to be downscaled to match the size of the hud, and the amount of ink coverage and whatnot might not be visible at a moments glance if it has to be that small. to be honest if it were an option i'd probably leave it off since it would leave some clutter on the hud and it's already immediately visible on the gamepad. however, i'd like for there to be an option FOR it, so that players using a pro controller (assuming that's an option outside the dojo) have some more visual clarity

honestly, how the game handles play without the gamepad is a big question. ideally it would let you use the pro controller if you desire and there's a button prompt for bringing up the map on screen and you can just select players to jump to, but that's obviously not as intuitive or smooth as using the gamepad. however, i'm alright with the pro controller being an "inferior" option, as long as it IS an option

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
the mini map is highly important to get back into the fray quickly. it's going to be pointless to play with a pro controller (to me) because this whole game was designed to be incorporated with the game pad. it's both simultaneously a pain in the booty and a great innovation. forcing people to use the game pad to me is silly, but i understand its importance.

thought provided after my experience at E3 and Pax East

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
sadly with the direct out, i don't think there's going to options for off-tv play or using a pro controller since they didn't mention anything about it. i sure hope its in the base game, but if its not, then maybe they could patch it in later. that sounds like something they would probably do, considering private lobbies are being patches in this august

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'll be very important. A whole map that you can see your allies and allow you to travel to them is really important. I really don't know how would they make it fair to those who prefer to use the Pro Controller.

NNID
KimonBL
yeah it's real important, and i think it's good that they actually utilized the gamepad for this game. in a lot of games, it's just a mirror of what you're doing on the tv.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
I love it I think it's great and perfect. I wish you could click on a part of the map that tells everybody to go somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom