My problem with the map.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Okay, let me get one thing clear. It's not actually the map I have a problem with but rather the fact that it s only shown on the gamepad. The map itself is fine. It clearly shows my teammates, the map layout, my colour of ink and my opponents colour of ink which is all great. But its position on the gamepad is a real inconvenience. I find that the gamepad, being a second screen, is difficult to look at on the fly because its so far away. I know that it sounds really lazy but its the truth..

This problem is only heightened by motion controls. I like the default controls and I'm sure many others do too. You move the gamepad a lot for aiming so when you need to look at the map you have to move it to your field of vision. Its a big inconvenience to look at the gamepad only the fly with motion controls when I should be doing other stuff. I feel like I'm not being as efficient as I should be. It sounds like a nitpick but honestly for me its a big deal. Pretty much the only time I get a good look at the map is when I'm about to respawn (when you're doing nothing but waiting).

I think it would be very useful to have a minimap on the side of the screen (not gamepad screen) because its just easier to look at it that way while on the fly. Also, since communication is very limited in this game, having an easy to access map would in my opinion alleviate this problem because players would notice themselves what areas of the map need to be taken care of.

What do you think? Map issues or no map issues?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Yup, a clone of the map which is shown on the gamepad on the main screen would be a huuuge benefit. Nintendo patched a map on the screen in Mario Kart, so maybe they will do it here, too?

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
I think a zoomed in version of your immediate area could be added to the bottom right for people who want quick info

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
I think a zoomed in version of your immediate area could be added to the bottom right for people who want quick info
this.

I made a thread about the map a while ago. It would be so much better having an on-screen version

Leather Belt

Inkling
NNID
CannonMinion
I actually really want the map to be on screen so I don't have to glance down at my hands as often. It's actually really inconvenient in its current state. It'd also be great if I could then plug a pro controller in to play multiplayer. It would just feel more comfortable I think.

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
I actually really want the map to be on screen so I don't have to glance down at my hands as often. It's actually really inconvenient in its current state. It'd also be great if I could then plug a pro controller in to play multiplayer. It would just feel more comfortable I think.
I think this game utilises the gamepad better than all other Nintendo games I've played. Switching to pro-controller would for the first time make you a worse player. Not being able to superjump, see the entire map in real time or fire inkstrikes without reaching for another device would be unacceptable.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I think this game utilises the gamepad better than all other Nintendo games I've played. Switching to pro-controller would for the first time make you a worse player. Not being able to superjump, see the entire map in real time or fire inkstrikes without reaching for another device would be unacceptable.
Yes, I agree that the gamepad itself is fine in Splatoon but a minimap on the main screen would just be very useful so we don't have to glance down all the time. Not having the gamepad would definitely be more of a hassle than map issues would ever be because super jumping is simple and the added motion controls (which in my opinion is the best way to go.)

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I actually like the way the mini map is handled, once you are done with your business somewhere, you look down on your map, just take a second to do so!
If it's too much too look down, just lift your Game Pad into eyesight, you either adapt your eyes of moving around, or adapt your arms moving around, pick one and enjoy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom