Momentum Canceling in Squid form

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
Hey!

So I found out that while in squid form, if you press the opposite direction and jump, it cancels all forward momentum and allows you to start traveling in the other direction faster than if you just tried to turn around on the ground.

I don't know if this will really affect things, but it does save time. I have a lot of videos I'm rendering, so I'll get up a video in a bit.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Just tested it, and if you let go of the trigger really quickly it seems to be a little faster than jumping.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I doesn't really have much of an effect... but it's something.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Well it's certainly a lot faster than trying to just turn around without momentum cancelling...

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very neat. I'm not sure how useful it will be but we'll have to wait for the meta to develop to see. :)

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I'd imagine this to be very good for juking, similar to wall bouncing in Gears of War, where you could dash wall to wall while firing, making it hard to be shot at.

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
I think becoming human form and changing back to squid may be better if you are trying to stop your momentum
^most likely this, at least switching to human and diving back in will give you more control over the area you are in.

Unessential

Full Squid
I'm pretty sure i subconsiously have been using this in my matches. Just because it "felt" like the right thing to do, but not consiously understanding why. It might have something to do with squid form's mobility being better just in general.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
^most likely this, at least switching to human and diving back in will give you more control over the area you are in.
I actually tested this when the demo was up, I just forgot to let this thread know.
Squid ->human ->Squid is much faster for changing directions in anyway you want.

Sorry man I don't mean to be mean towards your discovery, its unfortunate that there is something else that can do something similar. Perhaps there is another purpose for what you found

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
I go a bit into depth about this in the guide section if you're interested in seeing some examples before we all get to get our hands dirty again :D

best applications I can see so far are 180s or about face movements where it is actually notably different. You can clip some jump lag as well but this will be slightly less significant. That being said if there are 2 or 3 jumps between you and saving a teamate... that could be the difference at high level play, so I'll be focusing on getting it in my head off the bat.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I actually tested this when the demo was up, I just forgot to let this thread know.
Squid ->human ->Squid is much faster for changing directions in anyway you want.

Sorry man I don't mean to be mean towards your discovery, its unfortunate that there is something else that can do something similar. Perhaps there is another purpose for what you found
However, in the fact that you turn into a human again, you are also giving away your position, the the othe team a chance to surround you in ink, making it harder to get away

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
However, in the fact that you turn into a human again, you are also giving away your position, the the othe team a chance to surround you in ink, making it harder to get away
Versus moderately skilled players, they will spot you as soon as you move anyway (while diving), you might as well take the faster option then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom