(Neo) Splash-o-matic pre and post 2.7.0 update analisys

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Note: A lot of what i say here is based on the neo variant, which i find to be the better variant and the one i use more often.
Note 2: Somewhat long, i tend to make these longer than necessary.

The splash-o-matic for a long time was a very underused weapon, but for understandable reasons. Now before i get into detail why that is, i want to talk a little about my own experience with the weapon.

Before picking up the splash-o-matic i used to main the tentatek, but after noticing how much the tentatek was being used, i decided to try a different weapon with similar stats. I tried the n-zap and .52, but i sucked at using both. So i tried out the splash and found great succes with it (both variants btw). After reaching higher ranks however, I started struggling with it (especially in S+). I did relatively well with it, but found that i was at a disadvantage quite often, even against weapons within my range. I never really understood why. I always thought that i sucked with it and that i should practice more, but i always had the thought in the back of my head that something was off. i decided to look up all the stats for the weapon and i was pretty shocked.

(PRE 2.7.0)
Usually how it works is that the less range a weapon has, the faster it's able to splat and the more mobility it has. This is obvious with a lot of weapon classes: sloshers, chargers, blasters, rollers and even shooters. But this wasn't exactly the case however for the splash (and even the splattershot jr to an extent). The splash-o-matic was outclassed by several weapons within it's range and even out of it's range. The splattershot for example has better range, better ttk and the same mobility. So in a perfect matchup, the splattershot beats out the the splash. The .52 gal has better range, much better ttk, but less mobility. Again, beats it out. And this is without taking splash walls into account. The n-zap has better range, same ttk and better mobility, so again it's beaten. This is also the case with a lot of other weapons like the luna and octobrush which have large area's of damage, which makes it really hard to get within the splashes optimal range, jr because bubble and surpsingly enough even the sploosh. The range difference between the two is small, but the ttk difference is surprisingly large. Couple that with the fact that the sploosh can easily put you in it's effective range, and it essentially outclassed the splash. Now of course all that doesn't mean the weapon is bad. Not at all. I could do very well with the weapon in S and even managed to reach S+ once with. But once i used it there, all bets were off. Negative KD's every match until i eventually drop out. I had to continously use the custom jet and forge so i don't lose my rank, which i wasn't too fond of besides them being my favorite. I hate that i couldn't use a favorite simply because of so many drawbacks. I had to play super aggro, but be extra careful so i don't get destroyed in the process by literally everything else. I'm not even sure if i'm the one that just sucked at using it.

Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked (lel).

(2.7.0)
News broke out of a new update and i was anxiously awaiting the patch notes. I thought they would be minor changes, but i was wrong. Very wrong. I scrolled down to see if my favorite weapons were buffed and there they were. CJS and Pro were buffed and i was happy with those, but the one that stuck out the most to me.........
Screenshot_2016-05-20-12-26-34-1.png

I almost had a heart attack. All i ever wanted was a faster fire rate to make up for it's range, but instead it got an increase in range and i honestly think that's a much better buff (plus the increase in shot velocity also boosted it's ttk just a smidge). Alright it's better, but can i use it in S+ without being a liability? Apperently yes. I wasn't winning every match, but i did feel like i was helping my team more than getting in their way. And i was winning matchups against weapons i normally always trade or lose against, tentateks, octobrushes, splooshes and even luna's and sometimes getting KD's better than my teammates. After doing decently with it and surpsisingly enough not dropping out of S+, it just happened one morning. Tower control (my favorite mode) on museum and mall. I decided to use it for the whole rotation. I win three matches and think, alright next one's a loss. I won the match, and thought the same again. I ended up going on this huge winning streak going from S+ 30 all the way to S+ 90. i was shocked. My kness were weak, mom was making spaghetti (lel). And not just normal wins. Getting consistently great and more often than not even better KD's than my teammates who had weapons that usually outperformed the splash. After that i lost twice and i'm currently sitting at 70+, but man, that was a rush. The extra range makes it so that i can be more aggresive with it, without as many drawbacks as before. I'm still not sure if it was the buff, me getting better or 2.7.0 in it's entirety (or all three), but it felt great kicking butt with the neo splash. And feels awesome seeing other splashes in S+, something that was as rare as finding a shiny pokemon. All in all i would say this weapon got the buff it desperately needed. I'm not sure how it would perform in a tournament setting, but i have hope that it'll do well and that more people will pick it up and do great with it.

Source for weapon ttk's: http://squidboards.com/threads/frame-data-spreadsheet.22266/
Source for weapon mobilities: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3wkov2/weapon_mobility_chart_ver_11/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom